Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC Criminal Justice
Star 
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on these forums for sooo long and all the information here has been so helpful. I got my AS in General Studies from COSC two years ago thanks to this forum. I was able to finish my degree with mostly SL courses.  Tongue I'm now trying to complete a BS in Criminal Justice at COSC. I initially wanted to do Legal Studies or Paralegal Studies but none of the big 3 offered them and other schools would be too expensive for me since I'm not eligible for aid or loans. I chose COSC again because I already completed the Cornerstone and since I live in CT, I can get in-state tuition which helps.

I've researched a lot and came up with a plan at just under $4800 which isn't too bad. I already have all Gen Ed requirements met at COSC (from my AS). I need to find two more UL courses (6 cr)!

Here's what I have so far:

Black = Completed
Red = Need

CORNERSTONE SEMINAR (3cr)
IDS101 -- Cornerstone Seminar -- 3 -- COSC

GENERAL EDUCATION (38cr)
COM101 -- Intro to Communications -- 3 -- SL
ENG101 -- English Composition I -- 3 -- SL
ENG102 -- English Composition II -- 3 -- SL
?          -- Intro to Ethics -- 3 -- Sophia
REL101 -- Introduction to Religion -- 3 -- SL
HUM102 -- Art Appreciation -- 3 -- Penn Foster
MAT101 -- College Algebra -- 3 -- SL
BIO101L -- Intro to Biology w/ Lab -- 4 -- SL
CHEM101 -- General Chemistry w/ Lab -- 4 -- SL
CIV101 -- Western Civilization I -- 3 -- SL
SOC101 -- Introduction to Sociology -- 3 -- SL
USHIST101 -- U.S. History I -- 3 -- SL

MAJOR REQUIREMENTS (42cr)
CRJ101 -- Criminal Justice -- 3 -- Study.com
CRJ215 -- Criminology -- 3 -- Study.com
CRJ315 -- Race, Class, & Gender in the Criminal Justice System -- 3 UL -- COSC
CRJ325 -- Ethics in Criminal Justice -- 3 -- Penn Foster
MAT105 -- Intro to Statistics -- 3 -- Sophia
POL321 -- Constitutional Law -- 3 UL -- COSC
PSY101 -- Intro to Psychology -- 3 -- Sophia
?          -- Research Methods in Psychology -- 3 -- Study.com
CRJ495 -- Criminal Justice Major CAPSTONE -- 3 UL -- COSC

CONCENTRATION
CRJ210 -- Forensic Science -- 3 -- Study.com
PLG211 -- Criminal Law -- 3 -- Study.com
PSY336 -- Abnormal Psychology -- 3 UL -- Study.com
CRJ335 -- Victimology -- 3 UL -- Study.com
?          -- Juvenile Justice System -- 3 UL -- Study.com

ELECTIVES (37cr)
?               -- Administration of Justice -- 3 UL -- Penn Foster
?               -- Death Investigation -- 3 UL -- TEEX
USHIST102 -- U.S. History II -- 3 -- SL
POLS101 -- American Government -- 3 -- SL
CIV102 -- Western Civilization II -- 3 -- SL
BIO250L -- Microbiology w/ Lab -- 4 -- SL
ANTH101 -- Cultural Anthropology -- 3 -- SL
BUS101 -- Intro to Business -- 3 -- SL
BUS106 -- Business Ethics -- 3 UL -- SL
ECON101 -- Macroeconomics -- 3 -- SL
?             -- Project Management -- 3 UL -- Sophia
MGT315 -- Organizational Behavior -- 3 UL -- SL

I'm not sure if this degree plan will work. Can anyone check and see if I missed anything or let me know if you know of better options? Thanks!  Heart

Attached Files
.xlsx   COSC BSCJ.xlsx (Size: 13.68 KB / Downloads: 7)
Just to let you know, since you're already using Sophia.org, StraighterLine, and Study.com, those are the main three providers you need to finish off your degree. Sophia has Project Management and it's UL for COSC, SL has Business Ethics & Organizational Behavior, both UL, Study.com has many to choose from... Since I mentioned SL, they have a 2 for 1 deal until the 18th, get them quick!

Update, and here's the StraighterLine Coupon Thread Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid310856
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • AmandaW, ctcarl
(06-14-2020, 03:40 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Just to let you know, since you're already using Sophia.org, StraighterLine, and Study.com, those are the main three providers you need to finish off your degree.  Sophia has Project Management and it's UL for COSC,  SL has Business Ethics & Organizational Behavior, both UL, Study.com has many to choose from... Since I mentioned SL, they have a 2 for 1 deal until the 18th, get them quick!

Update, and here's the StraighterLine Coupon Thread Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid310856

Thanks @bjcheung77! I completely missed those. I'll add Sophia's Project Management and SL's Organizational Behavior to my plan. They'll fill the 2 ULs I was missing! Yay!
I'm not an expert but one thing I notice with COSC on SDC is they seem to be whittling down what counts as UL credit.

Check here: https://study.com/college/school/charter...llege.html

CR306 Research Methods AND CR381 Victimology BOTH are denoted as lower level on SDC.

Psych 306 Advanced Abnormal Psychology still UL.

Also, I'm not sure if this is actually correct, but SL Business Ethics says it counts as PHL 486 but "denotes lower level credit." I've heard from people on this forum who have gotten it counted as UL though so ???

https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clepper43's post:
  • AmandaW
(06-14-2020, 08:44 PM)Clepper43 Wrote: I'm not an expert but one thing I notice with COSC on SDC is they seem to be whittling down what counts as UL credit.

Check here: https://study.com/college/school/charter...llege.html

CR306 Research Methods AND CR381 Victimology BOTH are denoted as lower level on SDC.

Psych 306 Advanced Abnormal Psychology still UL.

Also, I'm not sure if this is actually correct, but SL Business Ethics says it counts as PHL 486 but "denotes lower level credit." I've heard from people on this forum who have gotten it counted as UL though so ???

https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/

Yea I noticed that too... I'm still hoping that those 300-level courses from SDC go in as UL otherwise I'll need to find more UL credits somewhere else  Cry

As for SL Business Ethics, it counted as UL on my COSC degree audit (PHL 485).
Sophia.org is FREE until July 31st. Might want to do those courses first and complete them for free.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • AmandaW
(06-14-2020, 09:45 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Sophia.org is FREE until July 31st. Might want to do those courses first and complete them for free.

Yea... I already finished Statistics, Psychology, and Ethics (which was pretty hard and extremely boring... but I managed to pass) and I'm working on Project Management.  Shy
FHSU has a Criminal Justice bachelor's degree and certificates. Take courses there and transfer them to COSC.
(06-14-2020, 09:53 PM)AmandaW Wrote: Yea... I already finished Statistics, Psychology, and Ethics (which was pretty hard and extremely boring... but I managed to pass) and I'm working on Project Management.  Shy

If you have a SDC membership, I can recommend going through the relevant course videos there to help you with Sophia courses. I came close to not passing the second unit of Project Management. After finishing my two SDC courses, I watched some of their project management videos. While I am in no way qualified to be a project manager now, I at least managed to pass the course with more than the required 70%.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • AmandaW
Looks like I forgot to post the link to FHSU:

https://www.fhsu.edu/online/degrees/index
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • AmandaW

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC history major non-western history requirements Math avoidant 1 493 05-12-2022, 11:11 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Criminal Justice BA quarterlfecrisis 10 1,309 05-03-2022, 02:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  COSC Liberal Studies or Whatever Tedium 21 2,166 02-18-2022, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Help planning Criminal Justice degree evanmonast 17 2,214 12-27-2021, 06:53 PM
Last Post: evanmonast
  UMPI Criminal Justice BA - seeking input on this probably overly detailed plan! ProgressiveSloth 16 2,043 10-05-2021, 12:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Theoretical question: 1st bachelors at TESU, 2nd at COSC? studyingfortests 7 1,042 07-06-2021, 12:40 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Need some help deciding how to start TESU/COSC axelsnoski 12 1,642 06-18-2021, 09:33 AM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  COSC vs Excelsior... eventual plan for MSW studyingfortests 17 1,888 05-15-2021, 03:48 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Suggestions for coursework while I'm awaiting COSC/Excelsior credit reviews? studyingfortests 9 1,248 04-27-2021, 03:02 AM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Advise for criminal justice degree huero 19 2,162 03-22-2021, 11:50 PM
Last Post: huero