Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone break down for me what SHRM and HRCI are? (Human Resource Management)
A coworker of mine, pursuing a BSBA - HRM was told that he needed a certificate from HRCI in order to complete the degree.

I've heard of the SHRM and all the stuff they handle, but I just googled HRCI (which I've never heard of) and found the following:

Our HR Certifications

and

http://www.shrm.org/publications/hrnews/...ionPath=p4

I'm more worried about my friend possibly being strung around by his school (granted, HRCI sounds legit, and they seem to actually carry what the SHRM has, but at the same time the latter article is saying they've had their own split or whatnot).

So what am I missing here, and is it normal for a school to request that you complete a certificate? I'll check with him if he's supposed to get a certificate with his degree plan (which makes sense), but if he has to get it for himself, I don't believe the USAF will pay for it any longer unless it was tied to his career field (which is also possible).
SHRM is what I see in healthcare, never heard of the other. Every time I see it I think of the Roman Legions, then Compare that to the HR person.....then I giggle a little and forget about it. ��
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
They are just different certifications. SHRM gives their SHRM Certification, HCRI gives the PHR/SPHR. They are both legit, and a lot of Bachelor's Degree HR programs will focus on one or the other and give you all of the info necessary to pass the certification after or in conjunction with getting your degree. I haven't heard that you HAVE to get the cert, but many programs have it as part of their program, meaning that the cost of the degree includes all of the prep and sometimes even the cost of the exam (about $400). Even if you had to pay for it yourself, it's pretty valuable, and I don't know why you would NOT get the cert if you've passed all the courses and have the info to pass the cert.

In CA, you can get a PHR/SPHR-CA cert, meaning that it focuses on the CA state laws as well as the federal laws.

Some employers want a degree in HR, some want a specific cert, some with take a combination, some don't specify which cert you have.

There are other certifications out there as well, I was in Compensation Management, so I was required to get a CCP (Certified Compensation Professional) but not have any other cert. There are ones for 401(k) plan administration, Stock Plan administration, and other areas.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I've seen PHR and SPHR mentioned in a lot of HR job openings.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UFO hearings in congress. UFO whistleblower: 'Non-human' biologics discovered LevelUP 7 853 10-09-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Human Capital Alpha 0 447 06-04-2022, 06:04 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Project Management book bundle rachel83az 2 651 01-22-2022, 05:16 PM
  Help: Master of Science in Engineering Management DanielDaCosta87 3 1,070 08-15-2021, 03:06 PM
Last Post: DanielDaCosta87
  Global warming, human-caused climate change! bjcheung77 12 1,680 07-21-2021, 09:27 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  [Google Play] "Human" Documentary Movie FREE *Rental* bjcheung77 0 673 07-19-2021, 07:47 PM
  Project Management MBA books rachel83az 1 788 01-13-2021, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Flelm
  Free Project Management online resources MNomadic 1 952 04-08-2020, 11:46 AM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Best Way To Get Into Project Management Regards 9 2,753 02-10-2018, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Thorne
  I sure hope TESU advising is having a good break, because they are going to freak... eriehiker 15 3,594 01-11-2018, 08:47 PM
Last Post: jamshid666