Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Central New Mexico Flex Program AAS Discontinued
I went ahead and applied, so I could get a better understanding of how credits came in and the program itself. I applied for Fall 2022 to give myself enough time to decide if I wanted to pursue the program. A few days ago I noticed that the Flex Path program was no longer on the website, but they had some wording about changing tuition for online degrees, so I thought they were just updating that section. They e-mailed me on 04/27, and I missed it, but here is what it says: 

Quote:Hello Flex Applicants,

Please take note of the following changes CNM is making to the Flex program and your Fall 2022 application.

It is important to read this e-mail in its entirety!

Thank you for applying for the Fall 2022 term! Unfortunately, at this time, CNM will no longer be offering the CNM Flex program. Our last open term to enroll in the program will be Summer 2022. 

According to our records, you have completed a Fall 2022 Flex application expressing interested in completing your studies online using the Flex pathway. The Flex pathway is structured around two 7-week blocks of courses per semester and utilizes a unique style of online learning at CNM. Starting in the Fall 2022 term, Flex will no longer be available to students as an option to complete their Business Administration AAS degree’s online. This degree will only be available to students utilizing either a traditional pathway or the Online College “guided” pathway.

If you wish to remain a Flex student and would like to pursue your degree using the Flex pathway, you will be permitted to enter into the program for the 2nd block of Summer courses.

Ø  Summer Block 2 courses will run from: Monday, June 20th – Sunday, August 7th

If you would like to still continue on the Flex pathway to getting your BA AAS degree (beginning on June 20th) please reply back to this e-mail confirming this option.

If you are no longer interested in pursuing your Business Administration AAS degree using the Flex pathway, or would like to pursue your degree as a regular/Online College CNM student, please reply back to this email requesting an amendment to your application.

By confirming this request, you are not required to reapply to CNM and you will receive a new admissions email with your student information confirming changes made to your student profile.

Sincerely,
CNM Flex Team  
CNM-FLEX: School of Business and Information Technology
Central New Mexico Community College 
So, I guess that degree is out as an option. I'll go ahead and take it off the wiki. From the wording, I think I would have to finish in that one term. I'll follow up and ask them if once enrolled in the program, can you finish out in the Flex program even if it took another 7-week block, or is Fall 2022 when they shut the whole thing down. It's looking like the latter, but I'll get a definitive answer. 

The program was announced in 2017, so I wonder why they are shutting it down? Lack of enrollment maybe? My pet conspiracy theory: Capella sent them a cease-and-desist. Who knows. Anyway, I don't have the time or the stamina to finish 18 courses in 7 weeks, so I don't think I'll be partaking this summer. It's a bummer. I was excited about this one. Seemed like a smoother, faster system than waiting on e-mails at TAMUC. Oh well. I'm going to finish up at COSC this fall and we'll see where I go from there. I just need something that says I have a business education besides my years in management. TAMUC does that just as well as CNM.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 2 users Like Tedium's post:
  • jch, Vle045
Oh wow. That’s a bummer. I wonder if their enrollment was too low. I’m sure we could have helped with that. LOL
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
@Tedium, yeah. I would just take it step by step. There really isn't a need for you to get this CNM AAS Business since you have a Pierpont AAS anyways, I would go for the TAMUC BAAS after your COSC degree though, that's the most bang for the buck degree for people in Texas!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Yeah, I didn't need it. Would have been a cheap way to up my GPA, get a business credential, and I'm always on the lookout for programs that my wife can take easily and cheaply after she finishes at Penn Foster if she wants. CBE is good for her because of her schedule. She's really knocking Penn Foster out of the park, and I keep looking at RA programs that she might like in case the need arises.

I keep saying I don't need/want my Master's after I graduate, but I keep trying to set myself up for that eventuality if I change my mind in the future, which is very likely. LOL

That's still a ways away, though. I'm going to continue to focus on writing my Capstone paper, and plugging away at ONU's History 379. I decided to do ONU instead of an exam for scheduling reasons. Don't have to worry about scheduling a proctor or worry about janky live proctors, can pay at the end of the course, and it's actually a History course, so I think it will help with my Concentration at COSC. I'm really finding that I enjoy the course and ONU's format. I highly suggest them for anyone that's curious.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tedium's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
They finally responded to my last e-mail. I'm just leaving this here in case anyone wants to start this Summer. I'm not even sure you can apply for Flex anymore. Didn't REALLY answer my questions, but it looks like you might be able to finish out your degree with Flex.

Quote:Tedium,

Thank you for your email.

The flex pathway allows students to complete courses 100% online utilizing competency based education. You will basically earn college credits by completing learning modules or “competencies” assigned to you based on the classes you registered for. Students registered for flex courses will have a 7-week period to login and complete assigned course competencies.

Students who are in their first attempt in a new class are required to complete a minimum of 50% of assigned course competencies in order for them to receive a 2nd final attempt to finish what they started. Flex courses are guaranteed every 7-week block and you will have the opportunity to earn a BA AAS degree using the Flex pathway beyond fall term. Additional information about flex will be covered in your Flex policies and expectations form your Flex Online Orientation as well as in the required Flex Onboarding Session.

As far as the reason why Flex is no longer being offered, we are making room for new and exciting programs at CNM. Perhaps we may offer a version of flex in the future, but for now we are going to be re-evaluating the flex approach for online students before we can make it available again.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
Well that's clear as mud. LOL
This is a bigger discussion point than this thread, but it seems that self-paced/CBE is fantastic for motivated people who want to move quickly toward a degree, but clearly a lot of people don’t fit that. This is anecdotal and I haven’t been able to find any number behind it BUT… I have a relative who used to work in IT for a community college in Kentucky when they rolled out their self paced learning format (called Learn on Demand). His understanding was they viewed the whole thing as a failure. They had a handful of students who finished courses/degrees “too quickly” and more incompletes/failures than was typical in their system, so they discontinued the format. Again, that’s a former IT guy’s perspective on one college, BUT…I would love to know if that is a pattern that is duplicated elsewhere. A lot of people need structure and self-paces/CBE provides very little of that.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeloader's post:
  • Vle045
(05-10-2022, 12:57 PM)freeloader Wrote: This is a bigger discussion point than this thread, but it seems that self-paced/CBE is fantastic for motivated people who want to  move quickly toward a degree, but clearly a lot of people don’t fit that. This is anecdotal and I haven’t been able to find any number behind it BUT… I have a relative who used to work in IT for a community college in Kentucky when they rolled out their self paced learning format (called Learn on Demand).  His understanding was they viewed the whole thing as a failure. They had a handful of students who finished courses/degrees “too quickly” and more incompletes/failures than was typical in their system, so they discontinued the format. Again, that’s a former IT guy’s perspective on one college, BUT…I would love to know if that is a pattern that is duplicated elsewhere. A lot of people need structure and self-paces/CBE provides very little of that.

That is an interesting viewpoint.  I can only speak of my own experience and say that I agree.  I know I need some structure.   I currently have Coursera Plus and Sophia.  Cost me a few hundred total.  I get through some stuff…. Then I don’t touch it for a while.  Then I think… oh crap… I could have gotten a lot more done if I stuck to it better.  I will plan to do better the next day, but I have a load of laundry waiting for me and the next episode of The Flash or The Rookie is on.  Can’t miss my shows.  LOL.    I tried the free term at Walden.  I got all the non credit courses done.  Then procrastinated on my first paper.  Got that done.  Made progress on the second one.  Then the term ended and I hadn’t completely finished a single course.  For me, I probably need a true at your own pace, but at a flat rate per credit, not based on how long it would take me. (So my procrastination won’t cost me $$$).   But I think that only exists at ENEB or California Coast University… but that has different issues.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(05-10-2022, 12:57 PM)freeloader Wrote: This is a bigger discussion point than this thread, but it seems that self-paced/CBE is fantastic for motivated people who want to  move quickly toward a degree, but clearly a lot of people don’t fit that. This is anecdotal and I haven’t been able to find any number behind it BUT… I have a relative who used to work in IT for a community college in Kentucky when they rolled out their self paced learning format (called Learn on Demand).  His understanding was they viewed the whole thing as a failure. They had a handful of students who finished courses/degrees “too quickly” and more incompletes/failures than was typical in their system, so they discontinued the format. Again, that’s a former IT guy’s perspective on one college, BUT…I would love to know if that is a pattern that is duplicated elsewhere. A lot of people need structure and self-paces/CBE provides very little of that.

WGU is completely based on the CBE approach. They have been at this for decades. It's not a system where results happen quickly and students need support which many CBE programs lack. WGU has over 100,000 enrolled students so they have it figured out. It is not a method for everyone. It takes discipline and motivation. 

What are the graduation rates at that community college in Kentucky? CC grad rates are extremely low in general. KY is one of those states that tends to rank in the bottom half of the nation.
I also think part of the reason why (more) students drop out of CBE programs is misplaced expectations. They think it'll be easier than traditional courses. They've been told it's a walk in the park to study online, because that's what too much of society thinks. Then they sign up and find out the classes are REAL and they have to do ACTUAL WORK. Disillusionment. So they wind up dropping out.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 4 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, jsd, MrPanda, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TAMUC Competency Based Program List bjcheung77 86 12,853 04-07-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Bsnipedavis
Smile Jacksonville State U. JSU Try It program. New course for Fall 2024. Completely Free sixdegreesandamovie 3 296 04-01-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 392 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,955 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  CPEM: Centro de Posgrados del Estado de México Avidreader 8 709 10-19-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Former UW-Parkside Flex CBE Instructor Gave A's for Little or No Work: Newspaper Jonathan Whatley 7 700 09-26-2023, 09:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UoPeople Certificate program transfer courses? MNomadic 5 1,634 12-13-2022, 10:44 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  UMGC or SNHU Computer Science program. coryjunior19 8 4,467 09-24-2022, 02:16 PM
Last Post: tuckerarabi786
  Thank you DegreeForum! - I finished my BSIT program at Purdue Global! ClockworkHammer 12 1,279 08-25-2022, 01:00 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Weber State University - CS Flex program karehiro 5 1,370 05-18-2022, 11:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77