Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Data Analytics and AI?
I see the Data Analytics BS and MS have a little machine learning and AI in them. Would they be a good choice for going in to the AI field, or are they mostly for making business reports?  I have long been interested in Data Science, and it looks like it will be a big deal for the next decades. Currently I plan to do Software Engineering followed by a Data Science cert, but a Masters in something close to "AI" might be even better for finding jobs in that field. Could a "Data Analytics" degree serve as a proxy for a "Data Science" degree?
You would probably be "best" served if you got something along the lines of CS or software engineering in undergrad, especially if you plan to go on to a more advanced masters program but looking at the BS DM/DA and MSDA courses I think you could make it work just fine. If you want a grad degree more directly applicable for AI and data science, UT Austin has a really good MSCS, MSDS, and MSAI(computer science, data science, and artificial intelligence) for $10k each and Georgia Tech has an online MSCS(w/machine learning concentrations) and MSDA for around the same. Double check what kind of prerequisites your desired grad programs have and see if you can meet them in undergrad.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 3 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • davewill, origamishuttle, pluggingalong
Here's a recent thread, have you thought about Comp Science or similar Masters? Some Masters degrees have similar courses and/or have concentrations in AI/ML, Data Analytics or Science.  I have a few links within the reply to this thread that I will Link you: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ed-Masters
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • pluggingalong
You've got the right idea with doing software engineering first. A bachelor's in Data Science will teach you manage and analyze, but if you want to be able to write software to do those things, you need the CS bachelors then add on the data science curriculum, as electives within your bachelors, certifications, or an advanced degree.

If you want to do software engineering in the AI field, definitely start with a CS degree. You can add AI electives, or self-study, which can be enough to apply AI tech in wider software projects. If you want to work at the bleeding edge of AI, developing machine learning algorithms and the like, you'll want an advanced degree (MS or PhD).
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I ended up in Software Engineering (Java) with an eye on eventually pursuing the MS in Data Analytics. My transfers were only like 8% of the credits, but I decided to just join WGU and start taking classes. I finished my first class (Health) in about 2 weeks. That's the first college credit I've got in about 10 years. I hope to go a little faster as I figure out the best ways for me to study, and how their systems work. It took about 30 minutes to get through the Proctoring technical issues, and then was able to take the test. I bought a webcam but it wasn't auto-focusing, maybe it was a config issue. For someone who knows what they are doing, the Health class could probably be done in a few days. One advantage of being old is that I have a lot of the illnesses that were covered, lol.
[-] The following 2 users Like pluggingalong's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, origamishuttle
(05-13-2023, 08:37 PM)pluggingalong Wrote: I ended up in Software Engineering (Java) with an eye on eventually pursuing the MS in Data Analytics.

Congratulations! There are lots of resources available for all the courses, and fellow students and alumni want to help you succeed. I recommend searching reddit for writeups from other students, but more importantly, join the unofficial discord: https://discord.gg/unwgu
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes origamishuttle's post:
  • pluggingalong
I'm still in my Software Development path, and have completed 4 classes so far. These were probably my least favorite classes in the degree plan. I did them at 2x speed, which is a lot slower than everyone here, but fine for me. These classes were all classes I had failed multiple times before, so I was being slow and careful. I have a continuous desire to drop out, so I still have to manage that. Next I have a ton of IT classes which should be fun and/or easy for me. I am looking forward to zipping through them.
Btw, since this post was made, WGU updated their BS DA/DM to be a BS DA. The new Curriculum looks a lot stronger IMO to fit your goals as they added more programming, ML, and data science type stuff.

https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/da...ram.html#_
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • pluggingalong

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Calculus in WGU Data Analytics? pluggingalong 2 1,061 05-11-2022, 07:24 PM
Last Post: pluggingalong
  Take Udacity class before WGU Data Management degree? pluggingalong 3 1,963 04-13-2022, 12:31 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  WGU's "core subject areas" & certs for BS-Data Analytics rvm 21 3,777 12-07-2018, 01:20 PM
Last Post: rvm