Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BAS (for AAS holders) vs BLS
So, YourPace students can get BAS instead of BLS, providing that they already hold AAS degree. Both BAS and BLS are university-wide majors, however, YourPace website does not explicitly says that students might be eligible for BAS. 
I've graduated with BOG AAS this May and so I talked to Jessica and she confirmed that I am eligible to switch to BAS. I am waiting for an updated evaluation report now. 

These are links with program requirements for BLS and BAS degrees:
https://www.umpi.edu/files/academics/pro...es_BLS.pdf
https://www.umpi.edu/files/academics/pro...ce_BAS.pdf

Note: these pdfs are posted on the main website, so listed requirements might not be exactly accurate. As it was many times discussed, curriculum for YourPace students is not necessarily equivalent to the curricula for on-campus and online programs.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU
[-] The following 1 user Likes NoStudentNoCry's post:
  • ISKBizz15
Yup, the main difference are the requirements for the degree. The BAS sounds better than a BLS, but it's personal preference. Technically, you can take YourPace courses towards the AALS and the BAS with permission. So, I would add the AALS to your degree plan, free!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, ISKBizz15
(07-28-2021, 07:17 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yup, the main difference are the requirements for the degree.  The BAS sounds better than a BLS, but it's personal preference.  Technically, you can take YourPace courses towards the AALS and the BAS with permission.  So, I would add the AALS to your degree plan, free!

Has anyone actually done this at UMPI? I know you keep telling people to do it, but have you actually asked UMPI about it? You can't complete most of the concentrations for the AALS in YourPace.
Yup, I have, I sent email correspondence to the admissions team and Leah tried to answer my questions.  She didn't get too far with the answers and forwarded my questions to Alex in the Registrar's office and he confirmed my assumptions.

My thoughts on YourPace and their regulations, it's flexible.  There are requirements, transfer them all in, take courses only for YourPace into their Concentrations/Minors (all 30 residency credits).  End up with an AALS and BAS instead of a BLS!

Note: To answer your question in regard to "concentrations" for the AALS, by using courses in YourPace, you can do the "General Concentration", whatever you are using for the BAS, those 30 credits would be used in the concentration.

OP didn't link the AALS, it's located at the bottom of this Academic Maps: https://www.umpi.edu/academics/liberal-studies/
AALS PDF Link (shows requirements) https://www.umpi.edu/files/academics/pro...ies_AA.pdf

Fri, May 14, 2021 at 2:13 PM Leah
I have CC Alex in the Registrar's office to see if he knows the answer about the last two questions.

2) If a student is interested in a BAS and an AALS, can they get the AALS en route to completing the BAS?  For example, they complete the AALS in one term and then work on the BAS, having everything from the AALS transfer over to the BAS.

3) If a student has almost completed the courses for an AAS and hasn't graduated yet, can they still apply for the BAS?  For example, a student might want to complete a few courses at UMPI and transfer them into the AAS program and then start the process to complete the BAS at UMPI.

Fri, May 14, 2021 at 11:58 AM Alex
It's no problem to do both. The easiest way to do so is to matriculate into the BAS program, and ask your professional academic advisor to also set you up with the Associate's program. That way the Bachelor's program will be the primary one, and you'll still be considered an active student without having to reapply, etc.

Sat, May 15, 2021 at 6:52 PM Bryan Cheung
That's so awesome.  I'll let my cousin know as he is really interested in this degree program from UMPI.  He's looking to complete an Associates in Applied Science from his current institution.

Since he has some courses left to take, he would like to take those at UMPI (example English I and II, and some general education/free electives) and transfer them back into his current program.

Once he is done with the program, he would like to complete his BAS with a minor in Management Information Systems if there is an option for that, if not, then a BLS Minor in MIS.

Actually, I have one more question:  Does this work for the "Online YourPace" CBE programs as well?  Thanks again for your help!

May 17, 2021, 9:34 AM Alex
Hi Bryan,

I don't see why not. As long as all of the courses you are taking are offered through YourPace, they would all fall under the flat-rate tuition provided to YourPace students.

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ISKBizz15
I said you can't do most of the concentrations in YourPace. I know you can do the general one but what's the point? If you're getting a bachelor's degree an associate degree doesn't really show anything especially if it's just a general studies one. I have 2 associate degrees - an AAS and an AS. The AAS one was useful because it was in business with an accounting concentration and the AS in Individual Studies was useless for finding a job.
Yes, I agree. The Associates is somewhat pointless and useless if the Bachelors or beyond is where the final goal is. Some people like my cousin likes to have "stepping stones" before they go for the Big Finish. I am like that too, having said that, I usually only recommend the Associates if it doesn't add too much energy/money/time into getting that degree. In the case of OP, that BOG AAS is practically free en route to the Bachelors, and it actually opened the door for a BAS vs a BLS... again, for those who want it, get it, for those who don't, skip it!

[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, Mr T
What's the difference between the BAS and BLS?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-28-2021, 11:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: What's the difference between the BAS and BLS?

The requirements. See the first post, there are links. Jessica emailed me a couple hours ago and confirmed that these documents apply to YourPace students.
For example, BAS student must take at least 12 credits at UMPI for minor. BLS student can use transfer credits for their minor.

(07-28-2021, 11:13 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: In the case of OP, that BOG AAS is practically free en route to the Bachelors, and it actually opened the door for a BAS vs a BLS... again, for those who want it, get it, for those who don't, skip it!

True. That was a stepping stone for me. 
I don't plan to get additional associates at UMPI, but maybe someone would want to have it just because.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

(07-28-2021, 11:13 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, I agree.  The Associates is somewhat pointless and useless if the Bachelors or beyond is where the final goal is.  Some people like my cousin likes to have "stepping stones" before they go for the Big Finish.  I am like that too, having said that, I usually only recommend the Associates if it doesn't add too much energy/money/time into getting that degree.  In the case of OP, that BOG AAS is practically free en route to the Bachelors, and it actually opened the door for a BAS vs a BLS... again, for those who want it, get it, for those who don't, skip it!

You already have to have an AAS to get into the BAS so you'd already have an associate degree. You don't complete it at UMPI. A second associate degree is even more pointless.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • ashkir
So BAS only requires 18 UL credits vs 30+ UL credits for BLS.

Also, it turns out that will all my transfers and required UMPI classes I am all set to get AALS with business administration concentration. I absolutely agree that getting AALS is pointless... but since it's free, so I got that added that to my plan.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Admission for GCE-Advance Level Holders fritzdale 16 971 11-08-2023, 04:38 PM