Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coursera, udacity, alison, courses.com, academicearth
Has anybody here used  any of these sources to gain college credit?

Coursera
Udacity
Alison
Courses.com
AcademicEarth

Or anything similar?

Coursera, for instance has pages hosted by specific universities:

coursera.org/duke (I don't think this will show up as a live link, but if it does and shouldn't please kill the link.)

There's got to be a way, right?
You should check whether it says ‘credit eligible’ or whether ACE has reviewed these courses for credit. There are even courses hosted by MIT & Stanford, but they do not automatically become credit eligible.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Supermind's post:
  • SCYankee
(06-15-2019, 06:43 PM)SCYankee Wrote: Has anybody here used  any of these sources to gain college credit?

Coursera
Udacity
Alison
Courses.com
AcademicEarth

Or anything similar?

Coursera, for instance has pages hosted by specific universities:

coursera.org/duke (I don't think this will show up as a live link, but if it does and shouldn't please kill the link.)

There's got to be a way, right?

I have a few certifications from Alison that I got while at an old employer. I always assumed that if those credentials were worth college credits that they would advertise as such. I have never taken the time to bother looking them up on ACE or NCCRS, but I'd be very surprised if they are listed. Edit: I just checked, and they are NOT listed on the ACE credit registry.

Coursera has 5 courses on ACE but they all expired in 2015. Udacity is not listed.

It seems more likely that Coursera or Udacity would work with a partner school to turn them into college credits like EdX has done with some of their courses than to seek ACE recommendations from their courses.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • SCYankee, suzycupcake
Coursera hosts courses that are part of degree programs at specific partner colleges. They're not as integrated as edX where there are a handful of schools that have agreed to accept some other school's MicroMasters programs. I believe there are no more Udacity, Coursera, or edX courses that are ACE-evaluated. The Alternative Credit Project is gone. The only undergraduate program hosted on Coursera is University of London's computer science degree. The rest of the programs hosted on Coursera are master's programs.

ASU has a freshman year program hosted on edX. Charter Oak State College awards credits for a few edX courses through a partnership. In general, if a course does not come from an accredited college or university, it needs to have an ACE or NCCRS recommendation to have a chance of being accepted as college credit. Westcott/Omega Math has a credit laundering partnership with Brandman University, but these kinds of relationships are very rare. You can try completing a MOOC and using that knowledge to complete a prior learning assessment (PLA).
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • SCYankee, studiousimp
MOOC is one of the few acronyms I haven't figured out yet. What's that?
(06-15-2019, 10:07 PM)SCYankee Wrote: MOOC is one of the few acronyms I haven't figured out yet. What's that?

Massive open online course.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
At one time, Udacity did offer courses for credit along with San Jose State University. I enrolled in the Java programming course almost immediately after my twins were born. I worked on the classes very late at night while bottle feeding. I made it through three modules and then realized this was crazy and withdrew. Little did I know that the entire program was sinking like the Titanic. Now, Udacity doesn't really offer credit options.

http://www.openculture.com/2013/07/udaci...ended.html
I googled MOOC and found MOOC.org

So are all of these non-credit courses called MOOCs? Because when I clicked on the links on that site, they just sent me to different areas on the EDX site (like Busdiness, Communication, etc.)

Quote:I worked on the classes very late at night while bottle feeding. I made it through three modules and then realized this was crazy and withdrew.
Maybe I should have done this back when our first kid was drinking his bottle. Now Im trying to find time with four kids running around.
MOOC stands for "Massively Open Online Course." Most of them are not for credit. Some offer a certificate, but these cannot be used towards any degree program.

My suggestion is just to read this forum for a couple of days and you'll get the idea of which sites offer actual college credit recommendations. You could also look at these guides:

http://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseaction=browse.main
http://www.nationalccrs.org/course-credit-directory
I've been reading a lot and am familiar with the big three. I actually knew about TESC and Excelsior 15 years ago, from a book titled, (I think) "Bear's Guide to Non-Traditional Degrees".

That's what introduced me to CLEP tests when far fewer people had ever heard of them.

I have visited the ACE website, but thanks for the NCCRS link. I'll check it out.

I'm a homeschool dad, and have been planning for a long time for my kids to earn at least an Associate's while in their high school years. But as I just now began looking for a simple course to try with my oldest boy (only 11) to gauge his understanding, I decided to also pursue a degree for myself.

I'm a small business owner and a published author, but I always wanted to earn a degree, but wasn't clear in what subject (definiately communications, with many business courses and a few education courses thrown in). But more importantly, I have always hated sitting at a desk, in a classroom, while somebody talks at me. It would seem, as I told my brother, that technology has finally caught up with my personality : )
[-] The following 2 users Like SCYankee's post:
  • eriehiker, studiousimp

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,247 Yesterday, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Coursera Coupon akr680 2 281 04-15-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: akr680
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 875 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 689 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,418 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  AWIT Real-world Cloud Product (Coursera) Transfer cizzie 26 3,448 03-17-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,652 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Review: Coursera Google UX Design Certificate nyjosh 4 2,596 02-26-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,031 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,030 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares