Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members
- Sorry, I forgot to note down the author names. 

Having recently (last year) completed the BSBA capstone at TESU, here is the course breakdown and a few tips.
1.  7 business case studies (1000-1100 words per case study, all APA style) account for 35% of the final grade. 
2.  The midterm (10 questions plus 4 written essays during the proctored exam, timed) accounts for 25% of the final grade. The essay questions are all related to the textbook and the midterm instructions provide some guidance in the chapters for possible essays.
3.  Final paper (3500 to 5000 words, all APA style) accounts for 20% of the final grade.
4.  Weekly discussions (12 total), (each post is usually around 250-400 words and follow-up comments from other posters, all APA style) account for 15% of the final grade.
5.  ETS profile test, account for 5% of the final grade.

Tips.
1. Complete all your alt credit courses BEFORE starting the BUS capstone
2. Programs.
a. MS Word - writing the case studies, discussions, etc.
b. Grammarly (paid version) - corrects grammar, improves the overall writing style (academic level), and it reviews for possible or mistaken plagiarism.
c. Hemingway App - it's a free website tool that reviews your writing style.
d. EasyBib (paid version) - APA style generator - saved many hours putting together an APA style format. Also, the professor required in-text citations for everything. The program will auto-create in-text citations as well. another plus, it reviews for possible or mistaken plagiarism.

--
I don't know if the current BUS-421 midterm is the same as the one I took in Dec 2018, but I am assuming it is fundamentally the same. Just keep in mind that my advice may be a bit dated.

The midterm should include 10 multiple-choice questions (worth 2 points each) and 4 essay questions (worth 20 points each).

The multiple-choice questions are worded in a confusing manner, so you'll want to make sure you really understand the question before answering since several of the answers may seem correct. The essay questions will ask you to explain specific concepts or ask you to walk through the analysis of a particular problem. So make sure you understand how to perform all the different types of analysis.

To prepare, I created a self-study guide in Quizlet. These were based on cards created by @posabsolute from an earlier midterm, but updated with my own changes and additions. My cards also include page numbers from the book for reference and expanded detail. Additionally, I created a "concepts and terms" flashcard set based on the "key concepts" that were highlighted in the book. If you use my cards, be sure not to just memorize any of them. You will need to truly understand how these things work since the questions will be about the application of the concepts and processes, not the definition of the terms.

BUS-421 midterm study guide
BUS-421 midterm concepts & terms

FYI, 100% of what was on the exam was covered by my flashcards. I ended up getting 100% on the four essay questions but missed a couple of the multiple-choice questions because I didn't read them closely enough. Note: You cannot go back on the exam to revisit earlier questions (which is usually what I like to do) so I ended up moving more quickly through them than I might have liked.
--
I just completed my BUS-421 Online Capstone course with an A.  Things I had to think about when I was picking the course. Which professor,  Which course should go for Online vs Guided Study, How to write a case analysis paper. I chose online study because you get an easy 5% for completing the proficiency assessment compared to the guided study. As well as your final project is less weighted and the grades are more balanced. 

Online Discussions
Yes, Online study has more discussion assignments but it is very easy you just need to write 2 paragraphs or less. I've seen some people write less than a paragraph and have continued to do so throughout the semester. I guess they got a good grade so they just kept it that way? I recommend 2 paragraphs or enough to answer the question. It's better to be able to answer the question. The mentor does ask you follow-up questions which you can answer in a couple of sentences. Writing a response back to other students was easy and overall I felt like improved my learning experience.  Please also include and cite the sources that you find etc. The online discussions all relates back to the readings so please don't skip out on the readings

Proficiency assessment
The proficiency assessment is something that GS study have to do as well but it is not counted towards their grade

Case Study
Writing the first one is the hardest but once you get the idea of it and when you start seeing the connection of each case study to the reading chapter you will do ok. It will definitely prepare you for the final paper. 

Midterm
I was stressed out with the finals but I realized just have some confidence and understand that your case study and discussions questions are what prepares you for the midterm. Please use the study guide!! I spent 1-2 days going through the study guides bullet points if you understand each concept and analysis you will do fine. Take the practice exam to get a feel for the questions. I took the exam the first day it unlocked

Final Project 
Writing my case studies prepared me for this yes it may seem like a lot to write.. but it wasn't really. By the end of the 7 case study papers, the final project was a breeze. For me, it was less pressuring because if you looked at how Online study course grades are you could easily pass with an ok Finals paper. GS however it's worth 30% which is much more pressure to write an amazing final paper. However, I didn't slack on my final project even though I already passed the course. I learned a lot so I spent my time and effort to write a paper I would be happy about. I actually wrote two finals papers lol and deleted one halfway through. 

Tips 
  • Please make a calendar with all the due dates on it. It is not a joke I highly recommend this so you know what you have to do.
  • There is some time after your midterm which is just Online discussions due dates THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO SLACK!!! I started to write out the rest of my online discussions. I finished all 11 of my responses to the online discussions beforehand. I wrote my next case study paper! Why? because if you look at the end of the semester you can see that your case study 7 and the final paper is due within days of each other
  • Use the STUDY GUIDE! Go through each of the bullet points
  • Pick the professor with the least amount of seats available meaning its filling up like crazy
  • Don't be afraid to message your professor about anything most of them understand that most people that are taking the course is adults and sometimes life has priorities 
  • Don't skip out on the readings
  • I was lucky to buy the book for cheap and so I could make notes and flip the pages like crazy. I made so many notes for the case studies. If you are reading it take notes on company revenue, capabilities, resources, culture, competitors, and etc. Have the assignment questions printed out in front of you and when you see something that may answer it highlight it. Keep track of your sources! I used citefast.com to keep track of my sources and it helps you with your APA format.
------------------

[-] The following 10 users Like akr680's post:
  • cmcusack0, diamonds, ECH90, jch, LevelUP, MrPanda, Pach, rachel83az, ROYISAGIRL, TopHatWombat
Nothing has changed in the two years since this was posted and my experience with the course this semester.
Completed:
BSBA HR/Org Mgmt (TESU)
AS Biology (TESU)

Current Program: 
Google Project Management: Professional Certificate (Coursera)
MBA & Master in Management and Team Management (ENEB)

Upcoming:
MBA at a US school

[-] The following 1 user Likes Quackerz's post:
  • akr680
(12-09-2023, 10:15 PM)Quackerz Wrote: Nothing has changed in the two years since this was posted and my experience with the course this semester.

Congrats, did you complete your remaining classes for the BSBA? Which AOS did you select? Good work in getting this far!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-10-2023, 01:01 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(12-09-2023, 10:15 PM)Quackerz Wrote: Nothing has changed in the two years since this was posted and my experience with the course this semester.

Congrats, did you complete your remaining classes for the BSBA?  Which AOS did you select?  Good work in getting this far!
I'm one final paper for my capstone and two exams away (org theory and quantitative skills for decision makers) from earning my BSBA in HR/Org Management, then it's a three month break while I wait for my degree to be conferred so I can start a MBA program  Big Grin
Completed:
BSBA HR/Org Mgmt (TESU)
AS Biology (TESU)

Current Program: 

Upcoming:
MBA at a US school

I don't know if it's allowed, but if it is, could you post what the 7 Case Studies from the required text were?
(01-20-2024, 10:10 AM)Sean1234 Wrote:

I don't know if it's allowed, but if it is, could you post what the 7 Case Studies from the required text were?
I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed. In the Crafting and Executing Strategy text, it was Tesla, Panera, TOMS, Southwest, Amazon, LVMH and Costco.

Also, if you have an option for a professor/"mentor," I 110% recommend Dr. Courts. He requires a decent amount of writing, but as long as you clearly put the effort forth, your grade will reflect it. (And his feedback on graded assignments always boosted my mood!)
Completed:
BSBA HR/Org Mgmt (TESU)
AS Biology (TESU)

Current Program: 

Upcoming:
MBA at a US school

12 weeks, 10 hours a week, generally about 120 hours in total... give or take, depending on your learning abilities, habits, and time management.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
This is my next and final class (starting April 1). I will have some overlap with my cornerstone and I'm sweating bullets. Dr. Courts is the only "Online" class available in April so I will have him as my mentor. I appreciate everyone's feedback and study tips on the class!
(03-18-2024, 08:03 AM)faptaincrunch Wrote: This is my next and final class (starting April 1). I will have some overlap with my cornerstone and I'm sweating bullets. Dr. Courts is the only "Online" class available in April so I will have him as my mentor. I appreciate everyone's feedback and study tips on the class!
Same here!  Next and final class to finish my BSBA Accounting degree. A little nervous about the time commitment while working full time but this thread helps to know what to expect. Good luck in the class and I’ll see you in the discussion boards!!
(03-18-2024, 09:26 AM)Dosada Wrote:
(03-18-2024, 08:03 AM)faptaincrunch Wrote: This is my next and final class (starting April 1). I will have some overlap with my cornerstone and I'm sweating bullets. Dr. Courts is the only "Online" class available in April so I will have him as my mentor. I appreciate everyone's feedback and study tips on the class!
Same here!  Next and final class to finish my BSBA Accounting degree. A little nervous about the time commitment while working full time but this thread helps to know what to expect. Good luck in the class and I’ll see you in the discussion boards!!

Awesome, I'll see you there! I went for the CIS degree and don't feel that equipped since I'm a tech guy who fumbles with math/accounting and also work full time. Honestly, even registering for the class is stressful as they hit you with that wall of text about requirements and grad dates/applications.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 6 107 6 minutes ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 611 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 511 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 532 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 273 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,326 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 250 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 9 551 03-31-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 402 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 307 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az