Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cybersecurity Degree Question
(07-14-2020, 01:35 PM)rachel83az Wrote: There are a couple of people on here who amazingly keep track of just about everything (dfrecore is one of them) and are able to make you a more customized plan. The prefixes (COM/ENG/ITS/CYB/etc.) don't necessarily mean much in terms of what will fall where. This is why Public Speaking comes in as COM-209 but will satisfy the oral communication requirement (ENG-202). 

Outside that, you have to contact your advisor and/or simply transfer a class in and see where they put it. The advisors aren't always correct, unfortunately.

Great, I really have a lot of work ahead of me then lol. I was hoping for a dummy proof site that would tell me transfer equivalencies. Although I guess if there was such a site/resource there would be no need for this forum. I can't believe the advisors screw up too, I would have thought they would be the experts at this stuff.
It is a lot of work. But it does help keep the cost of any given degree down. After all, they could say "you must take all your classes here" instead of letting you transfer credits from (almost) everywhere.
Thanks for the info Smile
(07-14-2020, 02:18 PM)ambull01 Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 01:35 PM)rachel83az Wrote: There are a couple of people on here who amazingly keep track of just about everything (dfrecore is one of them) and are able to make you a more customized plan. The prefixes (COM/ENG/ITS/CYB/etc.) don't necessarily mean much in terms of what will fall where. This is why Public Speaking comes in as COM-209 but will satisfy the oral communication requirement (ENG-202). 

Outside that, you have to contact your advisor and/or simply transfer a class in and see where they put it. The advisors aren't always correct, unfortunately.

Great, I really have a lot of work ahead of me then lol. I was hoping for a dummy proof site that would tell me transfer equivalencies. Although I guess if there was such a site/resource there would be no need for this forum. I can't believe the advisors screw up too, I would have thought they would be the experts at this stuff.

Lots of good advice here.  I worked in IT before I ran off to be an airline pilot.  Given the current situation I may be back in IT at the end of the year.

You can basically finish the BA in Comp Sci at TESU with SDC.  That would be fast and economical if you dedicate yourself to it.  It would make the math you are scared of pass/fail as well so that's less stress.

Then try to get into GA Tech's masters program.  If that doesn't work do WGU's master's.

I think that's going to lead you to an actual job in cybersecurity instead of ending up on the helpdesk.
(07-25-2020, 10:53 PM)tallpilot Wrote: You can basically finish the BA in Comp Sci at TESU with SDC.  That would be fast and economical if you dedicate yourself to it.  It would make the math you are scared of pass/fail as well so that's less stress.

Then try to get into GA Tech's masters program.  If that doesn't work do WGU's master's.

I think that's going to lead you to an actual job in cybersecurity instead of ending up on the helpdesk.

FYI, people may have trouble getting into a competitive master's degree program with a TESU degree that is mostly made up of alternate credit sources like SDC or SL since ACE courses are usually not accepted directly. Ultimately it will depend on the entire application package (particularly the statement of purpose, academic recommendations, and in some cases, professional resume and graduate entrance exam scores), but having a lot of ACE courses in your degree core may hurt your acceptance chances. To have the best chance of entry, you always want to make sure your core courses are coming from a regionally accredited college or university. Your GenEds are fair game for ACE providers though since nobody really cares about them. Well, they may care about the math and/or science courses depending on the program, but the rest are usually ignored.

While GA Tech mostly focuses on pre-requisite courses (which means core CS courses for entry into the OMSCS or core Cybersecurity courses for entry into the OMS Cybersecurity program), many other graduate programs will want to look at the most recent 60 credits when calculating your transfer GPA.

WGU is mostly open-entry and they accept ACE, so getting in there isn't a challenge if you have the professional experience and/or certifications necessary to meet the entrance requirements.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(07-25-2020, 10:53 PM)tallpilot Wrote: Lots of good advice here.  I worked in IT before I ran off to be an airline pilot.  Given the current situation I may be back in IT at the end of the year.

You can basically finish the BA in Comp Sci at TESU with SDC.  That would be fast and economical if you dedicate yourself to it.  It would make the math you are scared of pass/fail as well so that's less stress.

I really do not want to end up on a helpdesk. That makes me a bit nervous actually and I'm starting to think maybe something like data analytics would be more inline with my current career. I don't want to take a huge paycut along with working at a helpdesk where the road to a cyber job will be really long.

(07-26-2020, 05:06 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 10:53 PM)tallpilot Wrote: You can basically finish the BA in Comp Sci at TESU with SDC.  That would be fast and economical if you dedicate yourself to it.  It would make the math you are scared of pass/fail as well so that's less stress.

FYI, people may have trouble getting into a competitive master's degree program with a TESU degree that is mostly made up of alternate credit sources like SDC or SL since ACE courses are usually not accepted directly. Ultimately it will depend on the entire application package (particularly the statement of purpose, academic recommendations, and in some cases, professional resume and graduate entrance exam scores), but having a lot of ACE courses in your degree core may hurt your acceptance chances. To have the best chance of entry, you always want to make sure your core courses are coming from a regionally accredited college or university. Your GenEds are fair game for ACE providers though since nobody really cares about them. Well, they may care about the math and/or science courses depending on the program, but the rest are usually ignored.

While GA Tech mostly focuses on pre-requisite courses (which means core CS courses for entry into the OMSCS or core Cybersecurity courses for entry into the OMS Cybersecurity program), many other graduate programs will want to look at the most recent 60 credits when calculating your transfer GPA.

WGU is mostly open-entry and they accept ACE, so getting in there isn't a challenge if you have the professional experience and/or certifications necessary to meet the entrance requirements.

Okay so definitely WGU. I don't care where I get the degree as long as I actually learn and can perform on the job. Just have to finalize my degree plan now.
If you're pretty sure you're going to go to WGU, you might want to look at WGU Academy. Relatively cheap way to get at least some of the prereqs out of the way.
(07-27-2020, 03:03 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If you're pretty sure you're going to go to WGU, you might want to look at WGU Academy. Relatively cheap way to get at least some of the prereqs out of the way.

That sounds like it's for a bachelor's right? I have most of the prereqs complete from previous courses I have taken. I think WGU is the way/only way for me to go if I decide to pursue a graduate degree in the future. Right now though I need to focus on the 20 meter target and finally finish my bachelor's lol.
(07-28-2020, 02:51 PM)ambull01 Wrote: That sounds like it's for a bachelor's right? I have most of the prereqs complete from previous courses I have taken. I think WGU is the way/only way for me to go if I decide to pursue a graduate degree in the future. Right now though I need to focus on the 20 meter target and finally finish my bachelor's lol.

Yeah, sorry, lost track and thought you were talking about planning out your degree at WGU; that you hadn't started your bachelor's yet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 3 80 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 16 174 6 hours ago
Last Post: walruspanda
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 255 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,844 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 555 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 284 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  Seeking Guidance on beginning degree BeginAgain_1980 9 237 03-20-2024, 04:13 PM