Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting Dive training to Colleges credit
I'm looking for ideas for a group of ex-military vets currently in civilian dive school. Does any know of a way to convert the specifics of the school into college credits? Would these high in CERTS be able to be converted via PLA?

Here is the list of CERTS they will receive. I did not find anything in ACE or NCCRS. There are a couple of universities and colleges that might have classes to be used via a PLA but I'm not sure yet.

INTERNATIONAL CERTIFICATIONS

These two main diving certifications allow DIT graduates to work domestically and globally.

• Unrestricted Surface Supplied Diver certification from the Diver Certification Board of Canada (DCBC)

• Entry level Diver/Tender–International Endorsement certification from the Association of Diving Contractors International (ADCI)
PROGRAM CERTIFICATIONS

1. 1. Unrestricted Surface Supplied Air Diver Certification with Occupational SCUBA Diver Endorsement, issued by the Diver Certification Board of Canada (DCBC) for the Canadian Standards Association (CSA): This certification allows you to work globally and opens you up to international job opportunities and world travel.

2. 2. Association of Dive Contractors International (ADCI) Entry Level Tender/Diver–International Endorsement Certification: This certification allows you to obtain dive jobs in the US market and certain international markets.

3. 3. DAN Diving First Aid for Professional Divers First Aid, CPR, A.E.D. and Oxygen Provider: Safety first! Commercial divers industry-wide are required to maintain up-to-date versions of these certifications to ensure job site safety.

4. 4. Job Safety Analysis (JSA) Certificate: You’ll learn how to analyze hazardous operations and provide mitigating techniques or procedures to ensure all operations are conducted safely.

5. 5. Qualified Rigger API (RP-2D) (REV-7): Shows you have a working knowledge of rigging techniques and procedures that you’ll use daily throughout your diving career.

6. 6. Hazardous Waste Materials (HazMat) 40-hour OSHA 29 CFR 1910.120 and WAC 80-hour HAZWOPER Certification: As a diver you may elect to take jobs where you’ll handle toxic waste or hazardous materials on, around, or in the water. In order to accept these positions HAZMAT certification is required.

7. 7,8. Level I Liquid Penetrant Testing 4-hour Initial Training Certificate (NDT) & Level II Magnetic Particle Testing 20-hour Initial Training Certificate (NDT): Completion certificates that show you’re qualified to perform basic NDT inspections in various sectors of the industry.

8. 9. Kirby Morgan Hat User/Operator Certification: You will gain an operational knowledge of maintenance requirements for your critical life support systems provided by Kirby Morgan.

9. 10,11. NAUI Open Water and NAUI Nitrox (EANX) SCUBA certifications: Demonstrates that you are trained in the proper use and care of standard SCUBA equipment as part of completing 10 program hours of Occupational SCUBA training.

10. 12. Cylinder Services Fill Station Technician (FST): This certificate demonstrates that you are trained to operate a fill station.

11. 13. Professional Commercial Diving Program Diploma

12. Divers Medical Course
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
(08-22-2022, 06:59 PM)vetvso Wrote: I'm looking for ideas for a group of ex-military vets currently in civilian dive school. Does any know of a way to convert the specifics of the school into college credits? Would these high in CERTS be able to be converted via PLA?

Here is the list of CERTS they will receive. I did not find anything in ACE or NCCRS. There are a couple of universities and colleges that might have classes to be used via a PLA but I'm not sure yet.

These two main diving certifications allow DIT graduates to work domestically and globally.
  • Unrestricted Surface Supplied Diver certification from the Diver Certification Board of Canada (DCBC)

• Entry level Diver/Tender–International Endorsement certification from the Association of Diving Contractors International (ADCI)
PROGRAM CERTIFICATIONS
  1. 1. Unrestricted Surface Supplied Air Diver Certification with Occupational SCUBA Diver Endorsement, issued by the Diver Certification Board of Canada (DCBC) for the Canadian Standards Association (CSA): This certification allows you to work globally and opens you up to international job opportunities and world travel.

2. 2. Association of Dive Contractors International (ADCI) Entry Level Tender/Diver–International Endorsement Certification: This certification allows you to obtain dive jobs in the US market and certain international markets.

3. 3. DAN Diving First Aid for Professional Divers First Aid, CPR, A.E.D. and Oxygen Provider: Safety first! Commercial divers industry-wide are required to maintain up-to-date versions of these certifications to ensure job site safety.

4. 4. Job Safety Analysis (JSA) Certificate: You’ll learn how to analyze hazardous operations and provide mitigating techniques or procedures to ensure all operations are conducted safely.

5. 5. Qualified Rigger API (RP-2D) (REV-7): Shows you have a working knowledge of rigging techniques and procedures that you’ll use daily throughout your diving career.

6. 6. Hazardous Waste Materials (HazMat) 40-hour OSHA 29 CFR 1910.120 and WAC 80-hour HAZWOPER Certification: As a diver you may elect to take jobs where you’ll handle toxic waste or hazardous materials on, around, or in the water. In order to accept these positions HAZMAT certification is required.

7. 7,8. Level I Liquid Penetrant Testing 4-hour Initial Training Certificate (NDT) & Level II Magnetic Particle Testing 20-hour Initial Training Certificate (NDT): Completion certificates that show you’re qualified to perform basic NDT inspections in various sectors of the industry.

8. 9. Kirby Morgan Hat User/Operator Certification: You will gain an operational knowledge of maintenance requirements for your critical life support systems provided by Kirby Morgan.

9. 10,11. NAUI Open Water and NAUI Nitrox (EANX) SCUBA certifications: Demonstrates that you are trained in the proper use and care of standard SCUBA equipment as part of completing 10 program hours of Occupational SCUBA training.

10. 12. Cylinder Services Fill Station Technician (FST): This certificate demonstrates that you are trained to operate a fill station.

Canadian forces veteran here, that has worked in dive industry since I got out in 1995.

I don't know of any way to easily get college credit for any of that. PADI does have some of their courses approved for ACE credit, NAUI does not unfortunately (PADI instructor and I was once even on the NAUI Board of Directors). 

It is possible to do a prior learning assessment at some schools like TESU ( https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/pla ) and using the ACE credit for PADI and or the courses offered at College of Florida keys from their catalogue along with how your NAUI certs match ( https://www.cfk.edu/academics/academic-d...echnology/)  where they do teach NAUI actually.

However.... honestly, the credits you will get "may" be accepted into electives and in sports at best so towards a degree the use may be limited (In fact when I did I undergrad I looked at decided not worth the effort)

To the commercial diving certs, you could also PLA against  Santa Barbara City College, South Louisiana Community College both that offer Associates degrees that align with what you are doing. However, doing a PLA and getting an associates degree would be challenging without doing other courses and honestly not even sure worth it. Also expensive as heck

If t folks are using most of their education benefits (GI Bill) money on the dive program and paying out of own pocket and they want a degree, honestly I would advise they look at doing the UMPI Bachelor of Arts in Business admin Management following the great advice on this forum and can be done fast and cheap ( https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-for-3-222 ) I bet the process will end up less expensive than doing a PLA and faster end of the day. Plus will have a full 4 yr degree
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
[-] The following 2 users Like cerich67's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, Pikachu
(08-22-2022, 07:38 PM)cerich67 Wrote:
(08-22-2022, 06:59 PM)vetvso Wrote: I'm looking for ideas for a group of ex-military vets currently in civilian dive school. Does any know of a way to convert the specifics of the school into college credits? Would these high in CERTS be able to be converted via PLA?

PROGRAM CERTIFICATIONS

Canadian forces veteran here, that has worked in dive industry since I got out in 1995.

I don't know of any way to easily get college credit for any of that. PADI does have some of their courses approved for ACE credit, NAUI does not unfortunately (PADI instructor and I was once even on the NAUI Board of Directors). 

It is possible to do a prior learning assessment at some schools like TESU ( https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/pla ) and using the ACE credit for PADI and or the courses offered at College of Florida keys from their catalogue along with how your NAUI certs match ( https://www.cfk.edu/academics/academic-d...echnology/)  where they do teach NAUI actually.

However.... honestly, the credits you will get "may" be accepted into electives and in sports at best so towards a degree the use may be limited (In fact when I did I undergrad I looked at decided not worth the effort)

To the commercial diving certs, you could also PLA against  Santa Barbara City College, South Louisiana Community College both that offer Associates degrees that align with what you are doing. However, doing a PLA and getting an associates degree would be challenging without doing other courses and honestly not even sure worth it. Also expensive as heck

If t folks are using most of their education benefits (GI Bill) money on the dive program and paying out of own pocket and they want a degree, honestly I would advise they look at doing the UMPI Bachelor of Arts in Business admin Management following the great advice on this forum and can be done fast and cheap ( https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-for-3-222 ) I bet the process will end up less expensive than doing a PLA and faster end of the day. Plus will have a full 4 yr degree

There is a lack of degree programs for commercial divers. It's still a fairly unique field of work. I have done the PADI certs with them already with ACE. Now, these guys already have between 90 - 120 credits plus so UMPI may or may not work for some of them.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
It's not how many credits you've already completed, it's how many credits (and how much time/money) is left to go. Even with 100+ credits, UMPI might be faster/cheaper for some of them than most other schools would be.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
I had over 190 credits when I transferred to UMPI. If I had only completed 1 minor, I would have been done in 2 sessions so 16 weeks.
Why wouldn't any school work just because you already have a lot of credit? I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. It's all about looking forward, and what it takes to complete your degree - rather than looking backward, at what you've already completed. This is the case for ALL degrees at all schools.

So, have each one come on here, give us a list of credits, and we can tell them what it would take to finish a degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-25-2022, 08:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Why wouldn't any school work just because you already have a lot of credit?  I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.  It's all about looking forward, and what it takes to complete your degree - rather than looking backward, at what you've already completed.  This is the case for ALL degrees at all schools.

So, have each one come on here, give us a list of credits, and we can tell them what it would take to finish a degree.

This post was never about degree completion and was a question about certified commercial diving credits being converted into college credits. I was asking about this specifically but people drifted the conversation. It sounds like no one knows of any way to convert these other than PLA, which is fine since these are very specific.
I found this, maybe it will help
https://www.scubatude.com/blog/scubatude...uba-diving
(09-15-2022, 01:38 PM)Alpha Wrote: I found this, maybe it will help

Written by a good friend, he was talking about the PADI coures that are ACE. Robert is a PADI shop
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
(09-15-2022, 11:08 PM)cerich67 Wrote:
(09-15-2022, 01:38 PM)Alpha Wrote: I found this, maybe it will help

Written by a good friend, he was talking about the PADI coures that are ACE. Robert is a PADI shop

PADI has been very helpful to us and my kids getting the ACE credits. It's much more difficult when it comes to commercial diving certifications. Here are a few PADI class transfers.

DIV-199 Special Topics in Diving CR 2.00
DIV-141 Rescue Diving CR 1.00
DIV-114 Advanced Open Water Diving CR 1.00
DIV-105 Deep Diving CR 1.0
DIV-104 Open Water Diving CR 1.0

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best and Worst Colleges for Veterans sanantone 9 5,612 09-05-2023, 03:20 AM
Last Post: AUDACITY4U
Star DAU Courses Available Online and For College Credit kvolivera 89 26,557 04-14-2021, 06:12 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Free Online CLEP Training Alpha 2 1,891 01-12-2021, 06:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,801 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Navy BootCamp Credit natshar 9 2,348 03-31-2020, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,901 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DraftKings Partners With VetsinTech to Offer Free Coding Training to Ex-Military Memb decimon 0 2,120 06-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Last Post: decimon
  Free Splunk Training for Veterans jamshid666 3 3,824 04-26-2018, 05:45 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Only 722 total veterans in top 36 most highly selective colleges! Life Long Learning 3 2,083 03-03-2018, 12:14 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  FREE CyberSecurity Training for Veterans Life Long Learning 1 2,087 08-24-2016, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Prloko