Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Confirmed with TESC Registrar: Kaplan PLA is Gen Ed and IPSL
SweetSecret Wrote:Well, I hope it works for someone else bevause they certainly weren't going to let me do it.

I thought the problem was that they didn't have a reviewer who was an expert in women's studies.

strawberrygreen Wrote:Help! Trying to do a portfolio assessment and need to register ... but TESC is saying I cannot register for portfolio assessment at TESC until I've done the TESC PLA-200 course, which takes 8 weeks. I've already completed the Kaplan course for ACE credit.

I read on the forums somewhere that Marc Singer says you don't have to do TESC's PLA-200 course if you already did the Kaplan course... can anyone direct me to a link or other hard information that proves that?

Marc Singer did say on the forum that taking a PLA course somewhere else will waive the requirement to take PLA-100 and PLA-200. Unless things have changed, then Todd Siben is wrong. He's known for being hostile to students going the less-traditional route and getting himself confused. You can try sending Marc Singer an email because his position is higher than Todd Siben's. If he says the requirement is waived with the Kaplan course, then forward that response to Todd Siben.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I thought the problem was that they didn't have a reviewer who was an expert in women's studies.

Marc Singer did say on the forum that taking a PLA course somewhere else will waive the requirement to take PLA-100 and PLA-200. Unless things have changed, then Todd Siben is wrong. He's known for being hostile to students going the less-traditional route and getting himself confused. You can try sending Marc Singer an email because his position is higher than Todd Siben's. If he says the requirement is waived with the Kaplan course, then forward that response to Todd Siben.

I'm sure they could find someone to review it. I think it was more that they just didn't want to deal with me right then on the whole issue. I mean they have a "Women in Social Action" course, an "Intro to criminal justice" course, and they list Sex / Gender for topics people can do portfolios on. Yet they refused me. I really think it is/was a bunch of bureaucracy. I hope you don't think I'm being snippy to you, because that's not my intention. I really want to see this work, I'm just irritated with how they treated my situation.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
SweetSecret Wrote:I'm sure they could find someone to review it. I think it was more that they just didn't want to deal with me right then on the whole issue. I mean they have a "Women in Social Action" course, an "Intro to criminal justice" course, and they list Sex / Gender for topics people can do portfolios on. Yet they refused me. I really think it is/was a bunch of bureaucracy. I hope you don't think I'm being snippy to you, because that's not my intention. I really want to see this work, I'm just irritated with how they treated my situation.

I agree with you. They should have someone who could review the portfolio. You don't need an exact match. For example, someone who teaches chemistry could easily assess intro to biology. However, I think the problem is Todd Siben. He wants everyone to do things his way.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I think the problem is Todd Siben. He wants everyone to do things his way.

This!

Yes, sometimes it just has to do with who you deal with. So I could go back now and throw a big fuss to see if they'd let me do it, but he's still there, so chances are it would be a "no" for me. It irks me because this threw off my whole graduation plan. So I am signed up to take the public relations TECEP this term along with capstone. Anyone want to take a guess what my capstone topic is on?
If you answered something that they told me they didn't have a professor to review a PLA portfolio for, having to do with gender, you'd probably be right. So far the capstone instructor hasn't tried to sway me on my topic... so obviously he feels confident to be able to grade it. If TESC had let me do a portfolio for any number of the course titles I was planning to, I could have easily already been done with all my credits. As it is, after this term I'll still have to earn 9 more residency credits (degree credits will already be fulfilled) on 3 different TECEPS. Seriously, the PLA/Portfolio thing would have been an easy no-brainer for me. I have documentation up the ying-yang showing that I've worked in the entertainment industry, that I've volunteered for a number of related non-profits, for women/anti-trafficking, and I could probably teach a course on all of this that would blow students out of the water compared to what is currently taught. That's not to say that no one coming out of my industry has ever gone onto teach a college course, but most of them had very limited experience in the field (53% drop out within 4 years according to payscale.com) before moving on and only worked locally, whereas I had 15 years of it traveling all the country.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,673 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,459 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,206 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,997 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,367 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,779 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,757 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 11,337 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 6,908 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby
  TESC BA Psychology lovewins 5 1,982 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77