Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BSBA Marketing (possible dual degree CIS)
I am very thankful for having found this message board! In the past few days, I have found it to be filled with useful information in helping boost my confidence in continuing with my BSBA. I recently applied to TESU and plan to transfer all my general education credits by mid-July and start TESU in August of this year. I plan to connect with an advisor regarding credits this week to go over my degree plan. 

I am in my early 40s and have not taken any college-level coursework in many many years. I have a few professional certifications (CompTIA A+, etc) but they have since expired as I changed job roles. I have 6 credits (Eng Comp I & II) from a 4-year private university but unsure if I have to retake these courses as it's been over 20 years. 

For general education credits, I plan to utilize study.com and Sophia.org. I am not confident I will test out via CLEP.  I do want to maximize taking 4 courses per month. I work a 12-hour job M-F so I think 4 weeks should be manageable with my current work/life balance. I signed up for 4 courses on study.com but there are so many quizzes! 

Should I lean into Sophia.org courses or continue with study.com for general education? 

Appreciate any advice you can provide!
For gen eds, don't bother with SDC if possible. Most of them are available both cheaper and easier on Sophia. Possible exceptions are English Comp I/II and maybe American Government. We do not yet know the format of the Sophia American Government class. It may or may not be easier than the option available at SDC or even Saylor.

SDC is where you'll take UL classes and about half of business core. Are you following the wiki for your degree plan(s)?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, ThePA
Thank you for your advice!

Since I paid for this month on SDC, I'll finish 2 courses/exam and pause my membership until I'm ready to take UL courses. I will move on to Sophia for gen eds.
I did start with the wiki area for my degree plan, but I was curious to see if I could add CIS as a dual degree. I was always interested in that field.
I'll speak with an advisor to see if my English Comp I/II credits from previous university are transferable.
(04-12-2023, 08:51 AM)ThePA Wrote: Thank you for your advice!

Since I paid for this month on SDC, I'll finish 2 courses/exam and pause my membership until I'm ready to take UL courses. I will move on to Sophia for gen eds.
I did start with the wiki area for my degree plan, but I was curious to see if I could add CIS as a dual degree. I was always interested in that field.
I'll speak with an advisor to see if my English Comp I/II credits from previous university are transferable.

If you know you're going to do at least the BSBA try to get more (UL) complete at SDC this month - maximize your membership while you have it. This is not traditional path - you do not need to earn your LL before completing UL credits. Plus if you earn ULs while you have the new start momentum the LLs will seem like a walk in the park later Smile . Next thing, Don't Ask the Advisor about your Comp I/II - they are often unreliable. I personally transferred into TESU RA college credits for Comp I & II that were (well) over 20 years without issue (I'm not alone in this). Comp I/II require a C or better at TESU, so as long that is where your grades are you should be fine. If you have already applied you'll know for certain this works for you once your evaluation is complete.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 2 users Like allvia's post:
  • rachel83az, ThePA
FWIW, there is nothing stopping you from doing the UL classes early and then filling in the gen eds later.

You can do both CIS and Marketing, yes. Advising will probably tell you that you cannot, but there are only 3 credits of overlap in the AOS. It's fine.

Do not talk to advising. They will lie or give you misinformation. Send in your old transcripts from whatever college or university that you previously attended. You need to do that anyway. Outside of the AOS, TESU will accept RA credits of any age. If you already took English Comp, you shouldn't need to take it again.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ThePA
Hi ThePA, yes, I also suggest completing Sophia.org first and then move to Study.com, you can put your SDC membership on pause. You may also want to fill us in with more detail by filling out the template and last post addendum here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ThePA
Skip the advising meeting with TESU and use the Wiki and the forum, you'll thank us later.

Yes, TESU will take your English Comp I & II credits, as long as you got a C or higher on each. Doesn't matter how old they are, they will take very old Gen Eds, Free Electives, and the Business Core; even the AoS allows up to 9cr of courses greater than 10y old.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 515 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 451 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 475 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 373 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 359 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 333 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 291 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 650 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,381 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 614 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch