Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
COSC Questions Answered Here :)
Burb,

COSC gives letter grades for ALL of the Straighterline classes that they accept? Thats great..
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
alleycat Wrote:Burb,

COSC gives letter grades for ALL of the Straighterline classes that they accept? Thats great..

Yes, it is good unless you get a B or a C and didn't want it to show up. I was considering having my C+ in accounting "laundered" through FSHU, but COSC told me that they only accept SL credits directly through SL, so I am stuck with the C.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Thank you!
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Quote:I was considering having my C+ in accounting "laundered" through FSHU, but COSC told me that they only accept SL credits directly through SL, so I am stuck with the C

Couldn't you retake that SL course for a higher grade (SL will average the two) and resubmit the higher grade to COSC ? C+ could turn into a B with a some effort. The question is really if COSC will allow that, which I'm assuming they would.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Geezer Wrote:Couldn't you retake that SL course for a higher grade (SL will average the two) and resubmit the higher grade to COSC ? C+ could turn into a B with a some effort. The question is really if COSC will allow that, which I'm assuming they would.

Great idea! Yes, COSC would allow that. It would be easiest if you weren't happy to re-take the class and wait to have SL report the grade until you're ready.

LOL.. only problem with this idea is that I hate accounting so much that I think I'll stick with the C. My GPA is over 3.0, which is what was important to me, so I'm not too worried, but it's always good to bring up other options just in case!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
burbuja0512, thank you so much for your advise (sorry for my delay)! I'm looking into LDAS. How does LDAS differ from COSC's Contract Learning described in the COSC catalog on page 94?
rvm Wrote:burbuja0512, thank you so much for your advise (sorry for my delay)! I'm looking into LDAS. How does LDAS differ from COSC's Contract Learning described in the COSC catalog on page 94?

You're welcome! Great question. I hadn't even heard of contract learning until you mentioned it, so I looked it up on their site here: Contract Learning | Charter Oak State College

Seems to me that the difference would be that contract learning is just a way for you to learn a topic without having to pay for the class. Yeah COSC - what a great option! I would imagine that COSC would probably be strict about this so that people couldn't take advantage, but it sounds great.

LDAS is just a way for you to go with a concentration that they don't have or a unique combination that would benefit your degree. So let's say that you wanted your concentration to be a business/psych combo. As long as you could justify that combination for your career, they would let you make that concentration. I'm not sure why someone would do that unless you have a bunch of credits already that didn't apply to one single concentration. Maybe you have 20 business credits and 20 psych credits and don't want to do other classes? Not sure..

Hope this helps!
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Thank you burbuja0512! Smile You've been so helpful! I sent you a PM.
I was just rereading the COSC catalog. Part way through, it occurred to me I meant Individualized Study rather than Contract Learning. Here's a link to Individualized Study info. It's in the COSC catalog on page 54, as well. Individualized / Liberal Studies Concentration (Major) at Charter Oak State College
rvm Wrote:I was just rereading the COSC catalog. Part way through, it occurred to me I meant Individualized Study rather than Contract Learning. Here's a link to Individualized Study info. It's in the COSC catalog on page 54, as well. Individualized / Liberal Studies Concentration (Major) at Charter Oak State College

I think this is the same thing that I was referring to as LDAS. It seems like a really good option if you have specialized interests, or if you have a bunch of credits but not much progress towards a degree, even though they specifically say that it's not to serve this purpose.

BTW, I'm back from traveling so let me know what other questions you had! Smile
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,976 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 5,121 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,688 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,717 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,326 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 2,005 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  COSC AA Help CGaboury 9 3,045 08-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Wait, TESU or COSC? I need to commit NOW. Help! kietro 7 2,441 08-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Last Post: kietro
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,814 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,828 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98