Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's DoD MWR Library- Any Info On Funding?
Does anyone know if the Peterson's DoD MWR Library will be funded and/or why it fell through?
Here's a link to their web page stating that the site has gone dark as of Jan 1.

I personally made substantial use of this resource. It's unfortunate since I'd have to come out of pocket (albeit only $10 per DSST exam with the current military discount) in order to get the same study material. It also makes it difficult to encourage my subordinates to pursue higher education the same way I have when they won't have the same opportunity. 

Any info would be greatly appreciated, including how we may be able to get it funded again. Thanks! 
There should be some free resources that active duty military can get directly through the clep and DSST sites.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • koldplay24
(01-27-2019, 05:59 PM)MNomadic Wrote: There should be some free resources that active duty military can get directly through the clep and DSST sites.

Agreed! Unfortunately, while the DSST site has updated their page with a military discount (50%) for exam study/practice material, they still have a link to the DoD MWR Library, which has of course gone dark.
Also, while the CLEP site does offer military a free examination guide, it offers very little material as compared to what was available through Peterson's.

Either way, we lost the fine resource that was funded and offered through Peterson’s, and sadly there is no comparable replacement on the horizon.
I'm not certain what happened there, but I do know that my public library system (San Diego County) has a Peterson's section to study for the CLEP and DSST exams for free, and quite a while ago, most of the DSST's disappeared off of the site entirely. There are like 5 left. The CLEP exams are all still there, but DSST just...went away. I think Peterson's maybe decided not to spend their resources on the DSST exams at all? Maybe there's just not enough people taking them to justify the cost? Not entirely sure - but it's not just military.

Also, for whatever reason, they don't (and have never had) practice exams for all of their tests. Currently, they only have 23 out of 37. Their official exam guides also don't cover all of their exams - only 24 out of 37. Between them all, you can only cover 26 of the exams. No rhyme or reason why they don't cover all of their exams, I have always thought it was really weird.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-27-2019, 07:31 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm not certain what happened there, but I do know that my public library system (San Diego County) has a Peterson's section to study for the CLEP and DSST exams for free, and quite a while ago, most of the DSST's disappeared off of the site entirely.  There are like 5 left.  The CLEP exams are all still there, but DSST just...went away.  I think Peterson's maybe decided not to spend their resources on the DSST exams at all?  Maybe there's just not enough people taking them to justify the cost?  Not entirely sure - but it's not just military.

Also, for whatever reason, they don't (and have never had) practice exams for all of their tests.  Currently, they only have 23 out of 37.  Their official exam guides also don't cover all of their exams - only 24 out of 37.  Between them all, you can only cover 26 of the exams.  No rhyme or reason why they don't cover all of their exams, I have always thought it was really weird.
Great points! I was wondering the same thing regarding others that I assumed offered these for free. It does indicate that Peterson's withdrew this free resource, which is truly unfortunate. I would also like to have more info regarding why the other exams don't have official guides/practice tests; you'd think they would if their ultimate goal is more dough. Though maybe the demand for some just isn't there like you mentioned.
Just an interesting note: in FY 2016, there were 188,000 CLEP tests taken, and only 53,000 DSST exams taken.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • koldplay24
I realize this is an old post from January; but, I asked the base librarian and she informed me that Peterson’s lost the contract and the New contract went to: EBSCO Learning express. http://www.learningexpresslibrary3.com/
Your base library will have details about how to log in.
(05-10-2019, 12:31 PM)ECH90 Wrote: I realize this is an old post from January; but, I asked the base librarian and she informed me that Peterson’s lost the contract and the New contract went to: EBSCO Learning express. http://www.learningexpresslibrary3.com/

I just looked, and DSST is not one of the exams listed - they have CLEP, ACT, SAT, AP, GED, TOEFL, GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, ACCUPLACER, NCLEX, ASVAB - you name it, they have it.  No DSST.
(05-10-2019, 06:31 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 12:31 PM)ECH90 Wrote: I realize this is an old post from January; but, I asked the base librarian and she informed me that Peterson’s lost the contract and the New contract went to: EBSCO Learning express. http://www.learningexpresslibrary3.com/

I just looked, and DSST is not one of the exams listed - they have CLEP, ACT, SAT, AP, GED, TOEFL, GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, ACCUPLACER, NCLEX, ASVAB - you name it, they have it.  No DSST.

You are correct. Sorry I was posting on the go and I hadn’t pulled up the link yet.
(05-10-2019, 08:09 PM)ECH90 Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 06:31 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

You are correct. Sorry I was posting on the go and I hadn’t pulled up the link yet.

I figured that might be the case.  But you're the only person who has been smart enough to ask the right person to find out.

I wonder what happened with those darn DSST practice exams??

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UA Global Loses GI Funding Alpha 1 955 04-01-2022, 11:00 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Reserve: Tuition Assistance Info bjcheung77 0 1,156 12-24-2021, 05:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  PETERSON'S DSST PRACTICE TESTS OFFER (Military) UNTIL MARCH 31, 2016 fsmaine0020 0 2,294 03-09-2016, 08:12 PM
Last Post: fsmaine0020
  help funding school ffdpsoldier 17 2,498 01-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Last Post: dcan
  DLPT Transcript Request Contact Info CLEP101 0 1,408 08-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Last Post: CLEP101
  Base Library mightymouse 1 1,271 11-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Basket Weaver