Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best for Federal Biology jobs?
As of right now... Which of the Big 3 would be best for getting a Biology degree to get a federal job? Like Parks and Forestry or CDC types of Biologist jobs. I was thinking maybe Excelsior might be best recognized by a background check team, but COSC would be easiest to complete on our end (plus I've done the most research on COSC for our daughter and myself).

Also, any input which college is most flexible/inexpensive with earning upper level credits? His first 81 credits are from traditional schools (B&M or University of Phoenix). My partner has decided he needs to get started on a generic Natural Sciences or Biology degree.
Does he already have UL Biology credits? How many and which ones?

What about lab credits? Does he have Chem II with Lab, Bio II with Lab, Physics Labs, Org Chem Labs?

Natural Sciences would be quicker to complete, but I think it would be harder to compete after graduating.

I'm going to list some degrees at schools that will take 90cr of transfer including ACE, no idea if these will work for him, they aren't biology, but they're something to look at if he wants Parks/Forestry especially.

SNHU - Environmental Science, Geo Sciences
UMUC - Environmental Management
Wilmington University - Environmental Science & Policy

Otherwise, I would look at on-campus programs at your local college to see about your UL courses.

You might also search this forum for things from Santantone, she has an interest in this and has lots written about it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The Feds only care that it's accredited.  The Big 3 will all be the same to them.  They are check-the-box degrees, not Ivy degrees.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(08-02-2019, 08:20 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: The Feds only care that it's accredited.  The Big 3 will all be the same to them.  They are check-the-box degrees, not Ivy degrees.

That’s what I needed to know. But will that box be checked off for a COSC Bachelors of Science with concentration in Biology? There are some good veterans preference jobs out there that require that on USAjobs. I tried talking to COSC career placement services and got a run-around answer of “I always tell people to ask where you’re applying”... sigh that means a big fat “I don’t know and don’t care”.

(08-02-2019, 02:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm going to list some degrees at schools that will take 90cr of transfer including ACE, no idea if these will work for him, they aren't biology, but they're something to look at if he wants Parks/Forestry especially.

SNHU - Environmental Science, Geo Sciences
UMUC - Environmental Management
Wilmington University - Environmental Science & Policy

Otherwise, I would look at on-campus programs at your local college to see about your UL courses.

You might also search this forum for things from Santantone, she has an interest in this and has lots written about it.

Thanks! Yes, I have a list from her that I’ve used to help fill a degree plan I started on for a COSC BS with concentration in Biology. I know the most about COSC since I’ve been researching it for myself and my daughter. As long as the COSC degree will work for him, he’s willing to take his time with online classes through assorted colleges or alternative credits (but he’s old-school thinking and likes the idea of RA credits through colleges too, and not in a super hurry).
[-] The following 1 user Likes bethanyneedsajob's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(08-03-2019, 04:40 PM)bethanyneedsajob Wrote:
(08-02-2019, 08:20 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: The Feds only care that it's accredited.  The Big 3 will all be the same to them.  They are check-the-box degrees, not Ivy degrees.

That’s what I needed to know. But will that box be checked off for a COSC Bachelors of Science with concentration in Biology? There are some good veterans preference jobs out there that require that on USAjobs. I tried talking to COSC career placement services and got a run-around answer of “I always tell people to ask where you’re applying”... sigh that means a big fat “I don’t know and don’t care”.

My Fed office all know I have a degree, but none know from where.  None of us care!  Only the HR folks who first screen you out will know.  They will check the national website to see that YOUR Big 3 college is Regionally accredited and good to go.  When I was young the Feds would not accept National accreditation, but that has loosed up.  DOD may still not.  The good news is all of the Big 3 have been Regionally accredited (gold standard) since 1971.

Phase II is to sell yourself in the interview. Big Grin

Some accounting Fed jobs require not just a degree, but a certain number of accounting credits.  I think some have BS business degrees and go to the local CC to take additional accounting credits.  Best to research it.

Are you a Veteran with 10-points?  That does help in many Fed jobs.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Not sure how the points work? He put in 5 years usmc. Would that be 5 points?
(08-03-2019, 04:58 PM)bethanyneedsajob Wrote: Not sure how the points work? He put in 5 years usmc. Would that be 5 points?

If they have no VA disability rating they might only get 5-Points, but that is still useful.  

10-Points = Disabled Vets (10%+ ratings)
https://www.opm.gov/faqs/QA.aspx?fid=a9a...9b42961795

5-Points
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversigh...ices-faqs/

(08-03-2019, 05:05 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 04:58 PM)bethanyneedsajob Wrote: Not sure how the points work? He put in 5 years usmc. Would that be 5 points?

If they have no VA disability rating they might only get 5-Points, but that is still useful.  

10-Points = Disabled Vets (10%+ ratings)
https://www.opm.gov/faqs/QA.aspx?fid=a9a...9b42961795

5-Points
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversigh...ices-faqs/

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for internships / jobs while doing Sophia courses Schlafen 2 869 03-31-2023, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Citing Concern for Free Speech, 12 Federal Judges Won’t Take Clerks from Yale Law LevelUP 7 1,252 10-12-2022, 09:56 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Teachers working multiple jobs? bjcheung77 18 1,432 09-23-2022, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  College Grads Are Snaring High-Paying Jobs. How the Labor Shortage Helps Them. LevelUP 7 928 09-01-2022, 07:39 AM
Last Post: dgbrooks
  Defense Acquisition University or free UL & LL ACE for federal & contractor tpowell 6 1,484 09-13-2021, 01:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Looking for an RA Online Biology II w Lab Fountains of Roses 10 1,640 02-06-2021, 11:42 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Cheap and Fast Online Biology Degrees mgmar22 2 1,681 01-09-2021, 07:53 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  Is the Straighterline Biology Lab Kit Reusalble or Consumable? JaronB34 1 1,287 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Lydclrk
  No more Federal Aid for competency-based education programs. Life Long Learning 2 1,281 12-29-2019, 01:18 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Biology/Natural Sciences major—transferring into the Big 3 wow 10 2,012 09-08-2019, 12:45 PM
Last Post: wow