Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to school for BA Public Health
Hello all,
I am new to the forum. I am 26 years old and just enrolled to an online school (SNHU) for my public health degree.

I have been working in the healthcare field full time for the last 6 years and its time I get my degree. My real reason for posting here is, I have zero resources to speak with anyone that has the same degree. I have so many questions! 

First i would like to ask if anyone else majored in Public health; did you enjoy it? Was there a lot of math involved? 
Is there any books, podcasts, video channels that are good to subscribe to? 

Sorry for all the questions and seeming very naive, i am just very anxious and excited to start on 10/31/2018!
Congratulations on making the decision to go back to school!  You will find that most people on this forum are not using the traditional route to a degree.  They are gathering credits from non traditional sources and then transferring to a school that accepts such credits.  While many will take one or two courses from their chosen colleges, most will not take more traditional courses than necessary, in order to graduate in less time while spending less money for their degree.  If you read some of the posts, you can get a better idea of what transpires around here.  There was a post not too long ago about SNHU.   I will try to link you to that thread:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...light=SNHU

Good luck with your endeavor!
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hsfamfun's post:
  • theofficespaceguy
Thank you so much for the info!! That is not something i though about doing. I will look into this. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain that info Smile
I know Excelsior's tuition rate is high, but you can ultimately save a lot by testing out of your general education requirements and using certifications to earn credits for the public health/health science requirements. You can self-study for a pharmacy technician certification and earn 24 credits.

https://www.excelsior.edu/credit-for-hea...s-licenses

https://www.excelsior.edu/programs/healt...lor-degree

Other than stats, public health is not math-heavy. If you concentrate in epidemiology or bioinformatics, there will be more stats. I know someone with a public health degree from a traditional school, and she's not smart at all.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,616 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 149 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,939 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 618 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 376 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  A Look Back at College Closures and Mergers in 2023 LevelUP 0 277 12-22-2023, 11:09 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 320 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 437 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 256 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM