Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colleges like TESU which allows enrolment of one year without obligation?
So after loooong research I decided to choose UMPI over TESU because "fast and cheap". But since I'm changing career, I would like to take advantage of being a student and apply for some internships. I wonder if I can register at both universities, finish UMPI as fast as possible, but keep the registration status at TESU without taking classes? 

As I learned (if correct), I can enroll at TESU, just take a TECEP, and the status will be valid for one year. There is no obligation of minimum credits per semester/year. (Unless it's veteran contract which requires 3 credits /year).  But I have to take TOEFL as international student, TESU does not waive it in any case. So the cost will be $260 (TOEFL) + $50 (application) + $50 (TECEP). Does anyone know if there are other colleges that have similar policy like TESU?   

Thanks!!
I think TESU is pretty unique in that regard. The next closest might be Peirce College. But I haven't looked too closely into their policies.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Why do you want to be enrolled at 2 universities at the same time? Not sure what the point would be. Either school will keep you busy with classes. It would be hard to have enough time to work on a second degree at TESU while trying to complete UMPI classes quickly.

UMPI doesn't have a a registration status like TESU. You're either enrolled or not. By being enrolled you are either currently taking classes or you are scheduled to begin them the next session. You can defer your enrollment, but you're not an UMPI student during this time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • bluebooger
I think he's looking to "game" internships that require you to be a student, without actually taking any classes. I could be misreading that though. Note that I am not judging, I am just interpreting.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
(02-10-2022, 01:38 PM)Flelm Wrote: I think he's looking to "game" internships that require you to be a student, without actually taking any classes. I could be misreading that though. Note that I am not judging, I am just interpreting.

Oh well that won't work at UMPI. The only way you're a student is if you're enrolled in classes so you have to complete them.
(02-10-2022, 01:40 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(02-10-2022, 01:38 PM)Flelm Wrote: I think he's looking to "game" internships that require you to be a student, without actually taking any classes. I could be misreading that though. Note that I am not judging, I am just interpreting.

Oh well that won't work at UMPI. The only way you're a student is if you're enrolled in classes so you have to complete them.

I think that's the point. He wants a degree at UMPI, then use someplace like TESU to get an internship.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(02-10-2022, 03:09 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I think that's the point. He wants a degree at UMPI, then use someplace like TESU to get an internship.

Why not do an internship through UMPI? Internships aren't super common with online degrees from what I've seen.
I'm a bit confused on what OP is trying to do, most schools including COSC, Excelsior, TESU and non competency based degree providers have enrollment either by a fee (yes, the Big 3 had yearly enrollment fees) or if you take a course through them. If you want to "credit bank" everything, TESU is an option to do that by adding a degree into your programs list and enroll in a TECEP.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Many internships with government agencies and private employers are only available to current college students. OP is trying to become a current college student. Documentation has to be provided showing that you're currently enrolled.

In my opinion, this is a waste of money. There are many internships that are for recent college graduates.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 3 users Like sanantone's post:
  • carrythenothing, jch, ss20ts
Won't there also be time between when you finish your degree at UMPI and graduate that would also work as being an enrolled student without actually having to take any classes? So no need to spend money at TESU if you can find an internship during that time...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Utah Schools switching to the 3-year Bachelor Airamb 6 360 03-27-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 1,351 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  TESU BA psychology - need help with degree plan amleigh 17 941 12-16-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any online colleges with recorded or live video lectures? whiverem 15 1,172 11-17-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: whiverem
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 39,599 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
Big Grin Degree Plan for SNHU BSCS AND/OR TESU BACS Request suzycupcake 10 1,333 06-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  What are the best online colleges? whiverem 10 1,264 05-23-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 11 3,162 01-29-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  Places to park electronics + computer PLA credits (BOG AAS + TESU AAS) xicovu 17 1,626 09-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: xicovu
  Workload at Excelsior & TESU clarissa23 4 1,113 06-15-2022, 11:48 AM
Last Post: dfrecore