Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Charter Oak Science Lab Requirement
My son took 2 sciences (DSST Astronomy & DSST Environmental Science) plus Straighterline Biology Lab, but Charter Oak is not accepting the lab (possibly because he never took the Biology course,just the lab).
(12-21-2018, 06:56 PM)nosey561 Wrote: My son took 2 sciences (DSST Astronomy & DSST Environmental Science) plus Straighterline Biology Lab, but Charter Oak is not accepting the lab (possibly because he never took the Biology course,just the lab).

That's a first - I haven't heard that happen before. I think many people mix and match their sciences. I'd ask them to double check , maybe even escalate.
You might try arguing that you taught him Biology as part of his homeschool requirement but used SL for the lab.

If they hold tight, that's a BIG bummer, especially after ALL the work that the SL bio lab requires. If they make him do the bio class, I'd like to know why. Either way, please post what they say.
(12-21-2018, 10:26 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(12-21-2018, 06:56 PM)nosey561 Wrote: My son took 2 sciences (DSST Astronomy & DSST Environmental Science) plus Straighterline Biology Lab, but Charter Oak is not accepting the lab (possibly because he never took the Biology course,just the lab).

That's a first - I haven't heard that happen before.  I think many people mix and match their sciences.  I'd ask them to double check , maybe even escalate.
You might try arguing that you taught him Biology as part of his homeschool requirement but used SL for the lab.

If they hold tight, that's a BIG bummer, especially after ALL the work that the SL bio lab requires.  If they make him do the bio class, I'd like to know why.  Either way, please post what they say.

Thanks- it may be a while till we resolve this because of the holidays.
I wish I could help on this. My sons both took Nutrition through SL and will be submitting a transcript from Rio for the nutrition lab.

I'd still press for acceptance of the bio lab, even if you have to wait- but COSC is pretty slow about things, might not be a bad idea to at least get an email over to them before they go to break.
I think your best bet if they won't take it is to take Bio - either through Saylor, CLEP, Shmoop (they take Shmoop I think?), SL, Study.com or Ed4Credit. It's cheaper to find a Bio course than a lab that matches up with your courses you took.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-22-2018, 11:34 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I think your best bet if they won't take it is to take Bio - either through Saylor, CLEP, Shmoop (they take Shmoop I think?), SL, Study.com or Ed4Credit.  It's cheaper to find a Bio course than a lab that matches up with your courses you took.

Can't get much cheaper ($9) than the onlinedegree option - Biology- Organisms and Ecosystems (BG101) https://www.onlinedegree.com/free-course...cosystems/
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(12-22-2018, 04:40 PM)allvia Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 11:34 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I think your best bet if they won't take it is to take Bio - either through Saylor, CLEP, Shmoop (they take Shmoop I think?), SL, Study.com or Ed4Credit.  It's cheaper to find a Bio course than a lab that matches up with your courses you took.

Can't get much cheaper ($9) than the onlinedegree option - Biology- Organisms and Ecosystems (BG101) https://www.onlinedegree.com/free-course...cosystems/

Not sure if this applies, but he can't take that class if he's under 18
I, too, am interested in this. We just applied this morning and my son has taken the CLEP Natural Sciences and the Straighterline Biology Lab only.
Interesting, usually I see people taking a science course with the corresponding science lab... I do see people test out using CLEP or AP as well... and then they take the corresponding science lab if they need a lab credit. For OP, your easiest option is to take the corresponding CLEP Bio as you already have the Bio Lab from StraighterLine, email COSC to confirm.

For SuperTal, I would recommend the same, even though the CLEP Natural Sciences covers about 1/2 Biological and 1/2 Physical Science. It would be best to have a corresponding Biology CLEP test/SL lab combo. You may want to wait and see what comes into COSC and email them to confirm before studying/taking the Biology CLEP.

Note: If your school accepts NCCRS, the $9 OD course can't be beaten, it's even cheaper than the ACE course from Saylor.org.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • SuperTal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades Jonathan Whatley 44 5,762 06-28-2022, 01:58 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Charter Oak - Statistics rachel83az 0 969 02-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Charter Oak Application Time Table nilahti2 3 1,638 09-21-2020, 09:16 AM
  Study.com Computer Science 310:Current Trends in Computer Science & IT vanglorious 1 1,048 09-17-2020, 10:04 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Physics Concentration at Charter Oak State College sciencemathematics1 19 3,503 07-20-2020, 01:44 PM
Last Post: conflitz
  Charter Oak Grad Credit for Undergrad? Clepper43 3 1,314 07-17-2020, 01:06 PM
Last Post: cecilgambe7
  Does Charter Oak still accept ALEKS? Gooberman11 1 1,175 07-16-2020, 02:18 PM
  Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 Glen1 18 4,006 07-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Last Post: shaas
  Charter Oaks CyberSecurity indigoshuffle 7 1,752 04-28-2020, 03:35 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Charter Oaks Computer Science Credits Shyjbh 1 1,146 04-24-2020, 05:19 PM
Last Post: natshar