Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you get an Officers Commision
jramus Wrote:I have been enlisted now for 5 years. Every single package for OCS, Academy, LDO, STA21, and a few of the other special ones for like PA, have ALL gotten picked up. Seems like a lot of people run around "saying" they will put in a package, but most do not. The package itself is a lot of work, but seems like its a slam dunk if you actually just do it.

I would say about half the designations for naval officer doesn't matter what your degree is in. Just don't pick the one that says SWO. haha

Not trying to start a debate hear, but I have a fellow enlisted (army) who has a Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering he has put his packet in twice, it never went any further for him then that. He is now leaving the army for another job he got offered, which will make him 100k+ a year. So he's not upset about it. Just thought I should point this out since some times things don't work out and these things can be beyond your control.

My advice to the OP, do your best, leave nothing on the table and if for some reason it doesn't work out you will know it is not your fault. Good luck.
I know an Army NCO with three advanced degrees (J.D.), but he is NOT a leader. Education is NOT leadership. The Army does not care about 85-90% of the Army Officer branches in what their degree is in is. The degree is just a baseline ticket. You must preform after that. Maybe 10-15% of Army officers need a real specialty degree. These are the small specialty branches (JAG, Medical, etc.).
johnjaxs Wrote:Not trying to start a debate hear, but I have a fellow enlisted (army) who has a Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering he has put his packet in twice, it never went any further for him then that. He is now leaving the army for another job he got offered, which will make him 100k+ a year. So he's not upset about it. Just thought I should point this out since some times things don't work out and these things can be beyond your control.

My advice to the OP, do your best, leave nothing on the table and if for some reason it doesn't work out you will know it is not your fault. Good luck.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Life Long Learning Wrote:I know an Army NCO with three advanced degrees (J.D.), but he is NOT a leader. Education is NOT leadership. The Army does not care about 85-90% of the Army Officer branches in what their degree is in is. The degree is just a baseline ticket. You must preform after that. Maybe 10-15% of Army officers need a real specialty degree. These are the small specialty branches (JAG, Medical, etc.).

I completely understand that, but after talking/knowing many new Lts, I would like to point that most brand new Lts from ROTC or O9S (most who would still be considered kids, by most elders in any other situation) that get accepted into army have no real leadership experience up until that point. And even then I would point out how much hand holding the new Lts & even 1LTs get from their Platoon Sgt. Compare the fellow enlisted member I was talking about to my new Lt, and the enlisted member is light years ahead of him on leadership potential. Even their civilian life (pre army) would speak volumes in the enlisted members favor.

Anyway I just wanted to point out to the OP not to beat his self up if things don't work out, but to give it his all. My point was to also counter what jramus said about all packets being picked up, something I know not to be true, not just from that source, but multiple sources. Also I never said the type of degree mattered I just pointed out my fellow soldiers degree to stress my point. Read my original post (page 1) and you can see I also wrote it doesn't matter what type of degree the OP has or will have.
I know a few people who haven't been picked up, one made a mistake of letting his captain write his letter of recommendation. Always get the highest one in your chain willing to write about you XD.
CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology- COMPLETE
TESC AS - General Managment-COMPLETE
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems-COMPLETE
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE
Well Army is harder to get picked up or the guy with the masters had something off. I know one of our guys for OCS (who did still make it) was told since just one of his 3 PT scores was an excellent instead of outstanding, he was going to have a hard time. So sometimes one small thing may get you passed up.

How was someone able to finish a JD while enlisted?!?!
Many thanks for the help! The question was to help my son as he is graduating in Dec from Excelsior with a BS LA. In fact we are both graduating at the same time with the same degree! I jumped in with him to make sure he finished! I am a retired CW03 but still young enough to beat out the young one in GPA!
OS4185 :patriot:
Bachelors in Science Liberal Arts, Excelsior College
UExcel College Composition Passed B
DSST History Civil War Passed 462
DSST History Vietnam Passed 450
DSST Business Ethics Passed 442
DSST Ethics in America Passed 450
DSST Principles of Physical Science Passed 460
DSST Principles of Finance Passed 440
Excel World Conflicts Since 1900 Passed A
CLEP Natural Science Passed (Taken 1982)
CLEP Calculus Passed (Taken 1982)
CLEP Spanish Passed (Taken 1990)
US Navy Transfer Credits 116 (Nuclear Engineering, Radiation Protection, Mechanical Engineering, and Power Plant)
Union College
EU History 302 Passed B
Calculus 1 301 Passed B
Calculus 2 302 Passed B
Differential Equations Passed C
New School for Social research
Writing Workshop 310 Passed B
Organization Behavior Passed B
Operations Management Passed B
Computer Science Passed B
Statistics 101 Passed B
Excelsior Liberal Arts Capstone Course Passed 98.0 = A
os4185 Wrote:Many thanks for the help! The question was to help my son as he is graduating in Dec from Excelsior with a BS LA. In fact we are both graduating at the same time with the same degree! I jumped in with him to make sure he finished! I am a retired CW03 but still young enough to beat out the young one in GPA!

Congratulations to both of you!

I am 100% certain that if I went head-to-head with either of my kids (when they're old enough) in any degree program, I would win the GPA war. They are both smart, but not as hard-working as I would be under any circumstances. My son might beat me in the math classes if there was calculus involved, but I would work WAY harder than him in every other course. WAY harder. The difference between a 45-yo and 18-yo.

When I was working full-time and taking a full load in community college in my mid-20's, the 18-yo's that worked part-time (if that) complained constantly about how much homework there was, what a meanie the teacher was to assign such a long paper, how much time the labs took, etc. Constant whining...I thought going to school was a breeze compared to working!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Army Guard Officers tsimmns 2 1,308 12-31-2015, 10:51 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning