Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheaper degree for bachelors business hospitality
Hi, guys my wife is trying to acquire a cheaper option for a business degree in business either in hospitality,  or just in business. Does anyone have a spreadsheet of what would be cheap for her to do?
Business Hospitality doesn't have any cheap options- the cheapest option is through Columbia Southern University if you accumulate 90 credits DIY style and do the 30 with them in your major / UL however that is only a NA degree. That may not matter if she's never going to pursue teaching, but worth mentioning. My son was working on that degree and I changed him to general business this semester at Charter Oak. Where is she now? Sullivan and UNLV have programs, but this specific degree is hard to get online, so if you want it online AND cheap, that's a big ask.
The cheapest option is probably WGU, then COSC, then TESU, then EC. BUT, that completely depends on if she's starting from scratch (no credits to bring in). If she has credits already, then it may change.

None of them offer hospitality as a degree, but I think you might be able to do a Hospitality Management concentration through COSC's BSBA. Study.com has 2 LL and 2 UL courses in Hospitality, and when you combine those with a few other courses, might be able to cobble something together that they would approve of.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • benon
NOCTI has an NCCRS test worth 6 credits of UL in hospitality management:

http://www.nationalccrs.org/nocti/hospit...ement-food

Not sure how it would be accepted but that would be a pretty good deal for a $150 test. Especially if it doesn't overlap with the SDC classes. It would take some planning/pre-approval with an advisor though I think.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(10-14-2018, 02:54 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The cheapest option is probably WGU, then COSC, then TESU, then EC. BUT, that completely depends on if she's starting from scratch (no credits to bring in). If she has credits already, then it may change.

None of them offer hospitality as a degree, but I think you might be able to do a Hospitality Management concentration through COSC's BSBA. Study.com has 2 LL and 2 UL courses in Hospitality, and when you combine those with a few other courses, might be able to cobble something together that they would approve of.

You can DIY it by bringing in hospitality credit, but there aren't enough UL to have it in there officially.

(10-14-2018, 03:21 PM)MNomadic Wrote: NOCTI has an NCCRS test worth 6 credits of UL in hospitality management:

Not sure how it would be accepted but that would be a pretty good deal for a $150 test. Especially if it doesn't overlap with the SDC classes. It would take some planning/pre-approval with an advisor though I think.

OMG that's a find!!! I've never noticed that one before - thank you! I just spent a few minutes checking out their stuff, I swear I must be missing something obvious, but I can't figure out how to take a test??
(10-14-2018, 04:55 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 02:54 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The cheapest option is probably WGU, then COSC, then TESU, then EC. BUT, that completely depends on if she's starting from scratch (no credits to bring in). If she has credits already, then it may change.

You can DIY it by bringing in hospitality credit, but there aren't enough UL to have it in there officially.

(10-14-2018, 03:21 PM)MNomadic Wrote: NOCTI has an NCCRS test worth 6 credits of UL in hospitality management:

OMG that's a find!!! I've never noticed that one before - thank you! I just spent a few minutes checking out their stuff, I swear I must be missing something obvious, but I can't figure out how to take a test??

It's a little hard to figure out but last I checked, you should be able to use proctorU. Their website is hard to navigate so you may have to email them to set it up. Adults have to go through nocti business solutions and pay $150/test, which is pretty good for 6credits of upper level. Most of the other tests are 3 credits of lower level, though.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Then how about a bachelors in business then without the hospitality specifics
benon Wrote:Hey I appreciate all of your help and guidance, my wife would like to finish school, in the cheapest way possible and you came to mind Smile
so she wants a bachelors in business, or more specifically business hospitality can you walk me through that process? and if so can you also provide a spreadsheet if you have one. I hope all is well and you are doing okay.

Hey, I got both of your PM's and decided to answer it here.  BTW, Thanks for being my biggest fan, haha! Big Grin 

My suggestion is to take the BSBA GM option at TESU or at WGU, depending on the number of credits she has and the "cheap/easy/fast" factors involved.  I lean towards WGU for cheap/fast, TESU for easy/fast.  These two have ACBSP accreditation, and if she would like to continue with an MBA or MSML, WGU is the recommendation for graduate school...

The bulk of the credits, about 90 of them, can be done through CLEP/MS and ACE sources combined (Saylor/SL/Study.com), I would not recommend NCCRS credits from Davar, Onlinedegree.com, or even the ones from Saylor/Study.com unless you are going with TESU.  Take your required math at ALEKS, also note neither school will accept Shmoop, so skip them as well.

My advice is to actually take the GM AOS (18 credits total with 12 being UL, in 3 of 4 areas - ACC, FIN, MAR, MAN).  Your wife can take a few of the courses that focus on Hospitality but also hit one or more of those areas.  There are 4 courses offered at Study.com, but two duplicate.  So, technically, it's 3 courses that can come from Study.com for the AOS...

Get your wife to provide you all her courses that she's completed and get an evaluation; if she's starting from scratch, it's OK
Here are my recommendations for your GM AOS, just like getting a COSC BSBA with a general concentration, the following 3 Study.com courses need to be pre-approved with an advisor.  It gives your wife more exposure to the hospitality industry.

SL Financial Accounting ACC 151 = TESU Intermediate Accounting I ACC 201 (LL)
SL Managerial Accounting ACC 150 = TESU Cost Accounting ACC 303 (UL)
Study.com Hospitality 101 OR 105 = Both come in as Introduction to Hospitality HMM 140 (LL)
Study.com Hospitality 301 = Hospitality Marketing HMM 316
Study.com Hospitality 304 = Hotel Management & Operations HMM 341
Your wife has one more "elective" UL course from ACC, FIN, MAR, MAN - select something like Study.com MIS 301 as an example.

I have homework for you/your wife, create a spreadsheet yourself using the instructions on my Beginners Guide post #27/28, you can use the spreadsheet if you want and modify the first worksheet My Degree Plan! and use the other tabs as a reference.  Lastly, I would recommend getting the BSBA at TESU over COSC/EC, I would then recommend the Masters at WGU.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • RachelB
CSU Global has four hospitality CBEs that you can transfer to TESU or COSC.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 160 Yesterday, 10:04 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 137 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,727 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 195 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,551 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 213 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 624 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,083 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 253 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,208 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK