Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College algebra, Precalc + Calculus
Happy new year people.

Those of you that have done these courses please let me know which provider you did them with and your experience. I am mainly loking at study.com , straighterline, ed4redit etc BUT not ALEKS! ALEKS is not for my learning style, too linear a thinker.

Best regards

Big Shay
I'm going to say that the cheapest way is to learn the material for free (Khan Academy is one way) and then take Modern States to get your vouchers and take the CLEP exams. The benefit to CLEP is that it is THE most accepted form of alternative credit that we discuss here.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • camjenks
(01-15-2019, 10:06 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm going to say that the cheapest way is to learn the material for free (Khan Academy is one way) and then take Modern States to get your vouchers and take the CLEP exams.  The benefit to CLEP is that it is THE most accepted form of alternative credit that we discuss here.

Hie Dfrecore

Thanks for the response. The problem is that I am not in the US and my future college will accept any ACE recommeded or NCCRS course which is why I limit myself to those. BTW have you taken any math course with the aformentioned?

BR

Big Shay
(01-15-2019, 10:18 AM)Bigshay Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 10:06 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm going to say that the cheapest way is to learn the material for free (Khan Academy is one way) and then take Modern States to get your vouchers and take the CLEP exams.  The benefit to CLEP is that it is THE most accepted form of alternative credit that we discuss here.

Hie Dfrecore

Thanks for the response. The problem is that I am not in the US and my future college will accept any ACE recommeded or NCCRS course which is why I limit myself to those. BTW have you taken any math course with the aformentioned?

BR

Big Shay

CLEP is ACE recommended - but there may not be any CLEP testing centers near you.

Yes, I and my kids have used Khan Academy plenty of times.  I personally don't need Precalc/Calc, but my son will be in precalc next year, and if there are any questions/problems, he'll be going to Khan since it's been more than 30 years since I've done precalc and can't help much.

I would say either SL or Study.com are you best bet.  But, again, I might learn for free on Khan before doing the courses on either, since with both you are paying by the month.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-15-2019, 09:39 AM)Bigshay Wrote: Happy new year people.

Those of you that have done these courses please let me know which provider you did them with and your experience. I am mainly loking at study.com , straighterline, ed4redit etc BUT not ALEKS! ALEKS is not for my learning style, too linear a thinker.

Best regards

Big Shay

I can't speak for pre-calc or calc, but for Algebra I studied at Khan academy to learn the subject and then took the free clep test using modern states. Depending on background knowledge you can do khan academy fairly quickly, and this is definitely the cheapest option since it's free. Clep is taken at most places that study.com or SL are accepted so I'd do it that way. I've heard study.com's course style just doesn't lend itself to teaching math thoroughly.
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra Experience Live Zachcleigh 11 3,241 03-08-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,861 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 560 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 549 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 821 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Dyscalculia and Sophia.org Algebra and Stats retro 10 867 09-29-2023, 05:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Any good self-paced option for math such as Calculus II? zcao15 3 954 06-11-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com acquires Enhanced Prep (K-12 tutoring, College Prep Provider) bjcheung77 5 791 03-05-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Study.com and Sophia Partner College Transcripts? acamp 17 1,820 02-12-2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: allvia