Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boost GPA & Transcript Question
30 years ago I took Intro to Psych and got a C.  To raise my GPA and repeat the course, do I have to take the course from a CC, for example, where I receive a letter grade?  Or, can I take an ACE provider or CLEP?  In that instance, do they remove the "C" and replace it with "Credit"?

What does the TESU transcript show for ACE courses?  Does it show "CR" or a letter grade for the course percentage?

PS: I'm still enrolled at CC, but ready to enroll at TESU.

Thanks so much!
You have a passing grade in the course, and a C is even good enough to be place in the AOS (if you needed it to).  I would not waste time or money on retaking it. If you want to raise your GPA you can just as easily take a course in something else through the CC that you know you can get an A in, you will take your C combined with an A (in the other subject) and there you have now earned 3 more credits and your GPA is now a B (excluding any other courses you may have credit in).

Also to actually replace the C, you would have to take the exact course through the same school - as they would replace the C in the course (wipe out the C and put in the new higher grade, not all schools offer this as an option)

And TESU only shows they gave you credit "CR", courses transferred are not calculated into your TESU GPA - only your overall (which would count when you apply for a Graduate program)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • cookderosa
(04-24-2018, 08:18 AM)allvia Wrote: You have a passing grade in the course, and a C is even good enough to be place in the AOS (if you needed it to).  I would not waste time or money on retaking it. If you want to raise your GPA you can just as easily take a course in something else through the CC that you know you can get an A in, you will take your C combined with an A (in the other subject) and there you have now earned 3 more credits and your GPA is now a B (excluding any other courses you may have credit in).

Also to actually replace the C, you would have to take the exact course through the same school - as they would replace the C in the course (wipe out the C and put in the new higher grade, not all schools offer this as an option)

And TESU only shows they gave you credit "CR", courses transferred are not calculated into your TESU GPA - only your overall (which would count when you apply for a Graduate program)

This is all correct.
To run the math, use a free online GPA calculator. Your 3 credit Intro Psych course is only part of the whole 120 credits. So, graded credits make up your GPA while cr (pass/fail) courses will not. As such, say you have only 1 graded credit: your psych class that earned a C worth a GPA of 2.0. That is your entire GPA. Now, say you took a second class and earned an A (4.0 quality points). Your new GPA is 3.0
OTOH, say you kept your psych class but finished your entire degree with ACE/CLEP credit- in that case, you're stuck at 2.0.
What is your GPA now and what do you want it to be? Also, do you know how many graded vs credit courses you have?
TESU won't calculate that C in your GPA, because it's a transfer credit. If you're doing what most students here do, and only taking the Capstone at TESU, then your GPA will be based on only the Capstone grade.

However, some places (grad schools and others) will realize that your GPA is only based upon 3 credits and they will look at your last 30 or 60 graded credits, from any schools, to calculate a GPA. If you care about getting a high GPA, having one C can pull down the average even with a bunch of A's.

(04-24-2018, 10:06 AM)Ideas Wrote:
If you care about getting a high GPA, having one C can pull down the average even with a bunch of A's.

One grade will not do much to your GPA if you already have a lot of courses - this is good news and bad news.  Example: if your GPA for 60cr is 3.7, then getting a C will lower that to 3.62.  Not a ton, it's still an A- GPA.  That class won't kill you.

But, if you have a low GPA like 2.5, you would have to get a LOT of A's to raise it to a 3.0 (like 30 additional credits of A's).

So, it's harder to raise or lower your GPA with a single class than it seems.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
At my CC, my GPA is 4.0.  The psych class from long ago comes in as a transfer credit.  However, when I forward transcripts I have one GPA at 4.0, and the other with this lonely "C".

So I thought if I retook the class from my current CC, I could replace the transfer credit with a letter grade.  This would void the first class essentially, keeping my overall GPA at a 4.0.
(04-24-2018, 01:21 PM)tripletmom Wrote: At my CC, my GPA is 4.0.  The psych class from long ago comes in as a transfer credit.  However, when I forward transcripts I have one GPA at 4.0, and the other with this lonely "C".

So I thought if I retook the class from my current CC, I could replace the transfer credit with a letter grade.  This would void the first class essentially, keeping my overall GPA at a 4.0.

It won't work that way - you will still have the C.  You may have two courses that are both Intro to Psych (duplicate) - one with a C and one with an A, but it doesn't replace or remove the first C from counting in your overall GPA.  As I stated earlier TESU will give you complete credit for the C, it doesn't affect your TESU GPA at all.  It is far wiser to earn new credits towards finishing the degree you want than trying to erase a C from your past.   

Accept that you once weren't the great student you are now and persevere.  There are many of us here in this forum that have more than a few C's (& D's - even some F's) from 'back in the days' of our youth.  In some cases we thought those less than perfect grades of our past would haunt us forever and what was the point of even trying to get a degree, it was never going to happen....and then we landed here and we learned our futures are bright! &  we worked and got it done.  In the end that is what matters, don't put so much pressure on yourself - you do not need a perfect GPA. You do need (want) a College Degree.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 3 users Like allvia's post:
  • cookderosa, Muldoon, sarg123
2 quotes I heard over the years may help:

" C's make degrees"

"What do you call a doctor who graduated with a 4.0? A doctor. What do you call a doctor who graduated with a 2.5? A doctor."
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • sarg123
(04-24-2018, 01:21 PM)tripletmom Wrote: At my CC, my GPA is 4.0.  The psych class from long ago comes in as a transfer credit.  However, when I forward transcripts I have one GPA at 4.0, and the other with this lonely "C".

A grad school will insist on receiving all transcripts anyway, and will then proceed to calculate your GPA according to their own rules. They will not think anything of the "lonely C", especially if everything else is an "A". Just let it go. A lot of us have much worse on our transcripts than a "C" from a long time ago.

The way I always heard the old joke was:

Q: What do you call the guy who graduates last in his class at medical school?
A: Doctor.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • sarg123
(04-24-2018, 01:21 PM)tripletmom Wrote: So I thought if I retook the class from my current CC, I could replace the transfer credit with a letter grade.  This would void the first class essentially, keeping my overall GPA at a 4.0.

Many schools will let you retake a course if you get a D or lower, but don't let you retake a C or higher - so you could check your school's policy on this.  I'm betting you're out of luck.

Also, it has to be at that particular school, as was stated before.

I would not waste a single second worrying about this course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Schools that list A+'s on transcript in any way? JumbledSpirit 3 421 02-19-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,144 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  ASU CIS-194 Transcript vesparza15 3 581 10-13-2023, 10:47 AM
Last Post: vesparza15
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,322 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Quickest and Easiest Way to Boost GPA for State College aetosdios 12 1,208 08-02-2023, 12:09 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  International Transcript Evaluation bradonomics 14 1,289 06-27-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 609 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Lost transcript mlohjj 13 1,245 11-15-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Transcript hold at college. How to finish CS degree elsewhere? HawkofDarkness 35 2,826 10-18-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 540 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore