Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Best place/easiest for English Comp I?
I know this must've been asked 900 times but my searches are coming up with nothing.

Friend needs Eng Comp I for AAS BOG  - trying to find the best place for him to do it - he's been out of school for 30 years so looking for something that will go easy on him Smile

TIA
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
I would probably go with Olivet. $150 flat fee, not due until the course is almost finished, so you don't have to worry about spending too much time and racking up subscription fees. If he already has prior college/university credit, another option would be to study for the CLEP exam (free through ModernStates).

Or, here's the best part, if he's ONLY getting the BOG AAS, he doesn't even need English Comp! He can do Communication at Work and/or Visual Communication to get the 6 English/Communication credits Pierpont expects. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pi...unications If he's even halfway considering continuing on to UMPI, this is probably the best option.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle, suzycupcake
Thanks so much! I did speak to Nancy today and she mentioned it must be English comp and specifically said not Visual Comm however I will ask her about the Comm at Work one though! That would be awesome if we could get that and fulfill that req.

I’ve never heard of Olivet so I’m going to check that out now - thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
Started June 2022

Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
I also recommend ONU, since every school requires English Comp I - plus it's a requirement to take a lot of other college courses. It's a way to get RA credit, and a required college course, for a great price. Plus I've heard great things about the course, and the school in general for these courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts, suzycupcake
Does the student want to take courses at Sophia.org to transfer them into the Pierpont BOG AAS? If so, they can take everything they need from Sophia.org already. Does the student also want to ladder this up to a Bachelors later on? Has a plan been created for them, is it going to be UMPI or another university? I assume you're going step by step from AAS to Bachelors right? This template is what I suggest you follow: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • suzycupcake
I’m usually a fan of coopersmith but I will say for English composition and business writing I was disappointed. I wish I had chosen a different option. I'm glad I passed but I wasn't thrilled.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cmglaser08's post:
  • suzycupcake
(06-20-2022, 03:03 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Does the student want to take courses at Sophia.org to transfer them into the Pierpont BOG AAS? If so, they can take everything they need from Sophia.org already.  Does the student also want to ladder this up to a Bachelors later on? Has a plan been created for them, is it going to be UMPI or another university?  I assume you're going step by step from AAS to Bachelors right?  This template is what I suggest you follow: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

He just needs the BOG AAS to Coach in public schools. Otherwise, he would have to volunteer for free. Don't see him going past the AAS to be honest. Currently using SDC and had his credentials evaluated at Pierpont so we are making headway. In his first month with SDC he has already done 4 classes and will complete the 5 allowed by July 5th then I think we will switch over to Sophia to see how he likes those.

I remember doing the SDC Eng Comp and well, I hate writing and can't imagine him ever doing all that.

I see there is a CLEP modular and it looks like no essays??? 

Thanks for the link to the template!

(06-20-2022, 02:07 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I would probably go with Olivet. $150 flat fee, not due until the course is almost finished, so you don't have to worry about spending too much time and racking up subscription fees. If he already has prior college/university credit, another option would be to study for the CLEP exam (free through ModernStates).

Or, here's the best part, if he's ONLY getting the BOG AAS, he doesn't even need English Comp! He can do Communication at Work and/or Visual Communication to get the 6 English/Communication credits Pierpont expects. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pi...unications If he's even halfway considering continuing on to UMPI, this is probably the best option.

(06-20-2022, 02:47 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I also recommend ONU, since every school requires English Comp I - plus it's a requirement to take a lot of other college courses. It's a way to get RA credit, and a required college course, for a great price. Plus I've heard great things about the course, and the school in general for these courses.

Just to be clear - are you guys talking about Eng 109 in this link: https://catalog.olivet.edu/content.php?f...rse_filter
Started June 2022

https://online.olivet.edu/programs/yourway

But if you're just looking to get the cheapest and easiest way to get college credit for English Comp I, then the CLEP Modular is the way to go. All multiple choice, and if you use ModernStates for prep, then you get a voucher for a free exam plus reimbursement for the testing fees.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • suzycupcake
Every school doesn't accept the English CLEP exam. So if he is even considering ever going for a bachelor's degree this is something to really think about.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az, suzycupcake
@suzycupcake, CLEP modular doesn't have an essay section. But since the exam is pretty much the same as the CLEP with essay, I would just take the one exam for 6 credits vs the CLEP modular. It doesn't take too much work, just go through the ModernStates.org course and get a voucher, voila! Otherwise, I would just go through the courses on Sophia.org and take the course there.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • suzycupcake

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 992 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences ashkir 67 10,676 02-09-2024, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Sophia English Composition II Experience lifted567 14 1,865 01-04-2024, 05:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English Comp 2 dbrown2258 7 816 09-10-2023, 01:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  does sophia english touch stone allow to use chatgpt or grammerly? sekiflying 10 2,545 08-13-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: sekiflying
Heart Is it possible to finish English composition II in one month on study.com? imkingta 16 1,892 07-22-2023, 11:11 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Want to drop out of Sophia English Composition I Avidreader 17 1,746 07-07-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  English comp 2 Sophia/study.com/olivia/tel? SweetsugarNL 12 3,806 07-03-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Trying to speedrun some SDC classes: Eng 2, Comp. Arch, Soft. Eng, Python 101 Randyb100 16 1,861 06-25-2023, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Sophia English Comp 1 Touchstone Issue arrakis 29 7,265 06-21-2023, 05:05 PM
Last Post: LevelUP