Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coopersmith Linear Algebra Experience Live
When searching around the forum I wasn't able to find a lot of information on this course, its content, delivery etc.  A lot of people made educated guesses, but it seems like there is no actual real feedback.  I'm registered for the course, so I will be coming and updating it as I go through the course to provide an overview for anyone who takes it in the future.  
     A little bit of background.  I've taken all lower level math classes as well as Calc 1 and 2.  Math is my best subject, so other's experiences may differ.  

The course has:
9 study modules (each contain videos and a practice test)
Final exam review
Proctored final exam
End of course survey

Hopefully this will be helpful for someone in the future.

Module 1:

Module 1 contains 8 videos that all link to a YouTube channel.  Pay close attention to the videos.  They have mistakes and sometimes they're corrected by popups, but others are listed in the video description field.  Not the best, but it's manageable.  

The last video for this module is Matrix-Vector Multiplication.  I was very unimpressed with this video.  I felt that it didn't give a good representation of the material whatsoever.  However,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2lJ7oSwcyY
This link covers the same topic and does a great job at it.  

The practice quiz is a good indicator of knowledge grasp.  However, I believe it has a typo.  
Problem # 5 is   
U=[-5,2]  V=[-8,-5]
What is the solution to U-2V
U-2V=[-5,2]-2[-8,-5]
V essentially has to be multiplied by the coefficient (scalar) "-2"
so the problem turns into 
[-5,2]+[16,10] = [11,12]
The practice test lists the answer as: "[11,2]
My best guess is someone failed to enter the one prior to the 2 in 12.

I'm contacting the student help email to confirm this.  
Best of luck.
[-] The following 3 users Like Zachcleigh's post:
  • eriehiker, udi, Zed
Thanks, Zachcleigh. I’m going to try to follow along with you.
Thanks appreciate the info.
Hello everyone,

I want to first apologize.  I intended to create a beneficial series of posts related to this course offering, but life got in the way (specifically deployment).  We were getting too close to the deadline for transcripts being due at TESU, so I did an accelerated study method and took the test.

To start: I received a 73 on the exam.  
My method of study: Watch the final exam review to learn the methods of approaching the problems.  Then go to the final practice and apply the methods to solidify the concepts.  

Areas to focus on:
Know what a determinant is
Know how to solve linear systems of equations
Understand the concept of shear linear transformations
Whether or not matrices are orthogonal
orthogonal projection of a matrix on an existing matrix system.
Symmetry
Deriving a matrix from the quadratic form

These were the topics that had the most weight on the exam.  I would recommend understanding these concepts thoroughly.  If you do, you will stand a good chance at passing the exam.  

I wish any future test takers the best of luck with this endeavor.  Do not save this for your last course! If you fail the exam I believe you have to wait 2 months before you can retake it.
[-] The following 2 users Like Zachcleigh's post:
  • eriehiker, shadowgem
Oh, great. This is going to be my last course. I am the next to take this, maybe.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(01-11-2020, 05:24 AM)udi Wrote: Oh, great. This is going to be my last course. I am the next to take this, maybe.
If you have any questions post them here and I’ll try to answer them. That way we can also provide something for future prospects to look through.
Is this course exam purely multiple choice? How many questions..?
Completed TESU BA in CS & Math
Target grad school: OMSCS, or UoTA MOCSO. (Contemplating research)

Thought I'd update here to save future students the hassle.

To answer my own qn: it's 33 qns, 3 points each, does not look like a multiple choice only exam.

In the middle of it, as someone without any LA experience coming with Cal 1 & 2, I was not able to grasp the concept and understanding from the videos alone. Scouting around for other courses now instead, but worried that it may not line up with Coopersmith. Wish me luck.

(01-23-2022, 12:52 AM)StudentOLife Wrote: To answer my own qn: it's 33 qns, 3 points each, does not look like a multiple choice only exam.

In the middle of it, as someone without any LA experience coming with Cal 1 & 2, I was not able to grasp the concept and understanding from the videos alone. Scouting around for other courses now instead, but worried that it may not line up with Coopersmith. Wish me luck.

Yes, most is multiple choice, but I believe that sometimes you have to provide an answer. Like on the practice exam.

You could try Khan Academy LA.

(01-23-2022, 04:15 AM)Ideas Wrote:
(01-23-2022, 12:52 AM)StudentOLife Wrote: To answer my own qn: it's 33 qns, 3 points each, does not look like a multiple choice only exam.

Yes, most is multiple choice, but I believe that sometimes you have to provide an answer. Like on the practice exam.

You could try Khan Academy LA.

Thank you, I did go to KA, but they just don't have any practice questions, and MIT seems like overkill for Coopersmith. Just going to practice with coopersmith questions and hope for the best...!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Composition II Experience lifted567 14 1,880 01-04-2024, 05:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Davar Academy experience - MAN-330 International Management TopHatWombat 6 1,395 12-30-2023, 01:22 AM
Last Post: mariobros1985
  Coopersmith Organizational Behavior - Upper Level? milah1 6 575 10-20-2023, 02:21 PM
  Coopersmith Positive Psychology TwinMom 2 438 10-09-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Dyscalculia and Sophia.org Algebra and Stats retro 10 941 09-29-2023, 05:16 AM
  Coopersmith proctoring rachel83az 23 4,052 08-06-2023, 07:54 AM
Last Post: shaas
  Experience with Alison? SCYankee 10 1,483 06-27-2023, 05:29 PM
  What are Coopersmith courses like? lonelySamurai 0 571 05-16-2023, 05:26 AM
Last Post: lonelySamurai
  Can anyone share their experience with Edx Critical Business Skills course by SNHU? lorabel 7 1,521 03-17-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Coopersmith Music Education eminor7 7 1,031 02-09-2023, 07:23 PM