Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$19 Certificate
So I just decided to do a TESOL certificate, which is really something that teachers of foreign languages use, but there are many reasons I wanted it.

Could be useful for those who:
-May want to travel to another country and teach
-Are interested in teaching or training 
-Are rampant certificate collectors (Yes, I know you are here!)
-Want to learn more about linguistics and a bunch of really nerdy grammar terms that will impress your friends.
-Will be working with those who speak English as a foreign language and want to better communicate with them.
..and more!

Anyhow, the certificate shows 120 hours, but it took me the better part of the afternoon.   Also, I have been involved lately in a bunch of forums with ESL teachers and have found out that this is valid.   MANY teachers who spent over a thousand on their certificate are less than thrilled... to say the least.

Enjoy!

https://www.groupon.com/deals/internatio...cademy-787
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 4 users Like burbuja0512's post:
  • cookderosa, dewisant, graduatesoon, leland.kirk
Great find! Is there much of a difference between TESOL and TEFL that you know of?
TEFL refers to teaching English as a foreign language: programs in countries where English is not the primary language and is not a lingua franca. TESOL, which stands for teaching English to speakers of other languages, is a general name for the field of teaching that includes both TESL and TEFL.

TESOL and TEFL are pretty much the same - Interesting info below.
Review: http://www.eslinsider.com/blog/internati...rse-review
Comments: https://www.reddit.com/r/TEFL/comments/4...ely_cheap/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 3 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • burbuja0512, dewisant, leland.kirk
Found another Reddit post that implies the accrediting organizations for several TEFL/TESOL providers (including this one) are made up by the providers themselves. I don't know that there's an accreditation standard for these or anything, so I highly doubt it'd ever come into question, I just thought it was interesting:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TEFL/comments/7ayjzm/tefl_courses_w_fake_accreditation_a_list/
Yeah, unfortunately I think they own or have a big part in the "accrediting organization". You can kind of tell which "accreditors" are not working with multiple places, etc.

I'm pretty sure there isn't an accreditation standard because teachers with thousand dollar + certificates are working side by side with others who paid next to nothing.

In many cases, the employer could care less because they just want a native speaker with some sort of credential. And you definitely don't need advanced linguistics to teach the basics. So with this certificate, both employer and teacher are happy.

But I thought it was fun.. Some of it was very simple, but I loved the grammar nerd stuff.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • dewisant
My daughter did the same Groupon and used it for a summer online teaching position that once submitted gave her a bump in pay from $19 to $22. She was also able to knock it out in a full day of effort. That's a pretty awesome return on a $19 investment.

And, yes, I knocked it out to because, well, cheap certificates are fun to collect Wink
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
[-] The following 3 users Like RANSOMSOUL's post:
  • burbuja0512, cookderosa, dewisant
I should also add that on the same forum where I found this Groupon, I have learned quite a bit about teaching English as a foreign language. There are many, many people there that have masters in TESOL and other certificates that cost thousands. Overall, the demand for native speakers in other countries is so high that it seems like a poor choice of degree if your goal is to work either online with a foreign English school or physically in another country. They just want a native and your certificate is the icing on the cake.

This comment of course does not apply to university teachers, or people who want to teach ESL right here in the United States in-person. But over the past week, I've talked to quite a few people who are deeply in debt for their masters in TESOL and have the same $20 an hour job that someone with no bachelor's, but a $19 Groupon has. That's what I love about this group - we work together and help each other get SMART credits. Know what you're getting into before you pay the price, and then pay a LOW price whenever possible!
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
[-] The following 3 users Like burbuja0512's post:
  • dewisant, leland.kirk, mudball
(03-04-2018, 04:23 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: TEFL refers to teaching English as a foreign language: programs in countries where English is not the primary language and is not a lingua franca. TESOL, which stands for teaching English to speakers of other languages, is a general name for the field of teaching that includes both TESL and TEFL.

TESOL and TEFL are pretty much the same - Interesting info below.  
Review: http://www.eslinsider.com/blog/internati...rse-review
Comments: https://www.reddit.com/r/TEFL/comments/4...ely_cheap/

Interesting, and damning. I wouldn't waste even the $19 on it. You're not going to learn how to teach ESL with that. Plus, their accreditors are fake.

If a person in the U.S. wants a TESOL cert that is legitimately accredited by a USDOE recognized accreditor and is actually done properly, go with Bridge. They are ACCET accredited and they have agreements with several RA Universities. There are also colleges and univerisities online that have TESOL certificate programs so that's another route. It won't be cheap but it will be real and you'll actually learn something which is the point because you are dealing with people's lives/futures when you teach and you should actually know what you're doing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eLearner's post:
  • rachel83az
I got that IoA certificate when it was $5 or $7 (I forget) on Groupon. It's not even worth that. The course is terrible, the quiz is terrible, I learned nothing new. A MUCH better (though more expensive) option is i-to-i.com It's often on sale, so it's not a horrible price.

I'm currently working my way through the 300-hour option (got distracted by finding this place, lol) and I can tell you that I learned more just glancing over the handbooks they give you than I did with the whole IoA course. It's probably not as legit as other places, but it seems legit enough for most purposes. Unlike IoA, you have to write out lesson plans and do coursework in order to get your certificate. Not sure it's worth $800, but I think it's probably worth the current price of $320.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Ideas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paralegal certificate lumina 3 837 02-04-2023, 03:45 AM
Last Post: xianbd
  Certificate vs Certification sanantone 19 1,693 10-20-2022, 12:17 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Does Any one have PUG - AWS certificate screenshots from the last month NewatTESU 30 2,783 11-08-2021, 04:14 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Google IT Support Professional Certificate: Possibly Free eriehiker 1 1,707 02-22-2018, 10:40 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  For those that haven't seen the FEMA PDS certificate brothert69 12 5,048 06-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Last Post: alleycat