Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
COSC Questions Answered Here :)
Yes, another COSC thread, but I keep getting PM's so I thought it would be easier (hee hee and save me some time) to put everything here in a single thread.

First of all, pros and cons of COSC.

Pros: -It's now the cheapest of the big 3
-Some concentration requirements can be slightly easier than major requirement. e.g. the math requirement in the COSC Bus Admin is much lower than with TESC
-Excellent customer service
-It's a State College (but so is TESC)
-Really awesome forest green colors hilarious
-Accepts GRE's and as far as I can tell, they don't have plans to change this.**
-You can choose whether you want a BS or BA for any concentration. A BA only means that you have a few more liberal arts credits. That's the only difference.
-flexible LDAS (learned designed area of study) concentration

Cons: -Your degree will be in General Studies with a concentration. So, when I graduate, I will technically have a BS in General Studies, concentration Bus Admin. I will be listing BS, Bus Admin on my resume and elaborate only if needed****
-You have to take a Cornerstone and a Capstone class for a bachelors and just a Cornerstone for an associates.
-As a non-TESC student, TECEP's are so incredibly expensive, they're almost unusable as an option for test credit, but yes COSC accepts them.
- Name - I don't know, I like the TESC name better, but this is just a silly difference lol

** check their master list of tests to make sure that the GRE you want to take is accepted.
**** My younger bro is a COSC alum and has put this on his resume for years. No problems at all.

So.. what do you do if you want to go to COSC? Their degree planning is very easy. They have general requirements that are the same for every degree that can be found here: General Education Requirements at Charter Oak State College
The general requirements correspond to the letter codes on this list of tests, which also shows every single test that COSC accepts and what type of credit they grant for it: http://www.charteroak.edu/Current/Academ...r-list.pdf

When you're doing your degree planning, all of the general ed requirements and elective credits are the same for every degree. You need 30 UL credits, with 15 in your area of concentration. You can download a word doc for each area of concentration here: Concentrations (Majors) and CPS Forms at Charter Oak State College

From what I can tell, the degrees that can be completed with maximum CLEP/DSST tests would be psych, bus admin, liberal studies, and LDAS. Maybe there are more.. I'm not sure. My advisor was very test-friendly, so you can mention to your advisor that you're interested in testing out of as many credits as possible.

Also, when you fill out your CPS, or Concentration Plan of Study, you will need to attach a resume. This could be intimidating for younger students, but don't be afraid! It's great practice and even if you have never worked, you can always include that you're a student and perhaps any hobbies and activities you may be involved in.

That's all I can think of for now, but please ask any questions and of course PM me if you'd like, but if any comment would help others, please share here too! Smile

I hope this helps!!

P.S. My disclaimer - I don't recommend COSC over any other school. I like it and it's worked for me. I typed this up to answer questions to help out, but don't take it as a sales pitch. Lol.. I'm a COSC student and not making commission - darn it hilarious
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
One more thing to add: Here are the requirements and how many credits you'll need of each the code corresponds to the master test list I posted above:

General Education
Requirements Code Credits required

Literature and Fine Arts a 3
Behavioral Sciences b 3
Ethical Decision Making d 3
Written Communication e 6
Global Understanding g 3
Information Literacy y
Mathematics q 3
Non-US History/Culture n 3
Oral Communication o 3
Natural Sciences s 4-6
US History/Government u 3

The information literacy requirements automatically are fulfilled with an online course like the Capstone. No need to take an extra class to meet this requirement.

Other facts: COSC is a SL partner and they give you a letter grade. You can also get letter grades from any non-refreshed DSST. They do accept ALEKS, but for math will only accept College Alg or above.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
HAHA!

All hail the COSC Queen!

This is a great idea!
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:HAHA!

All hail the COSC Queen!

This is a great idea!

hilarious ha ha I'll just be happy to be a COSC alum... which will happen very soon!!

Rebel100 - you know a lot about COSC too. Definitely fill in the blanks if I'm missing something.
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
I am starting to look at COSC as an option for BA/ Psychology. I want to test out as much as possible. I checked there website, but can't seem to find a degree plan or what tests I can take. Do they accept nursing credits for general electives?
Question about Information Literacy:

You said that it is fulfilled through any online course with COSC. How many credits do they give? The Gen Ed says you need 1-3, but I was curious if that depended on which class or if there was a set amount they give you!

Thanks!
CLEP:
West. Civ I - 65, A&I Lit - 66, Biology - 65, Chemistry - 55, Nat. Sciences - 64, US Hist I - 68, Am. Lit - 61, US Hist II - 62, Am. Gov. - 67, Macroecon. - 63, Microecon. - 75, College Comp. - 66, Prin. of Marketing - 68, Prin. of Mngt - 71

DSST:
Civil War and Reconst. - 70, Prin. of Supervision - 443, Intro to World Rel - 477, Intro to Bus - 443, HR Mgmt - 64, Intro to Computing - 458, Prin. of Fin. Acct - 80Big Grin, Bus Ethics & Society - 447, Prin. of Finance - 437

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Precalc, Intro to Stats., Business Stats.

SAYLOR:
Corp. Comm - 78%, Bus Law and Ethics - 76%

PENN FOSTER:
Manag. Acct. - 96, Int. Acct. 1 - 98, Int. Acct. 2 - 87, Cost Acct. - 94, Strategic Bus. Mngt. - 95

ADAMS STATE:
Auditing - 89

LSU:
Adv. Acct. - B

TECEP:
Fed Income Taxation

BSBA Accounting
HorseManiac Wrote:Question about Information Literacy:

You said that it is fulfilled through any online course with COSC. How many credits do they give? The Gen Ed says you need 1-3, but I was curious if that depended on which class or if there was a set amount they give you!

Thanks!

The cornerstone course fulfills this requirement at COSC. They have not required anything else of me in regards to info lit. In the cornerstone you research and write ALOT! It wasn't really hard but it was time consuming. Cool thing about the cornerstone is that you mostly research and write about how your going to complaete your degree at COSC. When you finish the class you have an approved roadmap of exactly what you need to do to finish your degree.
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Erikadawn Wrote:I am starting to look at COSC as an option for BA/ Psychology. I want to test out as much as possible. I checked there website, but can't seem to find a degree plan or what tests I can take. Do they accept nursing credits for general electives?

COSC was great about this. I don't know exactly how they will use your credits for that degree but for my Organizational Leadership/Health Care they applied 15 of my Paramedic credits form CC including some lab credits. They are Nurse friendly!
AS in EMS August 2010

Erikadawn Wrote:I am starting to look at COSC as an option for BA/ Psychology. I want to test out as much as possible. I checked there website, but can't seem to find a degree plan or what tests I can take. Do they accept nursing credits for general electives?

I originally wanted to do psych. Here is the plan they sent me.

I hope this helps!! Edit: Oops just realized that one of my B&M classes was on there.. oh well no big deal, this is just an idea of what you could do and yes you could change it.

Attached Files
.doc   Less than 1 minute ago">PSY COSC CONCENTRATION PLAN OF STUDY.doc (Size: 42.5 KB / Downloads: 94)
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
rebel100 Wrote:The cornerstone course fulfills this requirement at COSC. They have not required anything else of me in regards to info lit. In the cornerstone you research and write ALOT! It wasn't really hard but it was time consuming. Cool thing about the cornerstone is that you mostly research and write about how your going to complaete your degree at COSC. When you finish the class you have an approved roadmap of exactly what you need to do to finish your degree.

Okay, but what I am trying to see is how different my degree plan will be at COSC. I am trying to fill in the gen eds and was wondering how many credits that would give b/c if it is more than 1 credit then I won't need as many electives! Smile Was it one credit or is it something I don't need to worry about?
CLEP:
West. Civ I - 65, A&I Lit - 66, Biology - 65, Chemistry - 55, Nat. Sciences - 64, US Hist I - 68, Am. Lit - 61, US Hist II - 62, Am. Gov. - 67, Macroecon. - 63, Microecon. - 75, College Comp. - 66, Prin. of Marketing - 68, Prin. of Mngt - 71

DSST:
Civil War and Reconst. - 70, Prin. of Supervision - 443, Intro to World Rel - 477, Intro to Bus - 443, HR Mgmt - 64, Intro to Computing - 458, Prin. of Fin. Acct - 80Big Grin, Bus Ethics & Society - 447, Prin. of Finance - 437

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Precalc, Intro to Stats., Business Stats.

SAYLOR:
Corp. Comm - 78%, Bus Law and Ethics - 76%

PENN FOSTER:
Manag. Acct. - 96, Int. Acct. 1 - 98, Int. Acct. 2 - 87, Cost Acct. - 94, Strategic Bus. Mngt. - 95

ADAMS STATE:
Auditing - 89

LSU:
Adv. Acct. - B

TECEP:
Fed Income Taxation

BSBA Accounting

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,932 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 4,988 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,673 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,704 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,305 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 1,981 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  COSC AA Help CGaboury 9 3,001 08-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Wait, TESU or COSC? I need to commit NOW. Help! kietro 7 2,405 08-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Last Post: kietro
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,796 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,800 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98