Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bexar County Sheriff's Office's Archaic Policy on "Internet Degrees"
What is an "internet degree?" Who uses that term? I knew about this educational incentive pay policy several years ago, but I thought they'd eventually catch up to the rest of the world. Are they saying that they will not recognize an online degree from Texas A&M, one of the best universities in the state, but they will recognize a Devry University degree earned in a strip mall? Are they saying that an Excelsior degree won't be accepted, but they'll accept a University of Phoenix degree because they rented space in an office tower? 

Quote:Qualifying degrees must be from a college or university accredited by one (1) of the six (6) nationally recognized regional accreditation boards. Internet degrees, degrees from institutions without physical campuses, degrees from diploma mills, or similar institutions shall not qualify.

https://www.cleat.org/wp-content/uploads...ntract.pdf
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Old school. Wow. Hopefully, they'll get with the times. They must not realize what a disservice they're doing themselves.
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
(06-24-2019, 01:13 PM)MSK9 Wrote: Old school. Wow. Hopefully, they'll get with the times. They must not realize what a disservice they're doing themselves.

The funny thing is that they won't be able to tell if someone earned an "internet degree" unless they know the school is 100% virtual. No one has ever guessed that I attended Angelo State University online. I'm from Texas, and it's a Texas school, so everyone assumes I attended on campus. It's kind of awkward when I have to tell them that I don't know anything about San Angelo.  Big Grin
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • MSK9, SweetSecret
(06-24-2019, 01:09 PM)sanantone Wrote: What is an "internet degree?" Who uses that term? I knew about this educational incentive pay policy several years ago, but I thought they'd eventually catch up to the rest of the world. Are they saying that they will not recognize an online degree from Texas A&M, one of the best universities in the state, but they will recognize a Devry University degree earned in a strip mall? Are they saying that an Excelsior degree won't be accepted, but they'll accept a University of Phoenix degree because they rented space in an office tower? 

Quote:Qualifying degrees must be from a college or university accredited by one (1) of the six (6) nationally recognized regional accreditation boards. Internet degrees, degrees from institutions without physical campuses, degrees from diploma mills, or similar institutions shall not qualify.

So it seems as if they use having a physical campus as the filter?
The interesting part for me is that it was agreed to as part of a collective bargaining agreement. Still funny how they phrased it Smile
(06-24-2019, 01:31 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 01:09 PM)sanantone Wrote: What is an "internet degree?" Who uses that term? I knew about this educational incentive pay policy several years ago, but I thought they'd eventually catch up to the rest of the world. Are they saying that they will not recognize an online degree from Texas A&M, one of the best universities in the state, but they will recognize a Devry University degree earned in a strip mall? Are they saying that an Excelsior degree won't be accepted, but they'll accept a University of Phoenix degree because they rented space in an office tower? 

So it seems as if they use having a physical campus as the filter?

The way I'm understanding it is that they won't accept Internet degrees (online degree from any school) or a degree from a school without a physical campus (this would have disqualified correspondence, television/videotape, and satellite programs at schools without physical campuses when they existed).

(06-24-2019, 01:33 PM)Sapientes Wrote: The interesting part for me is that it was agreed to as part of a collective bargaining agreement. Still funny how they phrased it Smile

This means that the members of the union voted on this. BCSO is not a highly-educated department, so you have people with GEDs and high school diplomas making these decisions. Their deputies are always in the news for being arrested and accidentally releasing inmates, so that kind of tells you what kind of department it is. Most college students these days are aware of online classes and how they work since most current college students have taken at least one online class.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(06-24-2019, 01:31 PM)cookderosa Wrote: So it seems as if they use having a physical campus as the filter?

That's the way I'm reading it. It kind of sounds like the list after "Internet Degree" is almost defining what they mean by it. The part I find interesting the the phrase "accredited by one (1) of the six (6) nationally recognized regional accreditation boards." It sounds like NA schools are completely out, but by putting the word "nationally" in there it makes it hard to interpret. It DOES seem ridiculously rigid.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(06-24-2019, 04:38 PM)davewill Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 01:31 PM)cookderosa Wrote: So it seems as if they use having a physical campus as the filter?

That's the way I'm reading it. It kind of sounds like the list after "Internet Degree" is almost defining what they mean by it. The part I find interesting the the phrase "accredited by one (1) of the six (6) nationally recognized regional accreditation boards." It sounds like NA schools are completely out, but by putting the word "nationally" in there it makes it hard to interpret. It DOES seem ridiculously rigid.

They strictly mean regionally accredited. Regional accreditors are nationally recognized; they're more recognized than national accreditors. There were some now defunct state accrediting bodies that were classified as regional accreditors. In Texas, it's not uncommon for police departments to not recognize national accreditation because the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement will not award continuing education credits or substitute work experience for education if the college credits come from a nationally accredited school. 

Quote:Applicants must have a minimum of 60 college earned hours from a regional accredited college or university.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/trainingAcadem...cation.htm

Quote:Must have a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution of post-secondary education as certified through a commission on higher education of a regional educational agency for colleges and universities recognized by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement

https://www.arlingtontx.gov/city_hall/de...qualifiers

Quote:211.1(3) An institution of higher education that is accredited or authorized by; Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS-CC); Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA); North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA); Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU); Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC); New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc. (NEASC-CIHE).

https://www.tcole.texas.gov/sites/defaul...2.6.16.pdf
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Hahaha, that was fun. They're a few years behind. Since their document is from 2016, I would guess they are at least coming of age in the next year or so... maybe, maybe later...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-24-2019, 05:24 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hahaha, that was fun.  They're a few years behind.  Since their document is from 2016, I would guess they are at least coming of age in the next year or so...  maybe, maybe later...

The contract is from December 2016 to September 2020.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,568 Yesterday, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 601 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,616 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 404 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 245 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How others think of college degrees... bjcheung77 5 545 12-31-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 915 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 559 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  University of Phoenix to offer Competency Based Degrees elcastor21 11 1,222 10-04-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Guy Has Either 33 or 108 Doctorate Degrees (Allegedly) RbxFunRocks 61 6,613 09-01-2023, 08:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77