Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bsba Capstone Difficultly?
Hello everyone, I just completed my BALS at TESU. It took me collectively about 6 months with CLEPS, SDC And Capstone. *woo hoo* but have not applied for graduation because I want to complete the BSBA in General Management ( currently at 105 credits). That being said is the BSBA Capstone harder than the BALS Capstone? What should I expect? Is it even worth pursuing?
[-] The following 1 user Likes JWells247's post:
  • icy
I would recommend you apply for graduation asap, you never know if TESU will change their requirements for graduation. Yes, you will have to pay another graduation fee but you will have peace of mind of receiving a conferred degree, than worry about completing the BSBA capstone.

I completed the BSBA capstone but I have never taken the BA capstone so nothing to compare. BSBA capstone difficultly is subjective to your business experience.
(06-18-2020, 06:28 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: I would recommend you apply for graduation asap, you never know if TESU will change their requirements for graduation. Yes, you will have to pay another graduation fee but you will have peace of mind of receiving a conferred degree, than worry about completing the BSBA capstone.

I completed the BSBA capstone but I have never taken the BA capstone so nothing to compare. BSBA capstone difficultly is subjective to your business experience.

Why do you think that they will change the graduation requirements? 
Is it because of everything going on? Plus the residency fee waiver increase? I am just curious have they switched up on people last minute?
(06-18-2020, 04:19 PM)JWells247 Wrote: Hello everyone, I just completed my BALS at TESU. It took me collectively about 6 months with CLEPS, SDC And Capstone. *woo hoo* but have not applied for graduation because I want to complete the BSBA in General Management ( currently at 105 credits). That being said is the BSBA Capstone harder than the BALS Capstone? What should I expect? Is it even worth pursuing?

If you do this remember 24 credits have to be different between the two degrees AOS. So it might be more then the 15 credits you need because of overlap.
I'm not sure I would add another degree to what you already have, unless you absolutely need it for some reason (in which case I wouldn't have done the BALS). You can always go get an MBA instead.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-19-2020, 01:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm not sure I would add another degree to what you already have, unless you absolutely need it for some reason (in which case I wouldn't have done the BALS).  You can always go get an MBA instead.

I agree with @dfrecore. Time would be better spent working on a MBA. I have written about this before, the one BSBA capstone course alone equals 3/4 (writing) of the ENTIRE MBA at WGU. Employers care more about the MBA than a BSBA, well society in general gives higher recognition when someone has a graduate degree.
Is there another BA that you could get easily with your current credits? Then you could get the Isabel I MBA.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • JWells247
(06-20-2020, 12:37 AM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 01:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm not sure I would add another degree to what you already have, unless you absolutely need it for some reason (in which case I wouldn't have done the BALS).  You can always go get an MBA instead.

I agree with @dfrecore. Time would be better spent working on a MBA. I have written about this before, the one BSBA capstone course alone equals 3/4 (writing) of the ENTIRE MBA at WGU. Employers care more about the MBA than a BSBA, well society in general gives higher recognition when someone has a graduate degree.

Hmm, maybe I was in a different MBA at WGU, but there was certainly a lot more writing than that for my MBA @ WGU.

I don't remember the exact number, but I'm guessing I wrote somewhere around 50-60 pages throughout the BSBA Capstone. Each of the MBA PA courses required at least 2-3 papers (at 3-10 pages per), plus I had at least two courses that required 4-5 papers including 20+ page reports. So, I'd guess that I did at least 3 times as much writing in the MBA than I did in the BSBA. That also doesn't include all the OA exams; or the simulation, research study, and presentation required for the MBA capstone.

In any case, the BSBA capstone can be challenging in the first few weeks because they throw a lot of work at you in rapid succession to weed out the people who are unprepared. After that, it is not too bad if you paid attention in your business core classes. You don't really learn anything in the class, it is mostly testing your ability to use your business skills to analyze situations. Most of the writing assignments can be completed in under 3 pages, some only require like 1/2 a page of actual content. The final project is a bit of a monster, but that depends a lot on the approach you take and how good you are at research.

That said, I also agree that it's better to complete a master's degree than a second bachelor's degree unless you have a good reason for doing so. I'm contemplating a second bachelor's degree in CS but mainly because I'm already pretty close to having all the credits required to complete it, and it could be useful to me in my postgraduate pursuits.

The nice thing about an MBA is that you don't need a related (business) degree to meet the entrance requirements, unlike many other master's degrees. Depending on the school, you may need to have taken some courses in accounting, finance, or statistics; but you can complete those courses without a business degree.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(06-20-2020, 12:37 AM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:

I am in the middle of my BSBA Capstone, and this is a really interesting. I am planning to move onto a MPA with a focus in Emergency Management, but I feel like I could be one of those people that manage to finish out a MBA from WGU in under a year (or possibly a six month cycle) based on the course work for the BSBA. It's tempting. I'm not sure the value that having an MBA and an MPA together, but I can admit I am kicking around the idea.
Current Course(s): Business Administration Capstone BUS-421 (TESU)

AMU (9); CSM (3); CLEP (15); DSST (3); InstantCert (15); Institutes (3)Military (51); Sophia (6); Straighterline (15); Study.com (6); Thomas Edison State University (3); University of Alaska (12)
(06-20-2020, 03:58 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Is there another BA that you could get easily with your current credits? Then you could get the Isabel I MBA.

Hi, 
I never heard of Isabel I. I will look into it. It does make more senses to just graduate and the go for the masters and put the hardwork and effort into that. 

Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,978 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 361 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 44 4,756 02-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,326 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,039 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  TESU BSBA - General Management Cire 5 772 12-01-2023, 01:16 PM
Last Post: etirflita
  BSBA/BS-CIS? Jwheels27 14 1,299 10-23-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Is CIS still a BSBA or it´s now a different degree? MrPanda 28 2,363 10-21-2023, 03:48 PM
  BSBA Accounting 2nd Degree at TESU. mog538 10 1,144 10-06-2023, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Managerial Accounting for TESU BSBA Entrepreneurship schlocker 3 501 09-21-2023, 03:35 AM
Last Post: rachel83az