Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CUNY SPS and Saylor
I've been a long time subscriber of this forum and learned so much information.  I have not decided on a school yet to finish my degree, as I've been back and forth deciding between CUNY SPS, Fairfield University (where I originally attended 14 years ago) Bachelor of Liberal studies and Boston University MET online Bachelor Liberal studies.  Prestige $$ vs. Ease (not as in easy but online and less $$)
Well to my surprise, almost a month ago, there was an article published on Saylor that states that they partnered up with Saylor! What a great source of potential credit for the Bachelor degree at that insitution.  So in the past I've read on this forum they accept test credit- Clep, ECE, DSST and now they also accept Saylor.   :) 
Source- https://www.saylor.org/2019/09/saylor-ac...fZFql343Zs 
*if someone already mentioned this, please excuse the double post.
[COLOR="Magenta"]65 B&M credits so far Smile
ACE Credits-
Sophia Conflict Resolution
Kaplan PLA course
FEMA - PDS Certificate (2011)

BA hopeful :hurray:

Eventually-
Masters degree
Valdosa DPA [/COLOR]
(10-06-2019, 06:50 AM)lawqueen04 Wrote: I've been a long time subscriber of this forum and learned so much information.  I have not decided on a school yet to finish my degree, as I've been back and forth deciding between CUNY SPS, Fairfield University (where I originally attended 14 years ago) Bachelor of Liberal studies and Boston University MET online Bachelor Liberal studies.  Prestige $$ vs. Ease (not as in easy but online and less $$)
Well to my surprise, almost a month ago, there was an article published on Saylor that states that they partnered up with Saylor! What a great source of potential credit for the Bachelor degree at that insitution.  So in the past I've read on this forum they accept test credit- Clep, ECE, DSST and now they also accept Saylor.   Smile 
Source- https://www.saylor.org/2019/09/saylor-ac...fZFql343Zs 
*if someone already mentioned this, please excuse the double post.

I commented on their Facebook page when they announced this partnership, a couple weeks back, but I don't think anyone has posted over here about it.
I wrote "30 Saylor Academy credits at CUNY SPS = $18,000 savings!" which is a glass-half-full way to say that the other 90 credits will cost you $54,000 unless you have a solid plan.

I love the allowance of alternative credit, but the average person won't be able to find 90 credits to transfer, and even if you tap into everything they allow, lining up 90 is tough. Looking over their list, I think a reasonably good degree plan (starting from scratch) would bring in 60 alternatively. Yes, they'll take your transfer credit, but who is walking around with only upper-level transfer credit? Noone. The catch here, is that you're paying full price for MANY credits later- so getting you in the door with free lower level is enticing, but you're going to pay a premium to finish your degree there because you'll have no choice but to pay rack rate tuition.
Thank you for your reply, and yes it is something to consider.  For a New York resident such as myself, to have CUNY as my college seems preferred as it is of course easily recognized(vs out of state schools).   As someone who is looking for graded courses to improve poor GPA, this seems to fit pretty well.  Also, if any student regardless of state of residency completes an online program, they are charged in-state tuition,  which for NY is the lowest I've seen, besides community colleges.  

Per credit it is $305(exclusive of fees)
So if a person has to take 90 credits it would be about $27,450 tuition.
 If a person has to complete 60 credits which would be about $18,300 tuition.  

Per semester it is $3,465 ×4 (about 60 credits) it is just under $14,000.

It is not as inexpensive as TESC or COSC or others, but to me it seems like a pretty decent contender for a NY college.   Especially compared to the private schools listed above ive considered which are about $35,000 for 2 years of study.
[COLOR="Magenta"]65 B&M credits so far Smile
ACE Credits-
Sophia Conflict Resolution
Kaplan PLA course
FEMA - PDS Certificate (2011)

BA hopeful :hurray:

Eventually-
Masters degree
Valdosa DPA [/COLOR]
[-] The following 1 user Likes lawqueen04's post:
  • MDela3
(10-06-2019, 09:27 AM)lawqueen04 Wrote: Thank you for your reply, and yes it is something to consider.  For a New York resident such as myself, to have CUNY as my college seems preferred as it is of course easily recognized(vs out of state schools).   As someone who is looking for graded courses to improve poor GPA, this seems to fit pretty well.  Also, if any student regardless of state of residency completes an online program, they are charged in-state tuition,  which for NY is the lowest I've seen, besides community colleges.  

Per credit it is $305(exclusive of fees)
So if a person has to take 90 credits it would be about $27,450 tuition.
 If a person has to complete 60 credits which would be about $18,300 tuition.  

Per semester it is $3,465 ×4 (about 60 credits) it is just under $14,000.

It is not as inexpensive as TESC or COSC or others, but to me it seems like a pretty decent contender for a NY college.   Especially compared to the private schools listed above ive considered which are about $35,000 for 2 years of study.

Sounds to me like it's worth persuing. If someone like you were able to formulate a degree plan that actually let someone bring in 90 credits and finish the rest the degree for, say $8-10K, that would definitely be very attractive to a lot of people. Even a degree plan that only managed 60 credits and got the rest of the degree under $20K would be interesting.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saylor---Easy??? midnite123 12 1,621 10-06-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Saylor Proctoring $5 for all classes now! bjcheung77 18 2,640 03-16-2022, 06:33 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  CUNY - Online Degree Completion ($4,575! Transfer up to 105 credits out of 120!) nomaduser 38 7,732 09-18-2020, 05:06 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  College Algebra CLEP Prep - Saylor or Study.com? tifferbugz 7 1,945 10-27-2018, 11:59 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Saylor Academy expanding their offerings cookderosa 35 6,941 11-18-2017, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Nixi
  Calculator for Saylor Business Statistics? keepsingin 7 2,605 10-21-2017, 11:19 PM
Last Post: keepsingin
  Saylor Intro to Statistics a2jc4life 0 1,038 04-12-2017, 02:00 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life
  Anyone Taken Saylor's Intro to Comparative Politics? keepsingin 8 2,799 04-05-2017, 10:19 AM
Last Post: icampy
  Has anyone used the flash cards to study for a Saylor exam? xrep08 7 2,566 02-28-2017, 09:27 PM
Last Post: hightecrebel
  Saylor NCCRS all classes? morig 5 1,329 10-17-2016, 06:20 PM
Last Post: cookderosa