Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capella Flex Path?
What is this Capella online university flex path, or other things like it? 

I am looking for a way to dive into a subject when I am motivated  (or well enough to). I want the freedom to jump from topic to topic based on what I am wanting to learn at that time. Either specific parts of personality physiology for a few weeks, to then general biology for a few hours, but at the same time, earning recognition for what I learned. I want the choice in learning with material from those classes or even by online research. Then testing out of that subject or proving I'm educated in what the class is required. I am not your average student. Learning when inspired, I can recall what I past learned for a lifetime. I want to take advantage of this "gift" by learning when the time calls for it.

Thanks!
Most of the online colleges are a bit expensive for that sort of thing. Our approach to the competency programs like you are describing, is to get in and out quickly so that the per term charges don't pile up. If you need college credit, you can use the usual alternative credit providers discussed here like Study.com and Straighterline to do this kind of eclectic study, you even have the choice of paying low and NOT getting credit, then paying higher and passing the exam, when or if you do need credit.

If you just want "recognition" so that you can acknowledge the courses on your resume, but don't really need college credit, you might be happier with the MOOCs like Udacity and Coursera. You can list individual courses completed or earn a certificate or "Nanodegree".

You might really like EdX and the Micromasters program. Many of their courses can be taken for free, and you only need to pay if you want a verified certificate of completion. You can chain courses together to complete a "Micromasters", and in some cases, you can get credit for those courses to earn an reduced cost Master's degree with a partner school.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Sapientes
I would say that anything where you can take a majority (at least 75%) of your courses through alternative providers like we discuss here is your best bet. Not sure about Capella. But what you're describing is what the Big 3 and WGU specialize in (at least how we use them on this forum).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The Big 3 are different.

Capella online university flex path is like WGU.  Both require at least 30 SH from them.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(01-08-2019, 07:33 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: The Big 3 are different.

Capella online university flex path is like WGU.  Both require at least 30 SH from them.

The Big 3 are different from competency-based programs like WGU & Capella - but I was referring to the OP's wanting to get a bunch of credits inexpensively based on testing and/or alternative course providers - proving what she knows - and then taking those credits to a degree plan to finish up.  Any of the schools we discuss here will take credits from CLEP/DSST or other course providers, and apply them to a degree, and let you "test out" of quite a lot (or even most) of a degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I also think the program you choose affects how many credits they take. I went to Capella for a bit, they took 100 credits of the 120 i needed for my degree

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 1 user Likes ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • Life Long Learning