Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Central New Mexico Flex Program AAS Discontinued
(05-10-2022, 01:33 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I also think part of the reason why (more) students drop out of CBE programs is misplaced expectations. They think it'll be easier than traditional courses. They've been told it's a walk in the park to study online, because that's what too much of society thinks. Then they sign up and find out the classes are REAL and they have to do ACTUAL WORK. Disillusionment. So they wind up dropping out.

I've had conversations with many people who have NEVER taken an online course. Every single one of them has this crazy idea that the classes are easy and someone like a kindergartener could do them. It's obvious they've never taken an online course. At CSU Global I had to write 6 papers in 7 weeks. At Charleston Southern, I had a paper or exam every week for 8 weeks. At Amberton, I have a paper, exam, or lengthy discussion due. Some classes have a discussion and paper every week. And these aren't 3-4 page papers. I've written 3 papers in the last 4 days and the shortest one was 8 pages. Today I'm taking an exam and I have to read 5 chapters. Please let me know when this becomes easy! This is nothing like the remote learning public school kids did the last few years either. These are programs which were designed for online learning. You have to be disciplined and motivated to stay on schedule or you'll fail. And you have to do ACTUAL WORK like rachel said.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • jch, MrPanda, rachel83az
(05-10-2022, 01:45 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-10-2022, 01:33 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I also think part of the reason why (more) students drop out of CBE programs is misplaced expectations. They think it'll be easier than traditional courses. They've been told it's a walk in the park to study online, because that's what too much of society thinks. Then they sign up and find out the classes are REAL and they have to do ACTUAL WORK. Disillusionment. So they wind up dropping out.

I've had conversations with many people who have NEVER taken an online course. Every single one of them has this crazy idea that the classes are easy and someone like a kindergartener could do them. It's obvious they've never taken an online course. At CSU Global I had to write 6 papers in 7 weeks. At Charleston Southern, I had a paper or exam every week for 8 weeks. At Amberton, I have a paper, exam, or lengthy discussion due. Some classes have a discussion and paper every week. And these aren't 3-4 page papers. I've written 3 papers in the last 4 days and the shortest one was 8 pages. Today I'm taking an exam and I have to read 5 chapters. Please let me know when this becomes easy! This is nothing like the remote learning public school kids did the last few years either. These are programs which were designed for online learning. You have to be disciplined and motivated to stay on schedule or you'll fail. And you have to do ACTUAL WORK like rachel said.

My daughter has only done online college courses, first due to Covid and then just choosing to do it.  She gets up and does schoolwork EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.  Without fail.  It's a ton of work.  She isn't complaining, I know she prefers to do school in her jammies in bed, but she is very dedicated and plans out her semesters, and schedules daily time to get things done.  The only time she doesn't do school is when she has a vacation, and then she doubles up on the work ahead of time.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, Vle045
(05-01-2022, 02:56 AM)Tedium Wrote: I went ahead and applied, so I could get a better understanding of how credits came in and the program itself. I applied for Fall 2022 to give myself enough time to decide if I wanted to pursue the program. A few days ago I noticed that the Flex Path program was no longer on the website, but they had some wording about changing tuition for online degrees, so I thought they were just updating that section. They e-mailed me on 04/27, and I missed it, but here is what it says: 

Quote:Hello Flex Applicants,

Please take note of the following changes CNM is making to the Flex program and your Fall 2022 application.

It is important to read this e-mail in its entirety!

Thank you for applying for the Fall 2022 term! Unfortunately, at this time, CNM will no longer be offering the CNM Flex program. Our last open term to enroll in the program will be Summer 2022. 

According to our records, you have completed a Fall 2022 Flex application expressing interested in completing your studies online using the Flex pathway. The Flex pathway is structured around two 7-week blocks of courses per semester and utilizes a unique style of online learning at CNM. Starting in the Fall 2022 term, Flex will no longer be available to students as an option to complete their Business Administration AAS degree’s online. This degree will only be available to students utilizing either a traditional pathway or the Online College “guided” pathway.

If you wish to remain a Flex student and would like to pursue your degree using the Flex pathway, you will be permitted to enter into the program for the 2nd block of Summer courses.

Ø  Summer Block 2 courses will run from: Monday, June 20th – Sunday, August 7th

If you would like to still continue on the Flex pathway to getting your BA AAS degree (beginning on June 20th) please reply back to this e-mail confirming this option.

If you are no longer interested in pursuing your Business Administration AAS degree using the Flex pathway, or would like to pursue your degree as a regular/Online College CNM student, please reply back to this email requesting an amendment to your application.

By confirming this request, you are not required to reapply to CNM and you will receive a new admissions email with your student information confirming changes made to your student profile.

Sincerely,
CNM Flex Team  
CNM-FLEX: School of Business and Information Technology
Central New Mexico Community College 
So, I guess that degree is out as an option. I'll go ahead and take it off the wiki. From the wording, I think I would have to finish in that one term. I'll follow up and ask them if once enrolled in the program, can you finish out in the Flex program even if it took another 7-week block, or is Fall 2022 when they shut the whole thing down. It's looking like the latter, but I'll get a definitive answer. 

The program was announced in 2017, so I wonder why they are shutting it down? Lack of enrollment maybe? My pet conspiracy theory: Capella sent them a cease-and-desist. Who knows. Anyway, I don't have the time or the stamina to finish 18 courses in 7 weeks, so I don't think I'll be partaking this summer. It's a bummer. I was excited about this one. Seemed like a smoother, faster system than waiting on e-mails at TAMUC. Oh well. I'm going to finish up at COSC this fall and we'll see where I go from there. I just need something that says I have a business education besides my years in management. TAMUC does that just as well as CNM.

I am honestly not surprised.  If you go online and search for the meeting The Governing Board of Central New Mexico Community College (CNM) held on 4/12/2022, there is a portion of the meeting discussing raising the tuition for the Flex Program from $715 to $756 per 7 weeks.  There are two 7 week portions each semester. The program itself is supposed to be 15 months, but it is self paced. I am sure there are many people who can do the classes pretty quickly and even get through the program quicker.  The State of New Mexico recently made it possible to get a certificate, Associate's and Bachelor's degree for free.  My guess is that CNM is wanting to have students do the guided online classes or in person classes and not the competency based track because they will get more money from the state.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TAMUC Competency Based Program List bjcheung77 86 12,819 04-07-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Bsnipedavis
Smile Jacksonville State U. JSU Try It program. New course for Fall 2024. Completely Free sixdegreesandamovie 3 291 04-01-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 378 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,941 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  CPEM: Centro de Posgrados del Estado de México Avidreader 8 708 10-19-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Former UW-Parkside Flex CBE Instructor Gave A's for Little or No Work: Newspaper Jonathan Whatley 7 700 09-26-2023, 09:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UoPeople Certificate program transfer courses? MNomadic 5 1,633 12-13-2022, 10:44 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  UMGC or SNHU Computer Science program. coryjunior19 8 4,460 09-24-2022, 02:16 PM
Last Post: tuckerarabi786
  Thank you DegreeForum! - I finished my BSIT program at Purdue Global! ClockworkHammer 12 1,277 08-25-2022, 01:00 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Weber State University - CS Flex program karehiro 5 1,366 05-18-2022, 11:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77