Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic Questions Compilation (Primer/FAQ for Newcomers)
I've been reading the forum and building my degree plan for the past few days. Having spent 12 hours each day for three days in a row (and probably around 10 hours by the end of today), I created a decent number of threads. Smile I didn't want to start too many, so I instead compiled the questions on more basic topics, so that I could post them in a single thread. Feel free to answer to few or as many as you feel like answering.  

Basics
- For Free Electives, can you take any ACE-evaluated course on Study.com/SL/Saylor, or are TESU equivalencies still needed (even for Free Electives, you have to choose courses in the equivalency lists)?
- Are DSST online tests similar TECEP, or they're only in-person at test centers (I searched 15 minutes for this but couldn't find an answer)?

TESU/TECEP/AOS/UL
- For the TESU English Area of Study courses, can they be only English or Literature courses—or it's possible to include Communication, Language, Education or another type of course?
- UL courses must be an Area of Study course to meet your UL course minimum, correct?
- For courses that contribute to your GPA, do UL courses count more for GPA , and do 2xx-level courses count more for GPA than 1xx courses?
- What is the maximum number of TECEPs you can take during the 12-week period, and the maximum you can take in a month?
- Can you take the Cornerstone anytime?
(11-20-2018, 12:39 AM)pws Wrote: - For Free Electives, can you take any ACE-evaluated course on Study.com/SL/Saylor, or are TESU equivalencies still needed (even for Free Electives, you have to choose courses in the equivalency lists)?

You can generally take any ACE/NCCRS recommended course for free electives. Well, other than Shmoop courses.

(11-20-2018, 12:39 AM)pws Wrote: - Are DSST online tests similar TECEP, or they're only in-person at test centers (I searched 15 minutes for this but couldn't find an answer)?

They are the same as CLEP exams. You have to take them in-person at a proctored test center.

(11-20-2018, 12:39 AM)pws Wrote: - UL courses must be an Area of Study course to meet your UL course minimum, correct?

Yes.

(11-20-2018, 12:39 AM)pws Wrote: - For courses that contribute to your GPA, do UL courses count more for GPA , and do 2xx-level courses count more for GPA than 1xx courses?

All graded courses are the same as far as GPA goes.

(11-20-2018, 12:39 AM)pws Wrote: - What is the maximum number of TECEPs you can take during the 12-week period, and the maximum you can take in a month?

There is none as far as I know. Well other than the number of available TECEP's anyway.

(11-20-2018, 12:39 AM)pws Wrote: - Can you take the Cornerstone anytime?

Because it's not a normal course, it is possible that you may be able to take the capstone as soon as the registration is official, but I'm not sure about that. At the least you can take it any time after the term begins.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • pws
(11-20-2018, 01:11 AM)Merlin Wrote: [...]

Thank you, Merlin. Smile
You have to wait until the term you're registered for starts to do the cornerstone. (12/3 can't come quick enough for me!)
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(11-20-2018, 10:40 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: You have to wait until the term you're registered for starts to do the cornerstone. (12/3 can't come quick enough for me!)

I enrolled in mine late. I just sent them an email and they let me register for the previous term that had already begun.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
For ACE transcripts, do you decide which credits you transfer over to TESU, or when you have your ACE transcript sent to TESU, they all get transferred automatically (no choice in the matter)?

I'm wondering because, if someone wants to do two degrees, would that mean that it wouldn't be possible to do courses of the second degree while doing the first, because they could end up being transferred over as Free or General Electives in the 1st degree?
(11-20-2018, 04:15 PM)pws Wrote: For ACE transcripts, do you decide which credits you transfer over to TESU, or when you have your ACE transcript sent to TESU, they all get transferred automatically (no choice in the matter)?

I'm wondering because, if someone wants to do two degrees, would that mean that it wouldn't be possible to do courses of the second degree while doing the first, because they could end up being transferred over as Free or General Electives in the 1st degree?

For starters, if they aren't in the AOS, it doesn't matter, the courses can be used for both degrees. Otherwise, if you're doing both degrees at the same time, you'll declare that and both degrees will show up in your academic eval, and you'll be able to ask advising to place courses in one or the other, if it matters. If you're doing them serially, then you'll want to wait until the first degree confers before taking courses for the second so they'll be new ones as it's not enough that the courses weren't used in the first degree, you actually need 24 NEW credits taken after the first degree is conferred.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • pws
(11-20-2018, 04:21 PM)davewill Wrote: For starters, if they aren't in the AOS, it doesn't matter, the courses can be used for both degrees. Otherwise, if you're doing both degrees at the same time, you'll declare that and both degrees will show up in your academic eval, and you'll be able to ask advising to place courses in one or the other, if it matters. If you're doing them serially, then you'll want to wait until the first degree confers before taking courses for the second so they'll be new ones as it's not enough that the courses weren't used in the first degree, you actually need 24 NEW credits taken after the first degree is conferred.

Great, thanks!
(11-20-2018, 04:21 PM)davewill Wrote:
(11-20-2018, 04:15 PM)pws Wrote: For ACE transcripts, do you decide which credits you transfer over to TESU, or when you have your ACE transcript sent to TESU, they all get transferred automatically (no choice in the matter)?

For starters, if they aren't in the AOS, it doesn't matter, the courses can be used for both degrees. Otherwise, if you're doing both degrees at the same time, you'll declare that and both degrees will show up in your academic eval, and you'll be able to ask advising to place courses in one or the other, if it matters. If you're doing them serially, then you'll want to wait until the first degree confers before taking courses for the second so they'll be new ones as it's not enough that the courses weren't used in the first degree, you actually need 24 NEW credits taken after the first degree is conferred.

What if you are trying to earn the two degrees in the same graduation cycle? Does this still apply?

You ACE transcript lists when each course was completed, which matters.  If you get a 2nd degree (conferred after the 1st), you wouldn't be able to have any courses that you completed prior to the first conferral apply as a "new" credit.

(11-20-2018, 12:39 AM)pws Wrote: TESU/TECEP/AOS/UL
- For the TESU English Area of Study courses, can they be only English or Literature courses—or it's possible to include Communication, Language, Education or another type of  course?
- For courses that contribute to your GPA, do UL courses count more for GPA , and do 2xx-level courses count more for GPA than 1xx courses?

Only English & Lit courses count towards the AOS.  There might be some exceptions that I don't know of, but in general, ENG or LIT.

No, UL counts the same as LL.  The only thing where this may make a difference at some point is if you wanted to go to a MA program - they may want a certain GPA of courses in your major, and would expect a certain number of UL credits in there to make your GPA.  It probably wouldn't be applicable to an English degree though.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 222 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  We Have Moved on From the Basic “Big 3” Colleges and Now Have CBE Big 3 and Others LevelUP 57 7,280 11-14-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Alternatives for basic computer and information literacy dscat 7 834 02-28-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 763 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,321 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Sophia.org Questions midnite123 37 2,756 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Coopersmith - Course questions disney_day_dreamer 2 779 07-12-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: disney_day_dreamer
  5 Questions to Answer When Creating a Positive Online Presence for College Acceptance LevelUP 0 423 03-19-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  HSE questions Celiics 9 1,329 10-31-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Celiics
  Questions about Davar Academy "Business class". qiaoyiren 11 1,811 04-02-2021, 11:23 AM