Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline - Open Book Searching / Help Please
Question 
I've signed up for a few SL course all that are open book for the exam, my question is I cannot figure out the best way to search when taking the Quiz Tests in the e-book that comes along with the course. Help on utilizing the search feature of the e-book (that displays through the bookshelf app) would be greatly appreciated.  Feel free to message me if you have tips but aren't comfortable posting publicly. All required courses for my degree and getting these topics completed as quickly as possible is my goal. 

Currently I'm signed up for:

Business Statistics
Financial Accounting
Managerial Accounting

If these go well I'm considering also signing up for Organizational Behavior, Introduction to Business, Principles of Management, and Business Ethics.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

There's only one way of searching, using two or three words in quotes. The main point is to get the highest scores possible before getting into the Final Exam. If you have open book final exams, that would be great... if not, then you need to do well before that final. Again, the best way to search for info is using "two or three words in quotes".
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
The two or three words in quotes is helpful in many instances, but in other instances, I found it easier to locate a topic by using a mixture of words in quotes and other words out of quotes. An example search... ["current assets" prepaid]

To be honest, VitalSource is the worst ereader I've ever used; I don't understand WHY so many schools use it! The functionality would be acceptable 15 years ago; they really need a major upgrade!
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
If the question (or an answer option) includes a series of items there is a chance it may be a direct quote from the text. Try searching for the full series of items including the commas and you may find the exact quote in the book. This is the same with long unique phrases. Try the full phrase first, if you don't get any matches start removing words and trying options in quotes. If you search for too many words you will either get too many returns or none at all.
There are people that don't read the textbook at all because you can just search the answers in exams, BUT a massive aid to reading the book/taking a little bit of notes is that it can help you narrow down your search terms IMMENSELY when taking a final. For instance, the phrase I'm looking for might be a bit common in the book, but if I remember what chapter the question was pulled from, I can just go straight to those results and not even bother with the rest.

YMMV, but I've never had a ton of problems with the search feature for any SL exam and I feel like it's a bit in part due to this.
My journey to TESU BSBA-GM
The Institutes (2cr): Business Ethics
Liberty University (27cr): INFT, International Business, Apologetics, Microeconomics, Biology, Non-Profit Management, Financial Acct., Computer Apps, Managerial Acct.
Liberty University MOOC (3cr): US Hist
Study.com (39cr): American Government, Environmental Science, Sociology, Psychology, Labor Relations, Marketing with Electronic Media, Principles of Finance, Business Communications, HR Management, Civil War/Reconstruction, History of Vietnam War, Personal Finance, Introduction to Marketing
Straighterline (39cr): Western Civ II, Financial Accounting, Cultural Anthropology, AmHist I, AmHist II, Intro to Religion, Business Statistics, Principles of Management, English II, Business Law, Intro to Comm, Org. Behavior, Macroeconomics
ALEKS (3cr): College Algebra
TEEX (2cr): Cyber Security for Business Professionals
TESU (3cr): Strategic Management TECEP
UExcel (3cr): English 101
also, spelling is paramount. If you misspell even one of your keywords, it will return no responses.

Best thing to do is look for unique words and phrasing. Use those as your search, delete common words such as 'the' and 'and', and as previously mentioned, pay attention to the chapters.

...And slow down a bit. Getting frustrated only makes it worse. Your search speed will improve with time!
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

(08-21-2017, 11:56 AM)allvia Wrote: I've signed up for a few SL course all that are open book for the exam, my question is I cannot figure out the best way to search when taking the Quiz Tests in the e-book that comes along with the course. Help on utilizing the search feature of the e-book (that displays through the bookshelf app) would be greatly appreciated.  Feel free to message me if you have tips but aren't comfortable posting publicly. All required courses for my degree and getting these topics completed as quickly as possible is my goal. 

Currently I'm signed up for:

Business Statistics
Financial Accounting
Managerial Accounting

If these go well I'm considering also signing up for Organizational Behavior, Introduction to Business, Principles of Management, and Business Ethics.
Hi, I didn't take financial or managerial accounting, I took accounting I and accounting II. The finals were only around 10% of the grade, so I'm not sure if it's the same for those classes. I brute forced my way through all the previous quizzes and did ok on the finals. (I don't know ANYTHING about accounting mathematics) Business statistics, the final was harder but doable. The search feature I would just type the major topics of the question and search, for example, 'bond financing written promise' for the question, "What type of bond financing is a written promise?" (just a question I made up)

Even if these classes just go OK I definitely recommend Organizational Behavior, Introduction to Business, Principles of Management, and Business Ethics. I've taken all of those, plus the statistics and accounting I&II, and the statistics and accounting classes were by far the hardest!
I'm finding Vitalsource to be a bit frustrating. Originally, I was only using it online. This made searching helpful because I could use the 'search the book' feature, and use the "CTRL + F" feature to find certain words on the resulting page. For example, I could search the book for "George Washington" and then search the page I was on with a CTRL+F for "as president". I am not able to figure out how to do this with the full application, just the web browser version.

The web browser version does not display my English Composition book the same way the full application does. The web browser version will not allow me to see all of the content in one page so that I can scroll vertically. The application version does. I asked Vitalsource about it, and they said it was a limitation they had no control over. Neither the browser or full app of the book allowed me to search for certain terms that I was able to find by using the index and then going to the correct page. Luckily, up to this point, this is not a book that I have needed to rely on for any tests.

I haven't taken any of the courses that you have listed, but my recommendation (based on my experience) is to try the web browser version to see if it works better for you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 80 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,623 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 261 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 2 366 01-26-2024, 12:44 PM
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 539 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 665 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 414 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 580 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,121 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore