Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BALS-CS Concentration or Excelsior BOPS Tech Mgmt?
(08-26-2021, 12:03 PM)degree4nana Wrote:
(08-26-2021, 10:35 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I would suggest getting the TESU ASNSM Comp Sci + BALS NSM. I don't believe that it's possible to get the computer science concentration with just alternate credit (though I could be mistaken). https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...centration

If you graduate with both degrees at the same time, there are no additional fees from TESU.

This is a very interesting idea I hadn't considered.  Did it require you to take more than 120 SH or was the overlap such that you were able to do both with 120 hours?

I have not actually done this route myself. But it shouldn't require more than 120 credits if you plan it correctly. 12 of the BALS UL credits would work as comp sci electives for the ASNSM. Any extra credits required for the ASNSM that aren't strictly required for the BALS (such as the extra math) are AOS electives for the Bachelor's degree.

Essentially, fill out the ASNSM using the 4 UL Comp Sci courses (12 credits). Add 2 more comp sci courses (6 credits) to complete the AOS. 9 more credits in science/math/comp sci, including the 3 non-comp sci UL credits. This is 27 NSM credits. The BALS requires a total of 30 lib studies credits, so you'll just need one more lib studies 3-credit class (can be anything). Make sure that no more than two classes (6 credits) are 100-level. 

If you fill out the gen ed requirements for the BALS, you'll automatically meet the gen ed requirements for the ASNSM.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • degree4nana
(08-26-2021, 12:03 PM)degree4nana Wrote:
(08-26-2021, 10:35 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I would suggest getting the TESU ASNSM Comp Sci + BALS NSM. I don't believe that it's possible to get the computer science concentration with just alternate credit (though I could be mistaken). https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...centration

If you graduate with both degrees at the same time, there are no additional fees from TESU.

This is a very interesting idea I hadn't considered.  Did it require you to take more than 120 SH or was the overlap such that you were able to do both with 120 hours?

If you plan it out right you can use the same 120 credits for and cover both - or just a few over.  And there are many of us who came here after 30+ years to finally get that degree done; I was one. TESU requires the least UL - which will generally mean the least writing.  Pick your plan and 'get it done' Smile
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • degree4nana
If that's the case, I would change my previous recommendation from a BSBA GM to a BSBA CIS, and you can get the ASNSM CS along with it using the same credits. I don't see the utility of the BALS GM or BALS NSM as much as the BSBA GM or the BSBA CIS. You're using the same exact courses for both degrees, the main difference is the BALS capstone vs the BSBA capstone and the professional business requirement courses. You're already taking some CLEPs towards those BSBA requirements anyways. I still vouch for the BSBA but changing my stance from the GM to the CIS AOS.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • degree4nana
(08-26-2021, 10:46 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: Just to toss it out there for those that did XAMK's game courses those take care of all the needed computer courses. I didn't think it would but it did For the TESU ASNSM Comp Sci

This thread has me thinking we might have met the requirements of the ASNSM Computer Science.  Wasn't sure, though, if this degree requires statistics rather than college algebra and CSMLearn?  Can't remember how many credits you earned with XAMK game creation courses.  We did modules 10-18 and Sophia's Intro to IT.  Does that qualify us for the ASNSM Computer Science?
As it stands right now, just CSM Learn should meet the requirements of the ASNSM Comp Sci: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/Current/...er-Science

As long as you've met the gen ed requirements, you should have more than enough credits for the Associate degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • k-k-k-katy
Not sure if OP still is watching this thread but I like Bjcheung77's idea of BSBA CIS with the ASNSM CS.

TESU takes old credits, you get all credits done, then take the Capstone/SOS-110.  While you're taking courses, you may as well do Business 315: Logistics & Supply Chain Management on Study.com, use as one of your free electives. 

I would also suggest doing CompTia a+ and one of the top supply chain certifications such as the CSCP.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(10-17-2021, 03:17 AM)rachel83az Wrote: As it stands right now, just CSM Learn should meet the requirements of the ASNSM Comp Sci: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/Current/...er-Science

As long as you've met the gen ed requirements, you should have more than enough credits for the Associate degree.
Great!  Thanks!
(10-17-2021, 05:54 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Not sure if OP still is watching this thread but I like Bjcheung77's idea of BSBA CIS with the ASNSM CS.

TESU takes old credits, you get all credits done, then take the Capstone/SOS-110.  While you're taking courses, you may as well do Business 315: Logistics & Supply Chain Management on Study.com, use as one of your free electives. 

I would also suggest doing CompTia a+ and one of the top supply chain certifications such as the CSCP.
Thank you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  European seeking advice for a tech degree to study a master's in Europe unfinesredondo 5 725 01-04-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Help, degree plan for Excelsior BS in IT LuisaKönig 5 518 01-04-2024, 11:53 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  I want a UMPI BABA MGMT/LDRSHP with honors HeatherCO 7 560 12-19-2023, 03:54 PM
Last Post: HeatherCO
  Psychology or Liberal Arts with Excelsior University H31d1 6 517 10-01-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: H31d1
  Cost of TESU vs. Excelsior TwinMom 13 1,338 08-22-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: turtlepuff1234111
  Please review my plan: Excelsior BS in Business (General Business) Sheet Included colonel 7 568 08-21-2023, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Excelsior University UL courses hoffdeb 7 786 08-11-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BALS using military TA hammerall 3 392 06-25-2023, 01:48 PM
  TESU or EXCELSIOR moho23 8 923 05-26-2023, 08:50 PM
  Planning Advice for BS/BA Project/Oper Mgmt joshh 1 413 05-26-2023, 08:43 PM