Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSST not upper level
Yeah, some people take classes without verifying here first. Can't help that. But, just as an example, advising told me that I would need 0 overlapping courses in order to get both the BSBA CIS and the BA CS. This is just not true.

I have also had problems when trying to find out where a given class would fit in my degree plan. I asked about a math class and was told "I don't see why you'd need another math class." But I have the ASNSM Math on my plan. And it's not full of math credits yet.

If you're one of the lucky ones who has had no issues that's great. But your results are not typical and I probably would have given up if I were trying to do this alone and without the forum.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • LevelUP
(05-17-2021, 06:56 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Yeah, some people take classes without verifying here first. Can't help that. But, just as an example, advising told me that I would need 0 overlapping courses in order to get both the BSBA CIS and the BA CS. This is just not true.

I have also had problems when trying to find out where a given class would fit in my degree plan. I asked about a math class and was told "I don't see why you'd need another math class." But I have the ASNSM Math on my plan. And it's not full of math credits yet.

If you're one of the lucky ones who has had no issues that's great. But your results are not typical and I probably would have given up if I were trying to do this alone and without the forum.

I think we agree that coming here first to verify courses is best.

Advising isn't perfect and they do have weaknesses in some areas such as new ACE courses, most RA courses, and some complex situations such as multiple degrees as you mentioned.  They also will not suggest alternative courses to take or help you plan out your degree using alternative credits.

Sometimes there are no answers as was the case when I took Principles of Finance from Sophia.  The course at the time was brand new and nobody on DF had transferred it into TESU yet.  The free trial from Sophia was ending so I took a risk by taking the course and it worked out.  Sometimes people have to be the Guinea Pig and go first Smile

I would say anyone taking advice from me needs to be aware that's I'm human and I do make mistakes ALL THE TIME so verify things with other sources and make your own decision on what is best for you.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(05-17-2021, 07:56 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 06:56 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Yeah, some people take classes without verifying here first. Can't help that. But, just as an example, advising told me that I would need 0 overlapping courses in order to get both the BSBA CIS and the BA CS. This is just not true.

Sometimes there are no answers as was the case when I took Principles of Finance from Sophia.  The course at the time was brand new and nobody on DF had transferred it into TESU yet.  The free trial from Sophia was ending so I took a risk by taking the course and it worked out.  Sometimes people have to be the Guinea Pig and go first Smile

This was not an advising issue - this was a Registrar issue.  Once the registrar brings in a course on someone's eval, and that person reports back here, we have some good information we can pass along to everyone.  Again - this is NOT an advisor helping you.  The advisor would have said "that course doesn't come in" or "we don't know what that course comes in as." Because until it goes through the registrar, the advisors know as little as we do.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-16-2021, 07:36 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 06:51 PM)ss20ts Wrote: There's tons of posts on here about the advisors saying a class doesn't meet a requirement or transfers in as something other than it does.

There are tons of threads, this one included about people that took classes that don't fit their degree plan.

Another thread I recall someone took Risk Management at Study.com, found out after the fact it was only worth 2 credits which didn't fit any degree plan.

Most of these problems wouldn't be happening if these courses were verified by TESU advising and added to their planned courses before they took the course.

I don't need to research DegreeForum to find advisor errors because all I need to find is one error made without using advisors and that would be all the proof I need to use the free advising service.

I also don't need to bring the skeletons out of the closet of the top posting DF people that were wrong here about what courses went where for certain degrees.

I wasn't talking about the threads where people taking a class without verifying it first. Like I said there's a lot of threads on here where people take classes based on recommendations on here and they are told something entirely different by their advisor. Many people believe that the advisors determine how courses are accounted for - what's accepted and where it fits into a degree plan. This is not the case. Advisors are just there to advise. Some are great at it and others are terrible. They do not determine anything. The Registrar is the one who determines how transfer credit is applied. Many people are confused by this unfortunately.
Thanks for all the help everyone. I reached out to TESU and the classes besides Org Behavior are UP/ Org Behavior they say is LL. I can take Corp Finance
for a UP. One thing was there is no study quizes for Principles of Sales like the other classes i took at Davar. Those helped to give an idea what the exam 
would be like. Oh, Well.
(05-14-2021, 11:20 AM)mark14 Wrote: Thanks for the help everyone! That sinks but oh, well. I have taken two davar academy classes with went well. I was thinking on taking Internation Finace, Principles of Sales, and Org Behavior from there to finish the upper level classes. Would that work?

(05-19-2021, 06:16 PM)mark14 Wrote: Thanks for all the help everyone. I reached out to TESU and the classes besides Org Behavior are UP/ Org Behavior they say is LL. I can take Corp Finance
for a UP. One thing was there is no study quizes for Principles of Sales like the other classes i took at Davar. Those helped to give an idea what the exam 
would be like. Oh, Well.

According to Davar's TESU Equivalency Chart, Organizational Behavior should come into TESU as MAN-311 Organizational Behavior.  So it's interesting TESU told you it was LL.  (sometimes these equivalency charts are wrong)
https://www.davaracademy.com/business.html

In this case, if someone on Degreeforum took this course recently, we could find out what it came in as.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(05-19-2021, 10:15 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(05-14-2021, 11:20 AM)mark14 Wrote: Thanks for the help everyone! That sinks but oh, well. I have taken two davar academy classes with went well. I was thinking on taking Internation Finace, Principles of Sales, and Org Behavior from there to finish the upper level classes. Would that work?

(05-19-2021, 06:16 PM)mark14 Wrote: Thanks for all the help everyone. I reached out to TESU and the classes besides Org Behavior are UP/ Org Behavior they say is LL. I can take Corp Finance
would be like. Oh, Well.

According to Davar's TESU Equivalency Chart, Organizational Behavior should come into TESU as MAN-311 Organizational Behavior.  So it's interesting TESU told you it was LL.  (sometimes these equivalency charts are wrong)
https://www.davaracademy.com/business.html

In this case, if someone on Degreeforum took this course recently, we could find out what it came in as.

If you look at the NCCRS guide, it's UL and 4cr to boot.  I'm almost positive TESU brings this in as UL.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 0 223 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: tomheany
  Need 300/400 level credits? tomheany 4 782 01-16-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military CLEP/DSST transcript issues defscarlett 4 504 01-10-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  DSST can't insert school code when remote proctoring. Carnation 1 224 11-01-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DSST Transcript help needed GameSlinger 5 875 08-15-2023, 02:59 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Taking DSST Ethics In Technology Exam Tomorrow Kyler 0 474 07-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kyler
  I got a 71/100 on dsst ethics in tech practice Kyler 3 676 06-26-2023, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Kyler
  DSST Exam Prep Brittanyw1028 5 916 06-09-2023, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Carnation
  DSST Exam Prep Brittanyw1028 0 877 06-08-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Brittanyw1028
Wink Has anyone here attempted the Geography DSST examination? Judy Stone 0 537 05-21-2023, 06:46 AM
Last Post: Judy Stone