Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
COSC Questions Answered Here :)
TECEPS are now $99 for enrolled and non-enrolled students. This might have a slight effect on this thread. Wink

Thanks wb.john for the heads up.
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...ryone.html
Still trying to figure out my plan of attack. Starting cold. Smile

Credits = 0
Oh I see. Thanks for clarifying Rebel! =]

Certification (ACA) University of Central Florida
B.A. (Social Sciences) Thomas Edison State University
surferD Wrote:TECEPS are now $99 for enrolled and non-enrolled students. This might have a slight effect on this thread. Wink

Thanks wb.john for the heads up.
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...ryone.html

GREAT INFO!!!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
what does the capstone involve?
jane in CT
jwerth Wrote:what does the capstone involve?
jane in CT

Hi Jane!

The Capstone is like any other class, but it should be a culmination of what you've learned in your concentration. My Capstone was called Strategic Management 499 and was focused on management from an executive perspective. However, it did include lots of terms and concepts that I had to learn for my other biz tests/classes. The textbook was VERY interesting and I found the assignments to be relevant for my career. Also, now that I'm in grad school, I am SO glad that I took this course to prepare me. I have no doubt that it's possible to get a masters by testing out of everything for the undergrad, but it would be tough to get used to a classroom environment online or otherwise.

If you're curious about which Capstone you would get, check out the COSC site here: Concentrations (Majors) and CPS Forms at Charter Oak State College to see the list of concentrations, then click on the ones that you're interested in and it will name the Capstone.

HTH!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
For the Oral (o) section of the COSC Gen. Ed requirements, does anyone know if there is any other option than the DSST Principles of Public Speaking exam?
NatashaB Wrote:For the Oral (o) section of the COSC Gen. Ed requirements, does anyone know if there is any other option than the DSST Principles of Public Speaking exam?
The DSST will , by far, be the simplest route I know of. You can of course transfer it in from just about anywhere. For a time the BYU Independent Studies option had a few supporters and I'm sure it's a great course, but it will run you about 5 times the cost of the DSST and take a lot more time. Penn Foster may have a viable option.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Thanks for the quick reply... I hate public speaking so trying to find a course that involves a minimal amount of it! But if the DSST is the most cost effective then that it will have to be that one. I definitely don't want to spend out more than I have to.
NatashaB Wrote:For the Oral (o) section of the COSC Gen. Ed requirements, does anyone know if there is any other option than the DSST Principles of Public Speaking exam?
With the right experience in public speaking documented the right way, it may be possible to have the requirement of a public speaking course or exam waived. From the original post in another thread here last year, Degree plan help for COSC Public Safety Admin:

DrJohn Wrote:The oral communication requirement is planned on being waived, I have prepared the packet to send to the provost for approval.
I was able to have the oral communications requirement at COSC waived . It was pretty straight forward, I had my employer write a letter on letterhead attesting to my public speaking abilities and he gave a couple of examples along with it, although it wasn't nessesarly needed.

I then wrote a letter to Dr. Adams, the provost explaining my background, I submitted with the letter the official request form, as well as a copy of my police instructors license as well as a PowerPoint presentation that I had prepared. I was sent an email two days later stating the request was granted and the oral communications requirement was waived.

It is worth a try, I think as long as you can articulate some reasonable experience in public speaking / oral communication that they grant the waiver.
Air University - Air Command and Staff College - In Progress

Bachelor of Science - Charter Oak State College - 3.9 GPA (based on 133 graded credits)

Paramedic Medicine - Austin Community College

Law Enforcement Technology - Rio Salado College

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,036 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 5,199 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,703 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,725 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,351 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 2,027 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  COSC AA Help CGaboury 9 3,078 08-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Wait, TESU or COSC? I need to commit NOW. Help! kietro 7 2,473 08-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Last Post: kietro
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,833 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,857 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98