Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Call your old colleges if you hacent!
Today I was able to add 9 credits that I paid for in 2004 when I went to St. Leo for a semester... A math class just below College Algebra, Itegrated Physical Science, and English Comp I. Felt like 9 free credits... and now, I will likely take English Comp II during second Summer Semester at CCAC. I also Finished Intro to Comm so today I added 12 credits bringing me up to 57/120

I also put in a request to my first college, which I attended for a semester or 2, to send me my transcripts so I can see how much free credits I may have from them! Should receive that transcript next week via mail. Would be nice to get 6-9 more "free" credits from 1996/1997 lol
Working towards BA Psychology from TESU
Started 3/22/2017 with Aleks and the Institute
Started 4/4/2017 with Straighterline
72/120 credits so far.

Straighterline: 4/4/2017
REL-277 Introduction to Religion
ANT-101 Introduction to Anthropology
POS-110 American Government
HIS-101 Western Civilization I
HIS-102 Western Civilization II
HIS-113 American History I
HIS-114 American History II
SOC-101 Introduction to Sociology
BIO-208 Nutrition
PSY-101 Introduction to Psychology
STA-201 Statistics
HEA-203 Medical Terminology
COM-101 Introduction to Communications
BUS-301 Principles of Management
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Integrated Physical Science
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1
Good advice.

I called one of my old colleges that I only did 1 class at and even though in email with TESU they told me I wouldn't be allowed to use it in my CIS concentration. I still decided to pay the 5$ and have it transferred over. I had my evaluation done a month later and it was put in in the CIS concentration.

Meaning one less class to do which was a big help. Now I got one class left and I should be finished. so will see. It has been a long/short journey.

Saved me roughly 250$ and time to study.
Ancapman Wrote:Today I was able to add 9 credits that I paid for in 2004 when I went to St. Leo for a semester... A math class just below College Algebra, Itegrated Physical Science, and English Comp I. Felt like 9 free credits... and now, I will likely take English Comp II during second Summer Semester at CCAC. I also Finished Intro to Comm so today I added 12 credits bringing me up to 57/120

I also put in a request to my first college, which I attended for a semester or 2, to send me my transcripts so I can see how much free credits I may have from them! Should receive that transcript next week via mail. Would be nice to get 6-9 more "free" credits from 1996/1997 lol

I know its been 20 years but how did you like Saint Leo?
1996? Those are practically brand new! Mine old credits came from 1980-88.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Ideas
davewill Wrote:1996? Those are practically brand new! Mine old credits came from 1980-88.

I'm with you, mine start in 1988.

A college transcript is never too old to bring into a degree. Now, some schools may not accept certain courses in certain areas (TESU limited by old business courses to 10cr in the AOS; computer courses will certainly be limited in the AOS as well). But most courses will be accepted; history, humanities, biology, etc. Even if they won't come into the major, they may still be used for Gen Ed, Electives, etc.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Brian12 Wrote:I know its been 20 years but how did you like Saint Leo?

Gosh... I mean they are nice folks... the main thing i remembered was how incredibly boring the english professor was... It was all online when online was new in 2004!

When I started college in 1996, instead of online there were 3 kinds of distance learning... Correspondence, TV (local public access at ungodly hours to watch lecture), and video tapes..... i never took any classes those ways, but hey it was "high tech". 2 classes I am sure wont get credit from TESU are Introduction to Computers and Introduction to the Internet... back then 3 credits each. The latter class taught us all about the history of the internet, how to use email using Eudora email client, and how to browse the web. I didnt even own a computer yet.

The Intro to computers class was pretty extensive and taught you how to use Windows, Excel, Word, and Powerpoint. I remember vaguely taking Eng Comp I there as well. Along with my first of now 3 times taking into to psych (took it at St. Leo also apparently). I also remember somewhat Into to Philosophy. I know I signed up for 24 credits... back then credits were $13 ea.
Working towards BA Psychology from TESU
Started 3/22/2017 with Aleks and the Institute
Started 4/4/2017 with Straighterline
72/120 credits so far.

Straighterline: 4/4/2017
REL-277 Introduction to Religion
ANT-101 Introduction to Anthropology
POS-110 American Government
HIS-101 Western Civilization I
HIS-102 Western Civilization II
HIS-113 American History I
HIS-114 American History II
SOC-101 Introduction to Sociology
BIO-208 Nutrition
PSY-101 Introduction to Psychology
STA-201 Statistics
HEA-203 Medical Terminology
COM-101 Introduction to Communications
BUS-301 Principles of Management
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Integrated Physical Science
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1
I joined this forum to help my 16 year old through this process. But I have a question about me that relates to OLD credits.

WAAAAAYYYYY back in 1994 when Excelsior was Regents they did an eval for me and awarded me 78 hours completed for the courses I took in 1985-88. They gave me a "Status Information Sheet" that detailed what I still needed to complete my degree, which was 42 additional credit hours. Back then it was harder, as has been mentioned. Correspondence courses via snail mail were expensive and I didn't have time to go to school at night. I dropped the ball and got on with life...yada yada.

I think I might want to get that degree now! I'm sure my eval gave me credit for the courses I got a D in though. Would they do that now? I am so embarrassed to look at my transcript. Oy, what a waste. If I have to redo my courses with a D, add 24 credit hours to the 42 I thought I needed. Sad

Now how do I figure out which school I should have give me a new evaluation? If I need to request transcripts I don't want to spend money and time getting evaluations from multiple schools. I think I am a psych major, I have a bunch of upper level credits in that, but now at almost 50yo I wish I could be an English major. I suppose if I have to do over a bunch of credits I can major in what I want!

Is TESU usually the most liberal with awarding for old credits? What about bad grades? How did you decide which school to go with?
Ancapman Wrote:Gosh... I mean they are nice folks... the main thing i remembered was how incredibly boring the english professor was... It was all online when online was new in 2004!

When I started college in 1996, instead of online there were 3 kinds of distance learning... Correspondence, TV (local public access at ungodly hours to watch lecture), and video tapes..... i never took any classes those ways, but hey it was "high tech". 2 classes I am sure wont get credit from TESU are Introduction to Computers and Introduction to the Internet... back then 3 credits each. The latter class taught us all about the history of the internet, how to use email using Eudora email client, and how to browse the web. I didnt even own a computer yet.

The Intro to computers class was pretty extensive and taught you how to use Windows, Excel, Word, and Powerpoint. I remember vaguely taking Eng Comp I there as well. Along with my first of now 3 times taking into to psych (took it at St. Leo also apparently). I also remember somewhat Into to Philosophy. I know I signed up for 24 credits... back then credits were $13 ea.

Yes, they will definitely give you credit for Intro to Computers, even if it's a million years old, to be used in the Gen Ed area. They wouldn't let you use it in the AOS for a computer degree, but certainly for a Psych degree.

It will go into your Sciences area.

Intro to the Internet I'm not sure, but that might work as well, or else go to Free Electives.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
A neglected college transcript with a course grade of D-/D/D+ might be useful. You may think you failed the course when the instructor gave you a D. But D is for done if it is to TESU for GE or free electives. Of course you must offset every D with another graded course of B or better. So you can't do just ACE credits and a bunch of Ds. F grades don't transfer so you can ignore them.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
TrailRunr Wrote:A neglected college transcript with a course grade of D-/D/D+ might be useful. You may think you failed the course when the instructor gave you a D. But D is for done if it is to TESU for GE or free electives. Of course you must offset every D with another graded course of B or better. So you can't do just ACE credits and a bunch of Ds. F grades don't transfer so you can ignore them.

My D in Chem fulfilled my Science requirement at TESU, hallelujah! But they will not accept D-'s.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Guide to Jesuit Colleges LevelUP 2 318 04-26-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 189 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 360 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 217 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Newsweek: America's Top Online Colleges 2024 Ares 6 567 02-14-2024, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  We Have Moved on From the Basic “Big 3” Colleges and Now Have CBE Big 3 and Others LevelUP 57 7,351 11-14-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Religious Colleges ss20ts 33 3,967 11-10-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  The Top U.S. Colleges for Partying LevelUP 1 310 10-06-2023, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Almost no one pays college sticker prices. Colleges are getting real about tution. LevelUP 0 359 10-06-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Colleges that Accept Validential adrian052 10 1,098 09-26-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77