Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginner Questions.
Can I take clep or dsst tests to get credit when I'm not enrolled in a college? I'm about to enroll in an online school in half a year at most to get my adult high school diploma and want to start earning credits early for preparation in a bachelor's of computer science degree. Can the credits just be stored away and what courses are recommended to make this goal possible? I'll have about 3-4 years of free time to study besides other hobbies, but am unsure of what to study. Recommendations would be helpful, thank you. (Note: I've a wide variety of interests, but am not very fond of history, culture, environmental, and etc...)

Edit: My birthday passed yesterday and I woke up with a panic as I did a serious self reflection. As nineteen you're not 16-17 or a new adult and a certain responsibility should be expected of you. I didn't have a high school diploma as I didn't even attend for private reasons. I studied miscellaneously and was overwhelmed at my uselessness when seeing what others had already accomplished. There's so much more than coding needed for a bachelor in computer science. I didn't have the financial means to afford going to a college traditionally, but came across an article about jay cross's d.i.y degree which led me to this site. I obviously don't trust his d.i.y anymore and glad I didn't sign up. I've no urgent financial pressure and time sort of passed while I was comfortable, but it's not good to go about like that! I wanted to bring my life back on track and the people here were really helpful in answering my questions. It suddenly feels like getting a degree isn't so hard and I'm truly relieved quite a bit. So...this thread is resolved.
[-] The following 1 user Likes T321's post:
  • suzycupcake
Yes you can, later on you can request a cumulative transcript (extra fee will apply).
(06-11-2019, 08:12 AM)lacussucceed Wrote: Yes you can, later on  you can request a cumulative transcript (extra fee will apply).
   Thank you for answering. Do you know if I can send credits to one of the "big three" when I get a degree and hit their max acceptance, but can I still use alternative credits for a different degree with the same college.
I'm not sure what you mean. As far as I know you can use the same credits in different programs. For example the same credits in general electives could apply for two programs / degrees. But be sure to verify such plans with the institution in advance.
Also don't forget to check out modern states.
(06-11-2019, 08:24 AM)lacussucceed Wrote: I'm not sure what you mean. As far as I know you can use the same credits in different programs. For example the same credits in general electives could apply for two programs / degrees. But be sure to verify such plans with the institution in advance.
Also don't forget to check out modern states.
Oh...it seems I severely misunderstood someting. I thought...your credits were used up once you used them for a degree while you had to study new courses to gain new credits towards another degree. Also thank you for the suggestion, I'll definitely check it out!
(06-11-2019, 08:29 AM)T321 Wrote: Oh...it seems I severely misunderstood someting. I thought...your credits were used up once you used them for a degree while you had to study new courses to gain new credits towards another degree. Also thank you for the suggestion, I'll definitely check it out!

No, they aren't used up in that sense. However, if all of your alternative credits were accounted for and used toward your final degree transcript at one school, you won't be able to "double dip" by sending your degree transcript to another school and then sending the new school all of your alternative transcripts separately, hoping they won't realize they've already been counted. They will only count the one occurrence of the class/credit.

I'm not saying that is what you were trying to ask, but many years ago I remember myself thinking I could be clever like that.
BSNS - Excelsior College - 2019

AASIO - Cochise College - 2012

(06-11-2019, 09:50 AM)TheMaskedMutant Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 08:29 AM)T321 Wrote: Oh...it seems I severely misunderstood someting. I thought...your credits were used up once you used them for a degree while you had to study new courses to gain new credits towards another degree. Also thank you for the suggestion, I'll definitely check it out!

No, they aren't used up in that sense.  However, if all of your alternative credits were accounted for and used toward your final degree transcript at one school, you won't be able to "double dip" by sending your degree transcript to another school and then sending the new school all of your alternative transcripts separately, hoping they won't realize they've already been counted.  They will only count the one occurrence of the class/credit.

I'm not saying that is what you were trying to ask, but many years ago I remember myself thinking I could be clever like that.
That's a really neat idea. No, I just have too many activities that I try to fit in my schedule and was forced to actually allocate a set amount of time. I still have to worry about leaving some time for in a week studying/doing: modeling(Purely study.), exercising daily, gymnastics, dancing, painting, calligraphy, self-care, parasitology, microbiology, biology, anatomy (I love.), astrology, high school courses, writing publicly, learning piano/instruments, vocals, A jumbled mix of basic law as I'm not sure which I want to delve further into (I don't really need to spend too much time on it. Just occasionally will do.), basic psychology, coding, language, I cook pretty much everything I eat besides snacks...athough simple, a bit of cross-stitch, yoga, and etc. I know the U.S states, Capitals, and countries a bit...but this is really a sore spot if asked for further in-depth knowledge or I won't remember fully. I'm still trying to remember all the bones in the human body on the side and studying some information about nursing. It's just burdensome...and I don't even know if it's even useful. So I was truly thinking I had to study and complete different courses to get those, what 3 credits for high credit after each test or something? Somehow get to 120 for a bachelor and then complete more courses to accumulate another 120 if I want another bachelor in later years...
T321 Wrote:Can I take clep or dsst tests to get credit when I'm not enrolled in a college? I'm about to enroll in an online school in half a year at most to get my adult high school diploma and want to start earning credits early for preparation in a bachelor's of computer science degree. Can the credits just be stored away and what courses are recommended to make this goal possible? I'll have about 3-4 years of free time to study besides other hobbies, but am unsure of what to study. Recommendations would be helpful, thank you. (Note: I've a wide variety of interests, but am not very fond of history, culture, environmental, and etc...)

That's great you're thinking ahead. Which online school are you going to get your Adult High School Diploma from, are you going for a GED? Which school's Bachelors of Comp Science are you going for? What are your interests besides the Computer Science? Wait, it just read your last post...nvm

My suggestion is to get something more "usable or useful" such as a BSBA (General Management/CIS) as a check the box degree. If you use alternative methods, you can basically use the main ACE/NCCRS providers recommended by members here to get all you need for a BSBA and a BA Comp Sci. The credits are stored until you are ready to graduate X years from now.

T321 Wrote:Somehow get to 120 for a bachelor and then complete more courses to accumulate another 120 if I want another bachelor in later years...

Oh, and in regards to getting that second degree, it usually is just 24 to 30 credits in the second area of study. For my example above, if you do a BSBA General Management and CIS. You just need an extra 24 credits (and a different capstone) to get the Computer Science degree. That's what I am doing...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-11-2019, 11:35 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
T321 Wrote:Can I take clep or dsst tests to get credit when I'm not enrolled in a college? I'm about to enroll in an online school in half a year at most to get my adult high school diploma and want to start earning credits early for preparation in a bachelor's of computer science degree. Can the credits just be stored away and what courses are recommended to make this goal possible? I'll have about 3-4 years of free time to study besides other hobbies, but am unsure of what to study. Recommendations would be helpful, thank you. (Note: I've a wide variety of interests, but am not very fond of history, culture, environmental, and etc...)

That's great you're thinking ahead.  Which online school are you going to get your Adult High School Diploma from, are you going for a GED?  Which school's Bachelors of Comp Science are you going for? What are your interests besides the Computer Science?  Wait, it just read your last post...nvm

My suggestion is to get something more "usable or useful" such as a BSBA (General Management/CIS) as a check the box degree.  If you use alternative methods, you can basically use the main ACE/NCCRS providers recommended by members here to get all you need for a BSBA and a BA Comp Sci.   The credits are stored until you are ready to graduate X years from now.

T321 Wrote:Somehow get to 120 for a bachelor and then complete more courses to accumulate another 120 if I want another bachelor in later years...

Oh, and in regards to getting that second degree, it usually is just 24 to 30 credits in the second area of study.  For my example above, if you do a BSBA General Management and CIS.  You just need an extra 24 credits (and a different capstone) to get the Computer Science degree.  That's what I am doing...
Amazing, after considering those options and I find they're very suitable for me. I wasn't considering the big picture and just wanted to get a bachelor in computer science after getting my adult high school diploma while I only thought of clep or dsst tests to get credit. I'm much more optimistic about getting degrees. I want to get a diploma from excel online high school as I find them reasonably affordable. After reading this and I think I want to get a bsba bachelor before a computer science bachelor degree. I want to do volunteer, intern, or part-time work after I get the bsba bachelor degree. I work very poorly (Well, worse.) with stringent schedules and have to be vague on the days even on my own schedule while sometimes I'll go over the time or grudgingly complete it if I'm not in the mood. But a basic outline is helpful, as I'll otherwise veer off into other things and progress very slowly in what's needed. For example...I currently yearn to put some things aside to learn herbal medicine, more military tactics, a martial art of some sort, chess or a game like it, and etc. I understand achievements and progress rely on yourself while I understand myself very deeply. I've a lot of things I don't want to stop and I find they intertwine to make it easier sometimes to learn the subject at hand while giving a rest. So, maybe 2 years to finish the courses required for the bsba?
(06-11-2019, 07:44 AM)T321 Wrote: Can I take clep or dsst tests to get credit when I'm not enrolled in a college? I'm about to enroll in an online school in half a year at most to get my adult high school diploma and want to start earning credits early for preparation in a bachelor's of computer science degree. Can the credits just be stored away and what courses are recommended to make this goal possible? I'll have about 3-4 years of free time to study besides other hobbies, but am unsure of what to study. Recommendations would be helpful, thank you. (Note: I've a wide variety of interests, but am not very fond of history, culture, environmental, and etc...)

Edit 2: I'll make another thread when I succeed in the tesu bsba/cis bachelor program for further planning within two years. Cheers!

Edit: My birthday passed yesterday and I woke up with a panic as I did a serious self reflection. As nineteen you're not 16-17 or a new adult and a certain responsibility should be expected of you. I didn't have a high school diploma as I didn't even attend for private reasons. I studied miscellaneously and was overwhelmed at my uselessness when seeing what others had already accomplished. There's so much more than coding needed for a bachelor in computer science. I didn't have the financial means to afford going to a college traditionally, but came across an article about jay cross's d.i.y degree which led me to this site. I obviously don't trust his d.i.y anymore and glad I didn't sign up. I've no urgent financial pressure and time sort of passed while I was comfortable, but it's not good to go about like that! I wanted to bring my life back on track and the people here were really helpful in answering my questions. It suddenly feels like getting a degree isn't so hard and I'm truly relieved quite a bit. So...this thread is resolved.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 227 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 763 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,324 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Sophia.org Questions midnite123 37 2,759 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Coopersmith - Course questions disney_day_dreamer 2 779 07-12-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: disney_day_dreamer
  5 Questions to Answer When Creating a Positive Online Presence for College Acceptance LevelUP 0 423 03-19-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  HSE questions Celiics 9 1,332 10-31-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Celiics
  Questions about Davar Academy "Business class". qiaoyiren 11 1,814 04-02-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Questions about TEEX’s Death Investigation course Michelle779 3 1,708 06-23-2020, 10:49 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  New to the forum, couple questions. ARhead 29 4,474 03-12-2020, 08:07 PM
Last Post: ARhead