Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best place for Management Core classes?
Hi, I am not a huge fan of Straighterline's courses. I am looking for alternatives to SL for taking the following:

Financial Accounting
Managerial Accounting
Business Law
Principles of Management
Introduction to Marketing

Has anyone taken any of these on a site that they felt the course was easy to follow and made sense?

(06-25-2018, 11:56 AM)Mab81 Wrote: Hi, I am not a huge fan of Straighterline's courses. I am looking for alternatives to SL for taking the following:

Financial Accounting
Managerial Accounting
Business Law
Principles of Management

Has anyone taken any of these on a site that they felt the course was easy to follow and made sense?

If you're looking for credits, all the courses you listed, except Managerial Accounting, are available through CLEP. Use Modern States to get a voucher to take the exam for free. Management and Marketing are among the tests with the highest pass rates in the entire CLEP catalog. Financial Accounting is fairly low, and Business Law is a bit below that. They're all doable with a bit of self-studying. If you're a business student, or you test well, you can probably test out of Management and Marketing without studying at all.
(06-25-2018, 11:56 AM)Mab81 Wrote: Hi, I am not a huge fan of Straighterline's courses. I am looking for alternatives to SL for taking the following:

Financial Accounting
Managerial Accounting
Business Law
Principles of Management

I have taken all of these courses. I took accounting 1 and 2 through straighterline, which I hated with a passion.

I took Business law, Principles of management, and principles of marketing all through CLEP tests. They were not awful. I do believe however that your best bet would be to go and take all of these courses through Study.com. It will be the same cost as CLEPS, and will most likely be easier as well as faster.

That's my 2 cents at least...
Study.com is a good option, although some are available through Saylor as well. I've heard their Marketing course isn't terrible. Management is supposed to be though. Also, if you feel like you can test out, Saylor is a good option at $25 each and no testing center to deal with (or drive to).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-25-2018, 12:27 PM)d.cononge Wrote:

Financial Accounting
Managerial Accounting
Business Law
Principles of Management

I have taken all of these courses. I took accounting 1 and 2 through straighterline, which I hated with a passion.

I took Business law, Principles of management, and principles of marketing all through CLEP tests. They were not awful. I do believe however that your best bet would be to go and take all of these courses through Study.com. It will be the same cost as CLEPS, and will most likely be easier as well as faster.

Thank you, in your experience, was there a lot of math calculations to do in the SL accounting quizzes and tests?

(06-26-2018, 12:49 PM)Mab81 Wrote:

Financial Accounting
Managerial Accounting
Business Law
Principles of Management

Thank you, in your experience, was there a lot of math calculations to do in the SL accounting quizzes and tests?
YES... Way too many. Now, accounting is not my strong point at all, but I am guessing that SDC will be easier than SL.

Financial Accounting
Managerial Accounting
Business Law
Principles of Management

Modern States allows you to take the CLEP exams for free if you go through their program. I don't see any benefit to paying for SL courses for these subjects.
(06-27-2018, 10:15 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote:

Financial Accounting
Managerial Accounting
Business Law
Principles of Management

Modern States allows you to take the CLEP exams for free if you go through their program. I don't see any benefit to paying for SL courses for these subjects.

I would say that I wouldn't have been able to pass some of these CLEP exams.  Certainly not the first 3 (I did CLEP the last 2).  I don't love testing, and certainly not on a subject that is more difficult for me.  So a course was my only option for those 3.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I agree drefcore. I do not enjoy cramming for tests. For these particular subjects (especially accounting) I want to make sure I actually learn the material well and have a good chance to pass if i put in some steady and consistent work. I have decided to go ahead and do Straighterline for the computer option (introduction to IT, i believe), the Principles of Management and the Business Law. Then the Accounting classes, where I need more reliable structure, I will do Study.com.

(06-28-2018, 11:23 AM)Mab81 Wrote: I agree drefcore. I do not enjoy cramming for tests. For these particular subjects (especially accounting) I want to make sure I actually learn the material well and have a good chance to pass if i put in some steady and consistent work. I have decided to go ahead and do Straighterline for the computer option (introduction to IT, i believe), the Principles of Management and the Business Law. Then the Accounting classes, where I need more reliable structure, I will do Study.com.

I would say that SL is as good if not better than Study.com for accounting.  SL is probably a bit more rigorous.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 307 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Credly Badge Denied, TEEX Disaster Management for Water & Wastewater Utilities sixdegreesandamovie 3 254 03-07-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Davar Academy experience - MAN-330 International Management TopHatWombat 6 1,296 12-30-2023, 01:22 AM
Last Post: mariobros1985
  Do classes from Study.com & Sophia.org appear on Studentclearinghouse.org if... UMPI CanICode 9 1,047 10-17-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia Project Management MrBossmanJr 19 3,325 09-15-2023, 06:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com and SL History Classes Duneranger 8 680 09-10-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What order to take classes in using Sophia ltw900rr 12 1,787 09-09-2023, 08:29 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Taking 23 classes at Sophia in one month, is that possible? elcastor21 13 2,021 08-31-2023, 10:48 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Trying to speedrun some SDC classes: Eng 2, Comp. Arch, Soft. Eng, Python 101 Randyb100 16 1,785 06-25-2023, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Randyb100
  5 Study.com Classes EXPIRING 4/30 smarterby1degree 13 2,171 05-19-2023, 02:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy