Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSST Public Speaking
Has anyone had any luck with the Public Speaking DSST exam? I know that there is a speech tied with it. Your only get 10-15 minutes to prep up a speech from scratch..which is pretty scarey to me...Anyone have any luck???
I took it this past December and passed with a 56. They gave me a topic and had 10 minutes to prepare. The time went by quickly. I was making an outline and working on my intro when they said "times up". So I basically had to wing it. You have to speak for 3-5 minutes. A professor will grade it and give a pass/fail. You must be pursuasive and not waver back and forth.

The written test was not difficult if you have any knowledge of writing structure/preparing for speeches. Good luck!
Great...What kind of topic did you have. From reading it over it seems that it will be a broad topic like abortion or gun control. Without violating nondisclosure...am i on the right track???

lou
lspahn Wrote:Great...What kind of topic did you have. From reading it over it seems that it will be a broad topic like abortion or gun control. Without violating nondisclosure...am i on the right track???

lou
You are on the right track. Some topics i have heard about are wearing uniforms in school or performing community service.
For those of you that have taken the dsst principles of speaking exam, how long did it take you to receive the scores? It says 6 to 8 weeks to receive the scores in the booklet. That seems rather long. I have taken the stats. DSST and received the score the next week. I would appreciate any info please! Also, how hard was the speech graded? I had a hard time with it but did not automatically fail. Thanks in advance.
I am nervous about how well I did on the DSST public speaking exam. In the event that I didn't pass, does anyone know of any fast, six week or less courses, or other speaking exams I can take that are recommended by ACE? Thanks.
2manytests Wrote:For those of you that have taken the dsst principles of speaking exam, how long did it take you to receive the scores? It says 6 to 8 weeks to receive the scores in the booklet. That seems rather long. I have taken the stats. DSST and received the score the next week. I would appreciate any info please! Also, how hard was the speech graded? I had a hard time with it but did not automatically fail. Thanks in advance.

I took it Dec 5, it was reported the 23rd of Jan but I did not receive the results until 30 Jan. Keep in mind it was over the holiday season so it may have been delayed some.
Thanks for the info. I will be happy if I just make the passing mark. I will be nervous until the results get here.
How tough was the written part. I read "The Art of Public Speaking" that is recommended, but the review test they post seemed almost simple. Was the multichoice part easy? The example questions seemed very obvious. Thing like speech based on series of event is A.Topical B.Chronological C. Method. That kind of stuff
lspahn Wrote:How tough was the written part. I read "The Art of Public Speaking" that is recommended, but the review test they post seemed almost simple. Was the multichoice part easy? The example questions seemed very obvious. Thing like speech based on series of event is A.Topical B.Chronological C. Method. That kind of stuff

Written part was fairly easy. Some common sense questions and like what you posted above.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,425 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Masters in Public Admin Mike Williams 11 1,777 06-17-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: teejayb
  Where did they go? Kids missing from public schools bjcheung77 5 637 02-16-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,452 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  From 3 Struggling Public Colleges, a New University Emerges LevelUP 2 755 08-24-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: allvia
  DeSantis signs bill limiting tenure at Florida public universities Pats20 34 3,020 07-16-2022, 04:36 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Arizona Families who bail on public school will get $7,000 per kid smartdegree 9 1,433 07-02-2022, 04:19 PM
Last Post: smartdegree
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,176 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  DSST - Health and Human Development Silly_Me 6 3,105 04-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  DANTES to DSST natshar 9 1,689 03-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Last Post: rachel83az