Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BSBA - COSC vs TESU?
Question 
Hello, I am thinking of getting a BSBA at COSC but I see a lot of people getting their degree's at TESU.

Is there a particular reason for this?

Thanks!
(11-29-2018, 02:16 PM)toasty13 Wrote: Hello, I am thinking of getting a BSBA at COSC but I see a lot of people getting their degree's at TESU.

Is there a particular reason for this?

Thanks!

Three reasons. First, up until the last year, TESU was demonstrably cheaper, now not so much. Second, COSC requires 30 UL credits to TESU's 18, which makes it easier to find cheap courses and to use community college credits.

The third reason is just that we have more experience with TESU. If there were more people here with COSC experience, it would get talked about more and we would know more about working their system better.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • jsd, toasty13
3 more reasons:

1) COSC takes longer, because you have to take the cornerstone and capstone through them, and I think it has to be in separate terms (but not certain on that).

2) COSC requires 2 science courses, with 1 having a lab - and that adds an extra cost and extra time for most people. But the degree is still cheaper than TESU, so it's not a bad option.

3) Probably the main issue - and this isn't specific to COSC - is that you can't get good advising until you're enrolled. What does create a problem though, is that at COSC, there are per-term fees. So if you need help, you can't get it until you're ready to start paying for it (basically). This is probably an expansion of davewill's 3rd reason above.

But honestly, if you don't mind taking a lab, and you don't mind doing all of your courses without any advising (meaning you could be off by one or two), and then finalizing your plan once you apply and see where your 114cr apply (and hope that you did everything correctly), COSC is a perfectly good option.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • toasty13
Doesn't Charter Oak also take the actual grades from any courses you transfer in? For instance, if you transfer Straighterline or Study.com credits to TESU, it's a pass/fail. I think with COSC, they document the actual grades. So you can't just skate along and get passes, you have to try to get high grades.

(11-29-2018, 05:19 PM)Mab81 Wrote: Doesn't Charter Oak also take the actual grades from any courses you transfer in? For instance, if you transfer Straighterline or Study.com credits to TESU, it's a pass/fail. I think with COSC, they document the actual grades. So you can't just skate along and get passes, you have to try to get high grades.

I think that if you send an ACE transcript, they give you Cr/NC.  If you send the transcripts from SL and/or Study.com, then you can get a grade.  At least, that's what I recall hearing in the past (although only about SL).  Not sure if they do this any longer or not.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
*Raise Hand**Answers Q* - My 3 reasons for deciding on TESU/WGU vs COSC/Excelsior

1) University vs College:  TESU recently changed their name from TESC to TESU, the name sounded better than the other two.
2) Course provider and equivalency is more transparent and known for the BALS/BSBA degrees, it's easier to determine which course goes where as the credit provider websites show an equivalency for transfer credits.
3) The main reason I chose TESU is for the secondary ACBSP accreditation before I would have recommended Excelsior as it has IACBE (although it is secondary programmatic accreditation, it's the least known), COSC doesn't.

Nowadays, my recommendations have changed for the different types of degrees.  If it was a degree in Arts or General Studies/Liberal Studies, I would recommend COSC for the cost.  For a business degree I recommend TESU, for ABET programs I recommend Excelsior, and for Education/Nursing or IT my recommendation is WGU.  

I look at three things, cheap/easy/fast when I search for online programs, but I also want the extra value for what I pay for... and even though TESU is slightly more expensive than COSC, it's ACBSP accredited status makes up for it!  You can't find another ACBSP program anywhere but at WGU, and I am heading there for the Masters level.

dfrecore Wrote:
Mab81 Wrote:Doesn't Charter Oak also take the actual grades from any courses you transfer in? For instance, if you transfer Straighterline or Study.com credits to TESU, it's a pass/fail. I think with COSC, they document the actual grades. So you can't just skate along and get passes, you have to try to get high grades.

I think that if you send an ACE transcript, they give you Cr/NC.  If you send the transcripts from SL and/or Study.com, then you can get a grade.  At least, that's what I recall hearing in the past (although only about SL).  Not sure if they do this any longer or not.

Yes, that's right, any credits that come directly from the institution will receive grades, those that come from ACE Credit Registry will not - you will only get a P (pass) for those that come from ACE.  So, if you use ACE/NCCRS, if the course provider can send those credits directly to COSC, you'll have an external GPA.  See this post for details and a workable BSBA plan by screenshot https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Transcript
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • JWells247
(11-29-2018, 07:54 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
dfrecore Wrote:
Mab81 Wrote:Doesn't Charter Oak also take the actual grades from any courses you transfer in? For instance, if you transfer Straighterline or Study.com credits to TESU, it's a pass/fail. I think with COSC, they document the actual grades. So you can't just skate along and get passes, you have to try to get high grades.

Yes, that's right, any credits that come directly from the institution will receive grades, those that come from ACE Credit Registry will not - you will only get a P (pass) for those that come from ACE.  So, if you use ACE/NCCRS, if the course provider can send those credits directly to COSC, you'll have an external GPA.  See this post for details and a workable BSBA plan by screenshot https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Transcript

So really, you can pick and choose which grades you send (A's only please!) and which you don't (everything else).

I do seem to remember cookderosa requesting specific courses from SL, and unfortunately, they sent ALL of the courses, including the ones she didn't want that didn't have great grades.  So be careful of that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 935 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 271 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU BA psychology - need help with degree plan amleigh 17 839 12-16-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 39,169 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
Big Grin Degree Plan for SNHU BSCS AND/OR TESU BACS Request suzycupcake 10 1,236 06-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 11 3,068 01-29-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  Places to park electronics + computer PLA credits (BOG AAS + TESU AAS) xicovu 17 1,523 09-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: xicovu
  COSC - RA credits for general studies degree Antonella 5 932 09-20-2022, 04:23 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Workload at Excelsior & TESU clarissa23 4 1,083 06-15-2022, 11:48 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BACS v.s. SNHU BSCS npvn2 25 3,872 03-20-2022, 09:44 PM
Last Post: npvn2