Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBE and Medical School Prerequisites in Texas
I first thought that CBEs like AP, CLEP, and DSST would not be acceptable for medical prerequisites because pass/fail or credit/no credit courses aren't allowed. However, I don't think this applies to CBEs. Maybe this is because a passed CBE is automatically a C or higher. I don't know...it's kind of confusing. Anyway, it's probably not good to complete the science prerequisites this way since the science GPA will be considered in the admissions process, but I just thought I'd put it out there since many Texas colleges give lab credits for CBEs.

Quote: Each required course, listed in the table below, must be completed with a grade of C or better. Courses taken Pass/Fail or Credit/No Credit will not count towards meeting the requirement.

Advanced placement credit is accepted only if the school granting the credit lists the specific course(s) and number of units granted per course on an official transcript. Lump sum credit is not accepted.
TMDSAS Medical: Education Requirements

Quote:Do you accept Advanced Placement (AP) or College Level Examination Program (CLEP) courses?

AP, CLEP, distance learning and correspondence courses are all accepted if reported on an accredited college transcript.

AP or CLEP credit is accepted only if the school granting the credit lists the specific course(s) and number of units granted per course on an official transcript. Lump sum credit is not accepted. If these do not appear on the transcript, an official letter from the registrar is required.

It is recommended that you follow your AP credit with higher level coursework.
TMDSAS - FAQ - Prescribed Courses

Quote:Advanced Placement/CLEP - Indicate if you have received credits on your transcript from AP or CLEP examinations. AP or CLEP credit is accepted only if the school granting the credit lists the specific course(s) and number of units granted per course on an official transcript. Lump sum credit is not accepted. If these do not appear on the transcript, an official letter from the registrar is required. AP credit appearing on the transcript without subject or course names will be classified as non-science unless official documentation is received. If a letter grade is shown on the official transcript, the letter grade should be listed in the Grade column and will be included in your GPA calculations. If a letter grade is not given on the official transcript or the course is indicated as being passed, then enter the semester hours and, under Grade column, select CR – credit.
TMDSAS Medical: Section Overview
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post156241

clep3705 Wrote:"In certain circumstances a limited amount of online course work not required for the major and not a prescribed course for application to medical school may be considered." The University of Texas Health Science Center School of Medicine

...snip...

Read the research on how medical schools actually view online courses: The Acceptability of Online Courses as Criteria for Admission to Medical School

More research: https://www.aamc.org/download/277172/dat...isites.pdf

The individual medical schools in Texas have the final say. TMDSAS is really not much more than a transcript processing center.

If you receive lecture and lab credit for a year of introductory biology from CLEP, if the medical school accepts it, it may be with the stipulation that you have 2 one hour biology lab courses taken in person. It really comes down to the labs. The medical schools expect that students do all of the labs in a real laboratory at a brick and mortar college or university. Required labs are:

2 hours biology (normally with intro biology)
2 hours inorganic chemistry
2 hours organic chemistry
2 hour physics

"All A/P and/or dual credit for prerequisite courses must be retaken or substituted with a higher level course." TTUHSC :: School of Medicine : Admissions : UMSI

"Biology courses must be as required for science majors. One year may be completed by Advanced Placement credit. The other year must be completed in residence at a college and must include a full year of corresponding lab experience." https://med.uth.edu/admissions/admissions-criteria/
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
I see. Thanks for that. For that last one, it looks like you can still knockout some of the biology requirements with AP, which could still be helpful to someone.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
clep3705 Wrote:http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post156241

The individuals medical schools in Texas have the final say. TMDSAS is really not much more than a transcript processing center.

If you get lecture and lab credit for a year of introductory biology from CLEP, if the medical school accepts it, it may be with the stipulation that you have 2 one hour biology lab courses taken in person. It really comes down to the labs. The medical schools expect that students do all of the labs in a real laboratory at a brick and mortar college or university. Required labs are:

2 hour physics

"All A/P and/or dual credit for prerequisite courses must be retaken or substituted with a higher level course." TTUHSC :: School of Medicine : Admissions : UMSI

"Biology courses must be as required for science majors. One year may be completed by Advanced Placement credit. The other year must be completed in residence at a college and must include a full year of corresponding lab experience." https://med.uth.edu/admissions/admissions-criteria/

Straighterline would probably be acceptable, if they're accepting CLEPs
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
Straighterline? Not a chance. And they aren't really accepting CLEPs. Notice that the school accepting biology CBE said Advanced Placement, not CLEP. The AP biology exam is far more rigorous than the CLEP exam.

The model for medical school admissions is that you take the prerequisites in person at a brick and mortar school. For the few exceptions, you substitute the CBE with something else that was taken in person at a brick and mortar school, which essentially puts you back in the place of taking the required number of hours in person at a brick and mortar college or university.

It's really funny watching premeds argue points like these with medical school admissions officers. The medical school staff person listens attentively and then says "No."
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
72 CLEP U.S. History I
470 DSST Statistics
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
UTHSCSA goes on further to say:
Quote:On-line courses need to be from approved universities via the 6 regional accreditors (http://www.neasc.org/; http://www.ncacasi.org/; http://www.msche.org/; http://www.sacs.org/; www). You can find out if an online school is accredited by a regional accreditor recognized by the United States Department of Education by searching the United States Department of Education database.

So, it sounds like Straighterline doesn't have a chance.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Maybe you could look up the calculations for a snowball's chance in hell: Supersonic snowballs in hell: How comets explode, fizzle out, or survive a flight through the Sun's atmosphere
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
72 CLEP U.S. History I
470 DSST Statistics
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
clep3705 Wrote:Maybe you could look up the calculations for a snowball's chance in hell: Supersonic snowballs in hell: How comets explode, fizzle out, or survive a flight through the Sun's atmosphere

Ok, so straighterline is a no-go for sure. I wasn't saying an applicant could be competitive when straighterline is their only hard-science content: Only stating that it sounded like it was an option. But clearly it's not, based on this:

sanantone Wrote:UTHSCSA goes on further to say:

Quote:On-line courses need to be from approved universities via the 6 regional accreditors (http://www.neasc.org/;http://www.ncacasi.org/;http://www.msche.org/;http://www.sacs.org/;www). You can find out if an online school is accredited by a regional accreditor recognized by the United States Department of Education by searching the United States Department of Education database.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
I thought it sounded too good to be true. Med Schools are notoriously old school. I understand why in regard to lab work though.

clep3705 Wrote:http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post156241

The individual medical schools in Texas have the final say. TMDSAS is really not much more than a transcript processing center.

If you receive lecture and lab credit for a year of introductory biology from CLEP, if the medical school accepts it, it may be with the stipulation that you have 2 one hour biology lab courses taken in person. It really comes down to the labs. The medical schools expect that students do all of the labs in a real laboratory at a brick and mortar college or university. Required labs are:

2 hour physics

Tara

I'm done!Smile Thanks to InstantCert, Study.com, ALEKS, CLEP and a LOT of work on my part and a lot of support from hubby and family. If I can do it, so can you! 

Degrees:
Thomas Edison State College (TESC) - Bachelor of Science Nursing; RN, BSN (Graduated in the top of 1/4 of class with Sigma Theta Tau honors)
+ 3 courses completed towards MSN.
Excelsior College (EC) - Associates in Applied Science (passed NCLEX- RN exam and became a Registered Nurse)

The test's Passed (CLEP'S, DSST's, ALEK's, etc.):
Credits/Course
3          Introduction to Sociology
3          Lifespan and Developmental Psychology
3          Humanities (64)
3          History of the United States I (60)
3          History of the United States II (65)
3          American Government (54)
6          Biology (58)
6          Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (67)
3          Principals of Management (72)
3          ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra
3          CLEP Intro to Psych
3          ALEKS: Statistics

YOU CAN DO IT!!![Image: smile.png]
I don't think it's that med schools are "old school" as much as they are inundated by applicants who have rock-solid traditional education with 4.0 GPAs from top-notch colleges. Let's add in the letters of recommendation from other MDs/DOs who may be long-standing respected members of the medical profession, and kick-butt MCAT scores. Of "that group" they're still only accepting about 20% of the pool.
If you're being courted by a dozen prince charmings, there's really no reason to kiss a frog. :roflol:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,610 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 197 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 320 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,788 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 437 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 256 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  ACSOM - Caribbean Medical School (New!) bjcheung77 9 1,035 09-05-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UK equivalent of high school diploma axa 8 4,011 09-01-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77