Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Board of Governors A.A.S.
Illinois used to have a BOG program too... I don't know if they still do. It was all online at the time. Residency could be done through online classes.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Well after emailing WVU Parkersburg asking if they accepted NCCRS credits and providing About Us : NCCRS so they can see what they are, I was sent this reply.
"What have you tested for, or completed for, NCCRS college equivalent credit?
My supervisor says WVUP accepts certain ones."
to which i replied:
"As of this time I have not completed any except
BUS210: CORPORATE
COMMUNICATION via National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS) | Saylor Academy .
Is there a list available of which ones are accepted?"
So now I wait, hopefully I am provided a list and can post it up here.
GoodYellowDogs Wrote:Illinois used to have a BOG program too... I don't know if they still do. It was all online at the time. Residency could be done through online classes.

GoodYellow

I did a quick search just now and turned nothing up. There is a BA program through Governors State University with a 24 credit residency but no associates as far as I can find.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
Is this degree for military advancement or did you have some other purpose in mind? Since you are in the military, you may consider planning for a Bachelor's degree and just working through all of the free CLEP and DSST exams you need.

I try to encourage most people starting on this journey to have an end goal in mind when they start. This may change, but by having a general idea of the purpose of your degree you can plan accordingly. There are schools like TESC that are very generous in awarding credit for military experience if you worried about losing those credits.

Let me share a situation that could have been averted with a bit of planning. My son completed an AAS in graphic design before deciding he wanted to continue his studies and complete a Bachelor's degree. He has now realized that 2/3 of his credits won't transfer to the Bachelor's program. Had he decided ahead of time, he could have completed an Associate of Science program that is intended to transfer to university and would have avoided the additional work.
The WVUP Board of Governors AAS program nicely segues into their Regents Bachelor of Arts program. On behalf of a family member, I have spoken to the people at WVUP and Eastern West Virginia Community and Technical College (which is the cheapest version of the AAS I've been able to find) and they have both been extremely helpful. You only need to send unofficial transcripts to start. Some other highlights:

- They take D grades for English Composition and Math
- You only need English Composition I and can use Speech, Business Communication, Technical Communication, etc., for your other 3 communications hours
- Their core classes are extremely manageable: six hours each of Communications (English/Speech/etc.), 6 total of Math/Science, and 6 total of Social Science/ Humanities, along with 3 hours of Computer Literacy. The other 39 hours can be from almost anything else (not developmental level classes).
-You only need to take 3 hours in residence, which can be fulfilled with an online class.
- Tuition and fees from EWVCTC run right about $900 inclusive for the 3-hour class, which can be completed in an 8-week term online. WVUP was higher at ~$1450. Both schools have been very helpful, though, have I mentioned?
Board of Governors Adult Degree Completion Program - Eastern WV Community & Technical College
Board of Governors Associate of Applied Science | WVU Parkersburg

The Regents Bachelor of Arts degree is the next step in this program. You need 24 hours of on-campus or online courses from any institution in the West Virginia State System of Higher Education, and 39 hours of upper-level classes. The RBA core requirements include 6 hours each of Communications, Humanities, Social Science, and Natural Science; 3 hours of Math; and 9 hours of general ed electives. They offer Areas of Emphasis rather than traditional majors. The AOE in Management seems particularly friendly.
Regents Bachelor of Arts | WVU Parkersburg
RBA Areas of Emphasis | WVU Parkersburg
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Well a few days ago I received and email from WVU, apparently they only accept Welding credit through the NCCRS.
This unfortunate bump will not stop me, so now it's time to study.

UptonSinclair,
Yes this is primarily going to be used for military advancement, with a possibility of going for a bachelors in the future.
my coworker is doing a regents bachelors through west liberty. It isnt a bad program. WV is awesome for education.
A.A.S. IN RESPIRATORY CARE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2007
A.A. IN SOCIAL SCIENCE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2015
B.S.A.S.T IN RESPIRATORY CARE (TESU) 2015
GoodYellowDogs Wrote:Illinois used to have a BOG program too... I don't know if they still do. It was all online at the time. Residency could be done through online classes.

Yes for sure- there are several. At least one through Western Illinois University, bachelors only though.
Do they take DSST science classes?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Life Long Learning Wrote:Do they take DSST science classes?

You have to call the school and ask; however, my coworker got a few cleps accepted
A.A.S. IN RESPIRATORY CARE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2007
A.A. IN SOCIAL SCIENCE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2015
B.S.A.S.T IN RESPIRATORY CARE (TESU) 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Homeschool forums/message board? Goldilocks! 1 659 06-21-2022, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Can We Please Have an Inspirational/I’m Done Board? Tedium 2 634 03-15-2022, 07:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 978 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  From College Board: How Many Q#s You Need To Get Right For Your Desired CLEP Score!! zapproximator 27 21,493 06-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Last Post: zapproximator
  Requesting info on Western Governors University IT corycarbonb 15 2,433 10-19-2016, 01:20 PM
Last Post: corycarbonb
  Completed WVUP Board of Governors AAS Degree! boalex207 45 5,745 08-16-2016, 10:27 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  College Board site is down ricky2k2 4 1,414 01-22-2016, 10:42 PM
Last Post: redriver
  anybody ever done Penn Foster to Western Governors University bluebooger 0 2,618 12-28-2015, 12:15 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Penn Foster Discussion Board Question AngelaP 2 5,090 08-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Last Post: AngelaP
  abbreviations used on this board cookderosa 23 4,207 01-31-2015, 02:27 AM
Last Post: Westerner