Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheapest Fastest RN to BSN???
I have a pal who has completed AA, ADN, and holds her RN License.  She needs to complete he BSN ASAP.  She has a lot of credits, but nothing at the upper level.  Cost and speed are of primary concern.  I suspect WGU at at 3200/6 months may be the best option.  But wanted to know if anyone had other thoughts.  (I know about Allnurses.com, but frankly hate posting anything there).  WGU appears to give 50 "credits" for having the RN license.  https://www.wgu.edu/wgu/credit/program429

Arkansas State looks appealing to her, $699/course all look straightforward.  They even appear to offer 36 credits at $400 for having passed the NCLEX. Great school and that has some appeal as does the fact that its pay as you go....if WGU takes her more than 1 term the cost between these two would just about be a wash and it wouldn't matter how long it took to finish these at Ark State.  http://degree.astate.edu/programs/rn-to-bsn.aspx

Fort Hays looks good at $640/course....will depend on how many additional courses are required and where her present courses fall.  https://www.fhsu.edu/nursing/RN-BSN-(On-LINE)/#Gen-eds

What else is out there in the cost effective, relatively quick RN to BSN world?
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
My local 4-yr state school has an online 14-month RN-to-BSN program for $9,880.

I would think anything less than $10k is a good price.

At WGU, she would get 50cr for the RN, plus additional credits for the AA (they do a block transfer of the AA, so it looks like maybe 37cr more completed). Leaving about 33cr - which sounds like too many to complete in a single term, so I'm guessing it's a 2-term program, and so $6,500 or so.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • rebel100
It sounds like it might be worth an application fee and transcript fees to get an actual evaluation at WGU. Then you wouldn't be guessing about how many credits she would need.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Have your friend post on allnurses.com. After all, it is her life. How fast is fast? I'm not really expecting an answer. WGU is the fastest assuming that she can find enough time to do all of the work in 6 months. If she's working full-time, that's not realistic.

Before enrolling in WGU, it's absolutely necessary to complete all testing out. Can't take the DSST statistics exam, for example, after starting at WGU. A BSN is a minimum of 30 hours. That's 30 hours of nursing courses - it doesn't count statistics, history, English composition, etc. which are extra hours if not already completed.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Almost certainly applying to all three mentioned in my OP.

Perhaps my post should have asked..." Who else to consider". ?
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
http://allnurses.com/excelsior-college-o...ost7932111

https://academicpartnerships.uta.edu/onl...7216564899 Price shown is probably for Texas residents only
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
https://partners.wgu.edu/TransferGuideli...20BSN).pdf

https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...768&pid=54

Just found these links, looks like an AA or ADN is not enough for a block transfer. But, at least she will know that these courses can be transferred in, she can use any ACE-recommended courses. SL has a list of courses that will transfer, and everything on the list is available from SL except BioChemistry. Saylor has 5 courses that will work as well. They will take CLEP, DSST, Study.com, etc.

Also, remember that WGU has the discount for taking 4 courses there, as well as a scholarship you can apply for that's $500 per term up to $2000.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The FASTEST BSN programs I know about are the accelerated options, and they are usually second degree (second BA) options (and $$$$). That's the lane I spent the most time investigating a few years back. If Dfrecore found one for 14 months and you only need an ADN to start- I think that's a winner.

Also, potential stumbling blocks would be missing credits in the lab sciences. If she needs any labs, she might be at the mercy of a slower pace due to the prereq sequence. Some of the accelerated programs I crossed off my list asked for College Algebra (I didn't have that).

Finally, I'll ask this sensitively, but how were her grades? One doesn't simply "just enroll" in nursing school. It's still pretty competitive. "B" students have a harder time that's for sure. I know many in real life who re-took every B class so they could rank up enough to even be considered. Depending on when she became an RN, it may have been different, but today, nurses are expected to bring very strong academic transcripts and care experience (which she has) to their application.

I wish her the best!!
(08-04-2017, 10:48 PM)cookderosa Wrote: The FASTEST BSN programs I know about are the accelerated options, and they are usually second degree (second BA) options (and $$$$). That's the lane I spent the most time investigating a few years back. If Dfrecore found one for 14 months and you only need an ADN to start- I think that's a winner.

Also, potential stumbling blocks would be missing credits in the lab sciences. If she needs any labs, she might be at the mercy of a slower pace due to the prereq sequence. Some of the accelerated programs I crossed off my list asked for College Algebra (I didn't have that).

Finally, I'll ask this sensitively, but how were her grades? One doesn't simply "just enroll" in nursing school. It's still pretty competitive. "B" students have a harder time that's for sure. I know many in real life who re-took every B class so they could rank up enough to even be considered. Depending on when she became an RN, it may have been different, but today, nurses are expected to bring very strong academic transcripts and care experience (which she has) to their application.

I wish her the best!!
Actually, she's a Dean's list student with great grades in subjects like trig, chemistry, all the nursing core, etc... She has a ton of credit too. Comes from a family of physicians, NP's, etc... I think life just got in the way. I work with and manage nurses, this one's really quite exceptional. I suspect Arkansas is the choice. Just didn't want to overlook anything I haven't yet heard of. It's getting harder for ADN's to get the plum jobs as hospitals seek magnet status. Something like 60% or more of the staff RN's have to hold their BSN, it squeezes the rest.
AS in EMS August 2010

(08-04-2017, 11:03 PM)rebel100 Wrote:
(08-04-2017, 10:48 PM)cookderosa Wrote: The FASTEST BSN programs I know about are the accelerated options, and they are usually second degree (second BA) options (and $$$$). That's the lane I spent the most time investigating a few years back. If Dfrecore found one for 14 months and you only need an ADN to start- I think that's a winner.

I wish her the best!!
Actually, she's a Dean's list student with great grades in subjects like trig, chemistry, all the nursing core, etc... She has a ton of credit too. Comes from a family of physicians, NP's, etc... I think life just got in the way. I work with and manage nurses, this one's really quite exceptional. I suspect Arkansas is the choice. Just didn't want to overlook anything I haven't yet heard of. It's getting harder for ADN's to get the plum jobs as hospitals seek magnet status. Something like 60% or more of the staff RN's have to hold their BSN, it squeezes the rest.

Too bad she's not in a hospital that would pay for her to pursue the BSN. She's lucky though that she has you in her back pocket. You'll keep her costs way down!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 617 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 383 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,840 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
  Cheapest? Easiest? RA degree(s) in USA? omicreativedev 18 1,980 01-10-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Fastest/cheapest second bachelor’s degree Lingo55 19 4,922 04-30-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  35 Fastest Online School Degree Programs in 2021 LevelUP 1 1,201 03-05-2022, 08:45 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  How do I get the fastest bachelor’s degree and masters degree online in India? bhakti641 3 1,160 01-07-2022, 01:50 AM
  Cheapest Bachelors Degree Alpha 22 4,430 05-04-2021, 04:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Fastest second AA you can get if you already have a first AA ? nyvrem 15 1,947 03-20-2021, 12:03 PM
  Cheapest RA or NA bachelor degree options StoicJ 19 3,500 10-11-2020, 04:17 PM
Last Post: rachel83az