Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California Coast University
I just read that Basket Weaver is going for the MS in Psychology from California Coast University like you. I read early on in your masters thread that you were anticipating up to 18 months to complete this, however it appears that you have been at it for only 6 months (Nov.-May) and are 2 courses shy. Are you really about to bust out an MS in a little over 6 months? Did you challenege any of the courses? Please give us the scoop. I will be graduating soon with a BS in Psych from Excelsior and I am intrigued about getting through an MS program like this as quick as possible.
steelers Wrote:I just read that Basket Weaver is going for the MS in Psychology from California Coast University like you. I read early on in your masters thread that you were anticipating up to 18 months to complete this, however it appears that you have been at it for only 6 months (Nov.-May) and are 2 courses shy. Are you really about to bust out an MS in a little over 6 months? Did you challenege any of the courses? Please give us the scoop. I will be graduating soon with a BS in Psych from Excelsior and I am intrigued about getting through an MS program like this as quick as possible.

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]Yes, at first I was estimating, or at least giving myself 18 months to complete the program but have obviously increased my pace considerably. It is important to distinguish a few things.

One, I work tirelessly on these courses, more than I should but I want to get it behind me.

Two, my minor was Psych so like you with a major in Psych you will be well versed in the topic.

Three, as a LEO for 26+ years now I am quite familiar with the many aspects of Psychology from street experience and readily able to apply my experiences into my course work, especially all of the writing assignments.

Hardwork, dedicated effort, and experience allowed me to blast through this program at warp speed. At present I now estimate that I shall be done around Memorial Day or so.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Did you challenge any courses? Can you tell us about which courses you have taken and their level of difficulty? I'm so used to studying for exams that I don't know how I would fair taking traditional courses and doing homework, etc. IC has kind of been a security blanket for me. I have not done that stuff in about 12 years. I have taken the following UL Psych exams using IC exclusively:

GRE Psychology 590 (48th percentile) March, 2006

2007:
Abnormal Psych A
Adulthood & Aging A
Gerontology B
Research Methods A
Social Psych (next)
steelers Wrote:Did you challenge any courses?

[SIZE="2"]No challenge exams, I completed every course required.[/SIZE]

Can you tell us about which courses you have taken and their level of difficulty?

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="navy"]Here is a list of the courses that I have taken and/or about to complete by May 31st.

GRM697 THE RESEARCH PROCESS
PSY501 DEVELOPMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY
PSY503 HUMAN SEXUALITY
PSY505 PSYCHOPATHOLOGY
PSY509 THEORIES OF MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
PSY511 PROFESSIONAL ETHICS & THE LAW
PSY517 ALCOHOL AND CHEMICAL SUBSTANCE ABUSE
PSY525 COUNSELING SYSTEMS AND TECHNIQUES
PSY527 ASSESSMENT TECHNIQUES
PSY530 PSYCHOLOGY OF AGING
PSY540 PHYSIOLOGICAL PSYCHOLOGY
PSY550 GROUP PSYCHOTHERAPY
PSY560 CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY

I would say that (speaking for me alone) they were of moderate difficulty.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
Shoto,
How will your degree be marketable? I am trying to decide between Masters Social Work or Psych - but to sit for state boards in psych you need to have a PhD in my state. I would much rather go the psych route but can't yet envision going all the way to PhD. Is your program acredited?
Thanks, Johanna
Johanna Wrote:Shoto,
How will your degree be marketable? [SIZE="2"]It works for me in my current field (law enforcement) and will also provide me a spring board into counseling work in the public school system once I (finally) retire.[/SIZE]

Is your program accredited? [SIZE="2"][COLOR="navy"]Yes, CCU is an NA school accredited through the DETC which is of course recognized by CHEA and the US DoEd.

Good Luck![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks, Johanna
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA

First off, thanks to all for the congratulations and kind words.

I thought I would offer up some feedback on my experience with CCU in order to help anyone furthering their education. I never thought that I would ever have a Masters degree, thanks to information found on this forum, Shotojuku's example, and a lot of encouragement...I did it. I feel it only fitting that I continue the tradition and post my feedback that will hopefully light the way for someone else, much the way it was lit for me.

CCU is California Coast University; they are located in Santa Anna and are nationally accredited. They offer several Master degrees...see the following link for detailed info on the programs and the school itself:
California Coast University - Accredited Distance Learning Degree Programs

I signed up with them on June 15th of 2007 and completed the coursework for MBA HRM on Dec 15th 2007.

The course is set up so that you can proceed at your own pace. You have to first buy all the textbooks. I paid $120 for 9 used text books via Amazon and rented the remaining four from CCU; it cost $25 per book for a three-month rental and you only pay shipping for the return.

I signed up for 3 courses at a time and worked on them 12 hours a day when I was off and as much as I could when I had to work; I seriously invested all of my time into this degree.

The courses are set up in this manner: CCU will e-mail you a study guide which outlines the material in the book and contains four 25 question unit exams; each one is 20% of your score for the course. Miss more than two questions and you'll get a B; more than five is a C. After you submit, and pass, all four unit tests, you have to have the 100 question final sent to a proctor. The proctor can be anyone who is not a family member; I used a co-worker. These can now be sent electronically to speed up the process. After you take the final you have to fax it back; I usually got my score via e-mail within 12-36 hours, they grade the finals everyday around 10:30 in the morning. Before the course is considered complete, you must also write 3 essays; you usually have 5 questions to choose from that must be thoroughly answered. These essays are pass/fail and must be graded before you receive credit for the course.

You can take 10 courses and write a thesis, or take 13 courses and not write one; keep in mind you'll still be writing the equivalent of a thesis anyways as 39 essays add up.

The last item to add is that if you can show, in writing, that you have prior experience in a subject, you can challenge the course (up to 3 total). I wrote a six-page academic resume, complete with an essay on why I thought I was worthy of challenging the courses, and was approved for all three; this saved me having to write nine essays & complete four unit exams as all I had to do was take the final.

Now, here's the biggest issue I had with the course.....these are open book tests....sounds really easy doesn't it....how can you fail with an open book, untimed test...right? HA, not so fast there slick! I spent 12-18 hours PER FINAL in the books digging for answers; it was common to spend over an hour on a single question. These are not black and white questions/answers, they consist of applying principles and theories into a scenario and choosing the right answer (many of which had almost identical answers). I read each textbook, cover to cover, at least three times. It is a very clever way of teaching the material as you first have to read the chapter, learn the principles, then be able to apply the knowledge...not an easy thing to do on one's own. I wanted to score well on each test and did not stop unless I found the answer....to the best of my ability anyways. Even after all of this effort, there were still times I feared I would fail a test. Hands down, they were the most difficult tests I've ever seen, ECE tests were a joke compared to these; some nights I was a raving madman and just had to stop for the night.:eek: I finally finished with 10 A’s and 2 B’s for a GPA of 3.87.

The school and staff of CCU were very friendly, ALWAYS answered my calls and questions the first time; they were a joy to work with. There was a small registration fee but no outrageous Excelsior “graduation fees”...an added plus is a diploma that you won’t be ashamed to display.

The courses cost $630 ($210 an hour); the cost is the same if you challenge the course or not. If you fail the challenge, you don’t pay again, you just take the course as normal; I recommend trying to challenge all three if you can come up with some sort of justification (experience, courses, training classes, prior degree). Military members can take advantage of TA paying for this; I recommend you start the program in the middle of the year because you’ll soon use up your $4,500 cap...it renews itself on Oct 1st thoughBig Grin !

Let me know if anyone has any further question and I’ll do my best to answer them. I’m not a spokesperson for CCU, nor do I get anything out of this other than the pleasure of helping others better themselves. Lee
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
Basket_Weaver,

After reading your previous posts, I went to the CCU web-site and did an initial run-through on thier programs. I am in the market for a MBA and/or Masters in Project Management and am currently evaluating my options.

If my understanding of the program is correct, it is a self-paced, mostly self-taught approach. Did you have any cohorts in the program to bounce ideas off as you went through each class or was it truly "One Man's Struggle"?

My second question is how do you plan to apply your degree in the commercial world? Have you (or will you) apply for a job that requires a Masters to qualify for the position. I know that it is to early to tell, but how is the CCU degree being received by potential employers - good, bad, neutral?

SAMFOX! and keep 'em flying safe
No, it is a one man journey as far as learning the material. To be honest, it wasn't that much new info, just more in-depth. There were three courses alone in HRM, how many different ways can one say the same thing?

Since I retired from the Air Force, I have decided to go it alone and start a business so I won't be using any of my degrees after all. If something goes sour with the business, its always good to know I have a very sound plan B.

As to your question about how the degree is received by potential employees, check out this link

https://www.calcoast.edu/recogn.php

I think you'll agree that there are quite a few fortune 500 companies that honor their degree. In fact, many of these same companies send their managers there to get their Masters.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions, Lee
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
Excellent!

Thank you for the information, it sounds intriguing. It sounds like a much better alternative to the classroom environment! Has CCU pursued regional accreditation?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 222 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,613 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,549 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,935 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 598 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,242 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,610 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 351 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,487 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff