Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Algebra Sophia and CLEP College Algebra
(08-14-2022, 02:26 PM)davemodular Wrote: Out of curiosity is there a degree at UMPI that does not require College Algebra? If so what degree is that? I say this because I was under the impression that College Algebra was the lowest math allowed for admission.

The BABA requires MAT140 Mathematics for Business which is a business math course. Sophia doesn't offer it.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu
(08-14-2022, 02:56 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 02:26 PM)davemodular Wrote: Out of curiosity is there a degree at UMPI that does not require College Algebra? If so what degree is that? I say this because I was under the impression that College Algebra was the lowest math allowed for admission.

The BABA requires MAT140 Mathematics for Business which is a business math course. Sophia doesn't offer it.

In your opinion is MAT140 easier or harder then College Algebra? Actually now I remember, since Sophia doesnt have MAT140 you have to take College Algebra and Statistics to equal MAT140. Therefore College Algebra is what I need for the degree I want as there is nothing easier or lower for admission.
(08-14-2022, 02:58 PM)davemodular Wrote: In your opinion is MAT140 easier or harder then College Algebra? Actually now I remember, since Sophia doesnt have MAT140 you have to take College Algebra and Statistics to equal MAT140. Therefore College Algebra is what I need for the degree I want as there is nothing easier or lower for admission.

I completed the BLS and MAT140 was not an option for the GEC. I used College Algebra from Sophia for it. College Algebra and Intro to Stats doesn't equal MAT140. College Algebra is the easiest math course to transfer to UMPI. You won't find an easier math course than the way Sophia does it. Stats is another option. You can take either algebra or stats. Both transfer to UMPI. Seriously, Sophia is the easiest place to take a math class.
(08-14-2022, 01:49 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 01:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote: All of them do not require College Algebra.

Little nitpick: the way this is phrased makes it sound like no UMPI degrees require College Algebra. While it's true that you can take Calculus or Precalc to meet GEC requirements, College Algebra is the easiest way to meet this requirement for many degrees.

I didn't say no UMPI degrees require College Algebra. I said ALL of them don't require it which is true. The BABA's do not require it. They required MAT140 instead. Yes, you can take higher maths but the OP sounds like they struggle with math so no one in their right mind would suggest taking Precalc or Calc instead of College Algebra.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle
(08-15-2022, 11:37 AM)ss20ts Wrote: I didn't say no UMPI degrees require College Algebra. I said ALL of them don't require it which is true. The BABA's do not require it. They required MAT140 instead. Yes, you can take higher maths but the OP sounds like they struggle with math so no one in their right mind would suggest taking Precalc or Calc instead of College Algebra.

I think what Rachel is getting at is the specific semantics used:
  1. "all degrees don't require" is logically equal to "no degrees require"
  2. "not all degrees require" is logically equal to "some degrees require"
Although the first form was used, the second was intended. It's a subtle difference, and most (if not all) people will assume the intended meaning, which is why she identified the comment as a nitpick.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 4 users Like origamishuttle's post:
  • carrythenothing, jsd, rachel83az, uncapentin
(08-15-2022, 12:53 PM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(08-15-2022, 11:37 AM)ss20ts Wrote: I didn't say no UMPI degrees require College Algebra. I said ALL of them don't require it which is true. The BABA's do not require it. They required MAT140 instead. Yes, you can take higher maths but the OP sounds like they struggle with math so no one in their right mind would suggest taking Precalc or Calc instead of College Algebra.

Although the first form was used, the second was intended. It's a subtle difference, and most (if not all) people will assume the intended meaning, which is why she identified the comment as a nitpick.

Whatever. All degrees don't require College Algebra. College Algebra and intro to Stats on Sophia are the most common mentioned on here that fill's UMPI"S math GEC reqs except for the BABA. The BABA requires MAT140 instead.
(08-15-2022, 12:53 PM)origamishuttle Wrote:

Exactly this. I would think that most native speakers would understand, but we also get a lot of international students here. I think they'd be more likely to think it's the 1st meaning.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle, superman7136

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 107 Yesterday, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 2 124 04-19-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Bus 150 - Sophia didn't transfer layermonkey 5 280 04-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Full list of sophia courses that will transfer? And any Major recs? hexclep 1 236 04-07-2024, 06:10 PM
  Sophia to UMPI Transcript wowzers 9 456 04-06-2024, 01:19 PM
  Micro bio, Sophia learningthehardway 10 284 04-05-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Rainbow GEC Critical & Creative Thinking Learning Objective D - Sophia equivalents? mythomagician 2 214 03-27-2024, 07:59 PM
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 1,047 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  Which Sophia Classes Meet These Requirements? gc82 2 315 03-15-2024, 10:15 AM
  Sophia Classes for BA Psych? CollegeBraveB 2 404 03-01-2024, 09:10 PM