Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Certificate vs Certification
I've been trying to network with people in the tech industry, but it seems like most don't know the difference between a certificate and certification, and it's driving me crazy. No, a LinkedIn Learning certificate of completion is not a certification that certifies that you know anything. No, the undergraduate certificate in Cisco networking at your community college is not a Cisco certification.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 6 users Like sanantone's post:
  • dewisant, jsd, MNomadic, ROYISAGIRL, ss20ts, TINASAM
(08-07-2022, 02:55 PM)sanantone Wrote: I've been trying to network with people in the tech industry, but it seems like most don't know the difference between a certificate and certification, and it's driving me crazy. No, a LinkedIn Learning certificate of completion is not a certification that certifies that you know anything. No, the undergraduate certificate in Cisco networking at your community college is not a Cisco certification.

I find this odd.  My husband has worked in IT for 25 years, and certifications are a way of life.  Everyone is always studying for the next cert. Companies are looking for people certified in certain things to maintain status to be able to sell products (like, you have to have x number of people with an XYZ cert in order to be a preferred provider of XYZ software).  Every job requires certifications in something or another.

My husband has been asked to get a specific cert many times over the years just for his company to maintain their status.  He's not expected to go to school, he's expected to go study for a cert, pass the exam, and tell his boss so they can have the right number of people with it.  They all keep a database of who has what and how many people they have with certs so that if/when someone gives their notice, and they may go below the count, they immediately task someone with getting whatever cert that person is taking away.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 4 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • dewisant, Ideas, origamishuttle, Pikachu
Yes, some people get a little bit confused as to what you're asking them sometimes. When you ask if they have any IT certificates or certifications, they may just be thinking too quickly and thought you meant one thing when you meant another. Interpretation may be different for people, someone beside you may understand exactly, the person across from you may think differently.

I'm usually direct in asking someone if they have any certificates from a college or any vendor specific certifications, so they would understand which I am referencing. I usually get the "correct" feedback, especially when I ask them if they have ABC Certification instead of asking if they have a certificate in ABC. I'm not that great in getting my points across so I like to ask more...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
Certifications are usually required to work in specific industries. Certificates are usually for general use and more abundant in the education marketplace.

A certificate can be a certificate of completion (you completed the course) or certificate of attendance (you attended a seminar). Certificate of completion may be worth more, but it still depends on other variables. In general, university certificates have more value than other types of certificates.

A certification certifies one to do something. There are industries (e.g. IT, TESOL) that require professionals to have these certifications for their jobs. All certifications are either in the form of a digital badge and/or certificate.
Completed:

Master's Degree, Coaching & Emotional Intelligence, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Business Administration, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Management, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Corporate Communication, Universidad Isabel 1
Professional Certificate, IT Support, Google
Professional Certificate, Cybersecurity Analyst, IBM
Bachelor's Degree, Liberal Studies (Management Minor), University of Maine @ Presque Isle
Honors Certificate, Business Writing, University of Colorado
Certificate, Inclusive Leadership, University of Colorado
Master Herbalist Certification, Academy of Natural Health Sciences

[-] The following 1 user Likes Kal Di's post:
  • Pikachu
They both mean the same thing. They're used interchangeably.
(08-16-2022, 10:45 PM)ifomonay Wrote: They both mean the same thing. They're used interchangeably.

Not at all.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • allvia, CatsDomino, FastTrackDegree
Yes, that's annoying.

Similarly, some people will devalue university certificates (especially undergraduate level certificates), thinking that they were just MOOCs.

I have a bunch of Saylor Academy Certificates. I don’t think that makes me certified in anything at all. But it sure does show that I completed a course…… and that is all.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(08-09-2022, 10:03 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, some people get a little bit confused as to what you're asking them sometimes.  When you ask if they have any IT certificates or certifications, they may just be thinking too quickly and thought you meant one thing when you meant another.  Interpretation may be different for people, someone beside you may understand exactly, the person across from you may think differently.

I'm usually direct in asking someone if they have any certificates from a college or any vendor specific certifications, so they would understand which I am referencing.  I usually get the "correct" feedback, especially when I ask them if they have ABC Certification instead of asking if they have a certificate in ABC.  I'm not that great in getting my points across so I like to ask more...

I'm not asking them anything. They're asking people which certification they need to get started, and they'll give a list of certifications and certificate programs they're looking at. I usually sit back in horror as people confuse the concepts of certificates and certifications. At this point, I don't have the energy to explain the differences every other day, so I just let them be wrong.

(08-16-2022, 10:45 PM)ifomonay Wrote: They both mean the same thing. They're used interchangeably.

Exhibit A
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • allvia, jsd

I think you made her point.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paralegal certificate lumina 3 843 02-04-2023, 03:45 AM
Last Post: xianbd
  Does Any one have PUG - AWS certificate screenshots from the last month NewatTESU 30 2,798 11-08-2021, 04:14 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  $19 Certificate burbuja0512 28 6,602 09-22-2020, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Lacedonia4
  Google IT Support Professional Certificate: Possibly Free eriehiker 1 1,709 02-22-2018, 10:40 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Medical Assistant Training and Credits for Certification sanantone 1 1,124 01-12-2018, 01:12 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Base SAS Certification NAP 9 2,577 11-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Last Post: NAP
  For those that haven't seen the FEMA PDS certificate brothert69 12 5,059 06-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Last Post: alleycat
  AMC Airlift Load Plan Certification DCW 1 808 04-12-2011, 02:17 AM
Last Post: CLEP101