Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC Science Lab Requirement ?
We have CLEP credit for both Biology and Chemistry.  Charter Oak requires science with lab credit.  Can we take their "SCI 202: Interdisciplinary Science Lab" for 1 credit to fulfill the requirement?  Is this a good way to go?  Thanks!  Smile
My kid took SL biology lab to fulfill the COSC science lab requirement a couple of years ago. The lab kit is even cheaper now.
Study.com has a new bio lab -- not sure if/how it transfers.
(04-05-2018, 05:26 PM)triforce828 Wrote: My kid took SL biology lab to fulfill the COSC science lab requirement a couple of years ago.  The lab kit is even cheaper now.  

I am trying to not lose the 6 credits banked for the biology CLEP.  That was a lot of work, and 6 credits is more time/money.  It seems they would not let us count biology credits twice???
Just take a science lab course. SL has both Bio and Chem, and so does Ed4Credit. Ed4Credit's turns out to be cheaper unless you're already paying for SL's membership and want to add the course.

I have no idea how the COSC lab comes in, but you should just ask them and see what they say. I've heard their customer service is worlds better than TESU's.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-05-2018, 05:31 PM)stampbuyme Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 05:26 PM)triforce828 Wrote: My kid took SL biology lab to fulfill the COSC science lab requirement a couple of years ago.  The lab kit is even cheaper now.  

I am trying to not lose the 6 credits banked for the biology CLEP.  That was a lot of work, and 6 credits is more time/money.  It seems they would not let us count biology credits twice???

COSC requires a lab with the science credit. There's no way to get around it as far as I know.

Won't the extra CLEP credits be applied to the electives section? And it will count towards Liberal Arts hours...
The short answer is you need to "add" a 1 credit lab science- it won't erase or override the existing non-lab science credit. In other words, you'll still have your 6 biology credits, you need to +1 to bring it up to 7.
Hi! I took Sophia's Environmental Science course and then COSC's 1cr. lab course. It was only about $300 to take it at COSC because of only being one credit. The class was fairly easy and was guided, which was what I needed. Plus, you really only have to write an eight-page paper, rather than do a bunch of self-guided labs (like SL). I hate writing and I ended up liking the topic I picked so much that I wrote 15 pages.  Big Grin  

I'd recommend COSC's lab just because it's close in price once you add in the cost of the lab kit for SL. And it's an easy A. 

Kel
http://www.riosalado.edu/Schedule/pages/...=&building=

Chemistry Lab $105 for the lab kit.

The rest of the Rio Salado labs:

http://www.riosalado.edu/Schedule/pages/...g=&section=

My favorite lab was the Nutrition lab because it didn't require a lab kit, I just paid for the one-credit course. If you have room take a nutrition course and use the lab in conjunction with it.

http://www.riosalado.edu/Schedule/pages/...=&building=
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,927 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,673 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,305 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  COSC AA Help CGaboury 9 3,001 08-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Wait, TESU or COSC? I need to commit NOW. Help! kietro 7 2,404 08-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Last Post: kietro
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,796 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,537 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker
  TESU gen. ed. algebra requirement alternatives? kietro 5 1,691 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rckola911
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,800 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  TESU - BA in Computer Science Gone? MrBossmanJr 5 1,694 07-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Last Post: MNomadic