Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Course Planning with TESU
The time has come for me to choose my classes for the next quarter at my community college, and even though my degree plan is still mostly wide open it would be helpful if I could have an idea going in what classes would count for what. Is this something TESU advisors will be able to help me with?

Of particular interest is whether I could take either of the two Astronomy classes offered at the CC (Stars, Galaxies and the Cosmos or The Solar System) without duplicating my existing OnlineDegree Astronomy credits.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Depends how helpful they want to be. If you aren't actually enrolled, they may not provide any academic advising.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
I haven't officially taken a class for enrollment, but I did apply and was accepted, just waiting on my academic evaluation.
Completed:

Up Next:

It would be very hard to get a direct answer from them since you aren't yet enrolled. Also, if they haven't finished your academic evaluation yet, then it would be even harder.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(10-16-2018, 02:13 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: The time has come for me to choose my classes for the next quarter at my community college, and even though my degree plan is still mostly wide open it would be helpful if I could have an idea going in what classes would count for what. Is this something TESU advisors will be able to help me with?

Of particular interest is whether I could take either of the two Astronomy classes offered at the CC (Stars, Galaxies and the Cosmos or The Solar System) without duplicating my existing OnlineDegree Astronomy credits.

I find it very likely that at least one, if not both of those would duplicate your existing credits. The only way to be sure would be to go ahead and apply to TESU and get access to advising. You could then ask them to plan those credits in and see what the equivalencies are.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(10-16-2018, 03:08 PM)davewill Wrote:
(10-16-2018, 02:13 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: The time has come for me to choose my classes for the next quarter at my community college, and even though my degree plan is still mostly wide open it would be helpful if I could have an idea going in what classes would count for what. Is this something TESU advisors will be able to help me with?

I find it very likely that at least one, if not both of those would duplicate your existing credits. The only way to be sure would be to go ahead and apply to TESU and get access to advising. You could then ask them to plan those credits in and see what the equivalencies are.

I've already applied, do I need to officially wait for my evaluation before I have access to advising?
Completed:

Up Next:

I'm afraid I agree with everyone else, you probably won't get an answer in time to register with certainty. You could try, but since you've taken the astronomy class and it didn't cost anything, I would roll the dice and go ahead and sign up for the two you have picked out. Worst-case duplication scenario is that you could drop your CC class if you found out in time that it duplicated. (and eat the cost of a probably very expensive textbook and access code). Either way, I noticed it wasn't your intended major, but I like your plan of taking advantage of all the informational overlap - very smart.
(10-16-2018, 04:20 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I've already applied, do I need to officially wait for my evaluation before I have access to advising?

They might do it, you should send them the course info; Institution, Course number, Title, and Description and ask them to plan them into your academic evaluation. They might do it fast enough to do you some good.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(10-16-2018, 04:20 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I've already applied, do I need to officially wait for my evaluation before I have access to advising?

Technically you don't have access to advising until you're enrolled. Which means you've signed up for and have started taking courses or TECEP exams with TESU.

When you're in applied status, this just means they will provide two evaluations of the transcripts you send in. You can also talk to an admissions advisor who may be able to provide some support in terms of helping you select your initial TESU courses to get you enrolled, but I don't know how helpful that will be for people on this forum who generally want to earn credits elsewhere.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I'm going to guess that TESU hasn't formally evaluated the OD course yet, which means no one there knows what it will come in as. Which means they won't be able to help you. This isn't an enrollment issue (IMHO) as much as it is an evaluation issue.

I'm going to guess that the OD course will duplicate one of your courses, but it's hard to know which one. You might want to wait on those until after you get your eval back with the OD course in there (please pass along the info!), and THEN ask TESU what your CC course will come in as. Meaning you're probably going to have to wait to take one of the courses until next term.

I personally wouldn't eat the cost of the textbook and/or code, that's too darned expensive in my opinion.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,975 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,156 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch