Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you help solve this mystery?
(10-27-2017, 09:33 AM)aviator guy Wrote: I'm not trying to sound callous, but none of those are the OP's problem.  Even if there was some sort of extenuating circumstance, a bit of communication would have likely gone a long way.  Furthermore, the OP paid (in excess of $1,000 mind you) for a guided study course with professor/"mentor" interaction.  It would seem to me that there should be some sort of contingency plan in place for unforseen circumstances that would prohibit the professor/mentor from doing their job.

I do know that the liberal arts capstone (I don't know if that's what the OP is taking) is somewhat cumulative and assignment feedback is critical to the final product and ultimately the final grade.

To put it another way, if you paid someone over $1,000 upfront to work on your house and they didn't finish the job and went incommunicado for over a month, you'd probably be calling lawyers.  Of course you shouldn't pay someone 100% upfront but that's a different story.

I am compelled to agree. I more than understand rotten circumstances, but the student shouldn't suffer. When my mentor went MIA because of Harvey (lost power and laptop fried), I was assigned an interim mentor two days later. Was it ideal? Of course not, but they did what they were able to.

I had a professor at my CC with Parkinson's who died in the middle of the course. The school notified all affected students the day after it happened got a professor involved with the course within a few days. We missed one class period, but they did their best.

If a state university and its professors can't operate with near-equal efficiency to a community college, something is wrong with them.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
TESU's terms are 12 weeks long. One month is a whole third of the term.

It's a guided study course, making it even more absurd. That reason you do the GS is so the mentor is there to hold your hand through it.

You should contact student services and find out what happened to your mentor and what the next steps are.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • High_Order1
This is weird because I have been on the August guided study (just finished last week) with Dr Maugh and every assignment was graded within 5 days and feedback given.
The final capstone was graded within 5 days too, I got nice feedback and also a nice note at the end.
TESU: Capstone completed Big Grin
Study.com: Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction (6)
Patten: Academic Strategies, Child Growth and Development, Reading, Writing, and Research, Social Psych, Lifespan Development, American Government (18)
Shmoop: Drugs in Lit, Holocaust Lit, Poetry, Lit in the Media, Modernist Lit, Shakespeare's Plays, Western Lit, Women's Lit, British Lit, Euro History (30)
SL: Cultural Anthropology, English Comp I, English Comp II, Biology, Intro Comm, Environmental Science, Philosophy, C++,  Religion (27)
TEEX: Cyber Security for Business Professionals, Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for IT Professionals (6)
Sophia: Art History, Psychology, Sociology, Visual Comm, Dev Teams  (13)
ALEKS: Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics, Trigonometry (15)
NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators (2)
Kaplan: Documenting Experiences (3)
ACTFL: Reading Proficiency Test (6)
CPCU: Ethics (2)
If I didn't hear back from my "mentor" after a couple of weeks, I would contact the school. That is too long to go without any communication at all. You can certainly be nice about it, just as you were in explaining it here to us.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA