Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classes through XAMK Open Learn
Has anyone else taken free ECTS-credit classes through XAMK Open Learn (https://open-learn.xamk.fi/)? I signed up for their rehabilitation diploma track, since it's an area I'm very interested in, but I'm a little lost as to how the two courses that have started actually work. E.g., lots of assigned readings, little guidance as to what is important to pay attention to, and class length (in weeks) seems to have little relation to the amount of material covered. Are all XAMK courses designed this way—basically self-study with a chance to earn credit by passing quizzes or writing assignments? Are we expected to be communicating with professors regularly in order to get the guidance that a syllabus or lesson structure would provide?
With the video games one, there's a discord if you have any questions about the course. It's mostly self study, though, yes.
I decided to not take their course. The school is not very popular.... and I don't think employers in English speaking countries will take this diploma seriously.
(09-14-2020, 04:27 PM)nomaduser Wrote: I decided to not take their course. The school is not very popular.... and I don't think employers in English speaking countries will take this diploma seriously.

This underscores that we all take classes for different reasons. For me, I'm not sure what popularity has to do with it. In my case, neither do employers—I run my own business.

Since these are ECTS from an accredited college, I do think someone looking for U.S. undergrad credits should have a decent chance of getting credit for XAMK courses from American colleges that regularly give transfer credits for ECTS, if—and it's a big if—the course subjects fit the degree plan. But if transferring is the main goal, that hypothetical someone would be better off with  the normal suggestions on this site. XAMK is a better fit when the main goal is to learn the material and, only as a bonus, possibly be able to get undergrad credit.

(09-14-2020, 03:25 PM)rachel83az Wrote: With the video games one, there's a discord if you have any questions about the course. It's mostly self study, though, yes.

Thanks, Rachel. I thought with the video games one, there should be a lot of programming exercises. Is that not the case? Is it more theoretical?
(09-14-2020, 05:26 PM)wow Wrote: This underscores that we all take classes for different reasons. For me, I'm not sure what popularity has to do with it. In my case, neither do employers—I run my own business.

Since these are ECTS from an accredited college, I do think someone looking for U.S. undergrad credits should have a decent chance of getting credit for XAMK courses from American colleges that regularly give transfer credits for ECTS, if—and it's a big if—the course subjects fit the degree plan. But if transferring is the main goal, that hypothetical someone would be better off with  the normal suggestions on this site. XAMK is a better fit when the main goal is to learn the material and, only as a bonus, possibly be able to get undergrad credit.

Yeah, they may transfer as RA credits but chances are not too high.
I realized I'd have a better luck with straighterline.com
(09-14-2020, 05:26 PM)wow Wrote: Thanks, Rachel. I thought with the video games one, there should be a lot of programming exercises. Is that not the case? Is it more theoretical?

The first assignments are theoretical - what makes a good game, games you've played, etc. Later modules do not really have intermediate coding steps. You watch a half dozen videos and then you're expected to make a text adventure or a digital card game or something like that from a specification document. What you get is sufficient to do the assignments but, at the same time, it also feels like nowhere near enough. You have to be highly motivated to finish everything.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metropolia Open UAS Failed Enrollment? MissRN 9 944 02-05-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  XAMK ROYISAGIRL 126 19,644 01-04-2024, 01:05 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 484 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Santander Becas changes to Open Santander Avidreader 0 289 11-22-2023, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  What's your opinion on The Open University UK? nomaduser 12 1,530 11-08-2023, 05:47 AM
Last Post: alfiooo
  XAMK- video game creation help Personherebb9 2 674 08-08-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: flosfillin
  Open or closed? rachel83az 4 471 07-28-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Finnish Universities (XAMK etc.) (incl. CS/IT courses!) sarahmac 32 7,671 06-16-2023, 02:38 PM
Last Post: wow
  Getting HAKA access with Xamk? freddiebear 12 2,167 06-01-2023, 12:44 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Lightbulb College classes in high school, Transfer Policy? pilot 3 672 02-02-2023, 01:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77